Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

Absolutely. Kivenkantaja is a fucking powerhouse album; every song is great, and epic as all hell.

Tulimyrsky had its moments (that cover is pretty cool), but overall it just didn't stack up. I'm ready for their next release.

From the Moonsorrow Forum:

"We're scheduling to enter studio in Jan 2010. So far we haven't written anything new so the next opus will take its time to prepare."

Marko

Wow it's going to be forever until i hear some new Moonsorrow.
Ah well i can't wait to see how they are live at Paganfest. I take it you're going Pat?

I hope so. I'm keeping an eye on the myspace for new tour dates.

Sorry to bring more bad news but:

"On to another update: below are the final date additions to the tour.
It is very difficult to get all these fine bands to commit at the right time frames to tour. This year we had to make it a short run because of the bands conflicting schedules. It wasn’t a preference of any kind, just logistics. We will try our best in the future to make this tour go everywhere!"

I'm making the 6 hour drive to Kentucky. My teacher said I can turn in my final paper early so I'm getting my tickets soon.

Now I just have to convince some friend's parents to drive with me out of state. Haha.

I like Kromlek as well, but Fjoergyn gets my vote because they aren't your typical viking metal act. They have great symphonics and awesome progressions, but their lyrical themes deal more with philosophical and spiritual/mythological matters rather than Vikings; but they still have that massive, epic sound (as you said). Kromlek is a more standard folk/viking band, but still really good. Something about Fjoergyn just appeals to me more.

I like Kromlek as well, but Fjoergyn gets my vote because they aren't your typical viking metal act. They have great symphonics and awesome progressions, but their lyrical themes deal more with philosophical and spiritual/mythological matters rather than Vikings; but they still have that massive, epic sound (as you said). Kromlek is a more standard folk/viking band, but still really good. Something about Fjoergyn just appeals to me more.

Yes, I agree with a lot of that. When it comes to lyrics, I think philosophy trumps singing about trolls, haha.

i highly recommend Forefather, and especially their last year's phantastic 'Steadfast'. no old instruments here, but tons of folkish guitars, great clean vocals and a slight old Running Wild feel here and there.

Haven't heard a lot, but every song I've heard from Mithotyn is awesome, and I love falconer so I think it's about time I got my hands on one of their albums