Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

Haven't heard a lot, but every song I've heard from Mithotyn is awesome, and I love falconer so I think it's about time I got my hands on one of their albums

Same here. Mithotyn continues to impress me every time I hear them.

not really. I guess im more into black metal than the folky Ensiferm stuff.
god damn. Im so pissed that Pagan Reign had to go and break up :(

Krig, have you heard Tverd? It was started by Vetrodar after Pagan Reign split up.

Sorry to bring more bad news but:

"On to another update: below are the final date additions to the tour.
It is very difficult to get all these fine bands to commit at the right time frames to tour. This year we had to make it a short run because of the bands conflicting schedules. It wasn’t a preference of any kind, just logistics. We will try our best in the future to make this tour go everywhere!"

I'm making the 6 hour drive to Kentucky. My teacher said I can turn in my final paper early so I'm getting my tickets soon.

Now I just have to convince some friend's parents to drive with me out of state. Haha.

I'm glad I'm not the only one making a long road trip to see Paganfest. I'm also driving to the one in Covington...but luckily its only 4hrs from me. :)

Moonsorrow top`s my list for sure. Cant believe i didnt discover them earlier. Windir, Enslaved...the legends. Waiting for new stuff tho in this genre that will blow me away.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-GOG-6vBAE&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-GOG-6vBAE&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
I only own Primordial's most recent album and it seems like a lot of people like them on here, any recommendations for their earlier albums?

Just listen to everything that they've ever done. They have no albums that aren't great. The first two are definitely more black metal than the others, especially the debut.

all Primordial albums are awesome. the first one is more black metal than the following ones, but all of them are great.
i recommend you get 'Spirit The Earth Aflame' first an then 'Journey's End' and 'Gathering Wilderness'

Kiuas is more power metal and imo their newest album is a fairly close 2nd to Spirit of Ukko, on the same level as reformation. Well everything except "Conquerer."

Yeah, you'd do better to discuss Kiuas in the Resurrected Power Metal Thread.

Primordial's album The Gathering Wilderness is great, and is pretty similar in style to To the Nameless Dead. The only other two that I've heard are Imrama (which, like Omni and Hypnos said, is very black metal) and A Journey's End, which is still very black metal but has more elements of their recent style.

jeez, already on first listen I like "The Gathering Wilderness" better than "The Nameless Dead." Seems to be more interesting guitar work in TGW

Does anyone else here like Raventhrone? I don't really know where to discuss them except in this thread. They're not one of my favorites, but they have some cool, catchy tunes.

Månegarm is probably at the top of my list. Great band with some original sounding stuff.

I used to hate that band for some reason but I've realized recently that Vargstenen in particular is actually a really good album for the most part.