Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

So lately I've been really enjoying Black Messiah. I only have their first two releases, but I'm looking into getting Of Myths and Legends soon.

EDIT: is the Crom everyone's talking about the German band? If so, I've been listening to their myspace and really digging it, but they seem to be way more power metal than viking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which is worrisome because it implies that ChildrenOfBodom01-89 exist.

Bathory, btw. What's some good bathory-esque stuff? People always suggest Graveland. What else? I want stuff as close as possible to Hammerheart and Nordland I.

Zemial - In Monumentum

It's one of the closest albums that you'll get to Bathory albums like Blood Fire Death, Blood on Ice and Hammerheart. It really recaptures the magic of Bathory's music while still managing to have its own identity.

Bathory, btw. What's some good bathory-esque stuff? People always suggest Graveland. What else? I want stuff as close as possible to Hammerheart and Nordland I.

None better than Graveland.

Morrigan
Nachtfalke
Falkenbach
Crom
Iuvenes
Ereb Altor
Enslaved - Eld

Zemial - In Monumentum

It's one of the closest albums that you'll get to Bathory albums like Blood Fire Death, Blood on Ice and Hammerheart. It really recaptures the magic of Bathory's music while still managing to have its own identity.

Absolutely. As much as I love Graveland and Morrigan, they don't quite capture the spirit of Bathory like this one. Incredible stuff.

I don't really have any more bands to recommend, but I must second Zemial, Ereb Altor, Morrigan, Falkenbach and Crom.

(and J. is right, Graveland > all those bands).

its basically doomsword doing a bathory tribute, if i remember correctly. it didnt do much for me when it was released, but my tastes have changed since then, so who knows...