Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

I also realized that I neglected Skyclad. Probably most people would designate them as a pure folk metal band.

But I still don't know; "folk" metal just seems like it almost always has roots in another form of metal, with folk elements added on to it.

I would call Skyclad the original folk metal band. They took speed/thrash metal and infused it with violins and a traditional, nearly medieval sense of melody. That's basically what Korpiklaani is doing, except using finnish folk music and going overboard with the instrumentation.

For me, Viking metal and Folk metal are two different entities. Pagan metal is iffy, but I usually use the 'Pagan' tag for bands playing folk metal influenced by traditional slavic themes and folk playing. Slavland, Pagan Reign, Arkona, Butterfly Temple, Skyforger, etc...

As far as viking and folk metal goes, the primary difference I look for are traditional folk instruments. All bands dubbed 'folk metal' have traditional folk instrumentation, or a keyboard imitating folks instruments during the songs. Viking metal forgoes this and focuses more on a guitar riff attack--without sacrificing the battlefeild atmosphere. Look at Einherjer for example. They used keyboards, but only for string synths and pads as opposed to flutes and such. The basis on Einherjer songs lie in the guitar riffing. The riffs aren't super melodic, but you can't deny that there is a heavy amount of scandinavian folk influence there. One could also talk about the influence on viking metal compared to folk metal, but I don't want to make this post any more long-winded, haha.

Ensiferum...they were the first folk/viking band I got into and when I saw them at Paganfest, I think I almost had a heart attack

I personally enjoy listening to Wintersun more, but they don't have as much folk influence as Ensiferum.

On another note, for those who haven't heard them before and would like to hear really good melodic death/doom folk, listen to Amorphis.

Their first full-length (The Karelian Isthmus) is mostly melodic death with some folk. Their second full-length (Tales From the Thousand Lakes) is an awesome mix of melodic death, doom, and folk. It's truly an incredible album.

The albums Elegy and Tuonela are also very good, and their two most recent records (Eclipse and Silent Waters) have some really great folk moments. They're kind of hard to classify now. They aren't melodic death metal anymore, although they still maintain some qualities of that genre.

At any rate, great band and they need to be mentioned more in this thread, because they do qualify under the folk category.

I didn't know that :(
yeah, It's been over a year or so. makes me sad as balls.
They play some of the coolest stuff. great riffs and great leads.
and the drums are some of my favorite. love it.

Ensiferum...they were the first folk/viking band I got into and when I saw them at Paganfest, I think I almost had a heart attack
They were quite good at paganfest dispite having a shitty mix.
really made paganfest worthwhile because the rest of the bands blew ass.

oh! and where in the fuck can I get the newest Menhir? Im not about to spend 30 bux overseas, and I've been looking forever!

For those who don't know, Pagan Reign has become Tverd. Vetrodar formed Tverd after Pagan Reign broke up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really consider Wintersun folk/viking metal but if you do, then Wintersun >>>>>>>> Ensiferum

They're my favorite band (don't care if they only put out 1 album, STFU) :heh:

Not mention the almost 2.5 Million scrobbles on Last.Fm of that one album.

For me it comes down to what mood I'm looking for. Korpiklaani and Finntroll always make me smile and tap my toes. I listen to Insomnium and Moonsorrow when I'm thinking about weighty subjects, and when I am feeling like conquering something, it's Ensiferum, Turisas, bands like that.

Elven King makes me all smiles too.

Finntroll and Turisas are great i think. I downloaded Korpiklaanis albums but i thought they sounded too silly in a way.