Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

I like Ensiferum and fail to see what's so wildly different about that album compared to the others.

Demo 1, now that is different. You should hunt that down and listen to it.

Recent folk/viking metal acquisitions:

Black Messiah- First War of the World
Dragobrath- And Mountains Openeth Eyes...
Guahaihoque- The Return of the Ancient Gods
Hammer Horde- Under the Mighty Oath
Shambless- Apkas Itulia
Skyforger- Kauja Pie Saules
Strydegor- Legends of Midgard

I would've never expected that from you. I kinda like it too. It's one of my guilty pleasures.

exactly. its bouncy, bleepy, glossy, and just fun.

the ones after it just dont have the magic or spontaneity

RE: Skyforger - i couldnt get into this band. too boring and tired. semigalls warchants was the best.

I just discovered Whispers From a Dead World. The guy behind the project is from Amherst, which is very close to where I'm from in NY. Anyway, I contemplated mentioning this project in the black metal thread (since the music sounds really close to Summoning), but there's a lot of folk influences within the songs, making me think of Moonsorrow and Hellveto (which he lists as influences). It's nothing too innovative, but I think it's still good stuff.

Anyway, it's low-budget, but I'm really enjoying the atmospheric qualities. Also, the songwriting is epic.

Here's the only song I could find on youtube (it begins with a long instrumental folk section, so wait through it):

And here's a link to the myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/whispersfromadeadworld

Last edited by a moderator:
speaking of ensiferum, I really enjoyed their 1st album and recently I've been yearning for it. Last time I heard was about a year or two ago. I think it's time to bust out my bust outter and rekindle my relationship with the ENSIFERUM.