Your Favorite Viking/Folk Metal Band

We were watching Ingmar Bergman's "The Seventh Seal" in one of my classes last week. In the beginning (for those who haven't seen it) the Knight meets Death on the shore. In Swedish the conversation is simply: "Who are you?" "I am Death."

Something goes off in my head...why the fuck does that sound familiar?? Lo and behold I go home and play "Hawthorne Passage" by Agalloch and they put that sound clip in there at 7:45.

Pretty damn epic imo. Don't know if this has been discussed here before...but here is the link to the opening scene:

The line is at 2:40. And if you haven't seen this film you should.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone else here like Raventhrone? I don't really know where to discuss them except in this thread. They're not one of my favorites, but they have some cool, catchy tunes.

i used to own both albums along with his Pazuzu works. yeah, raventhrone was nothing special, a few good songs in an overall mediocre album

so i came across this band a few weeks ago...i was surprised to see no one mention them. they've quickly become one of my favorite folk metal bands...

i don't know much about them, other than they're german. and i can't recall where i first heard of them. either way, i'd probably say ahnenthron is the best of the two albums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrigan
Manowar
Crom
Falkenbach

I really dig Crom, but they seem more like power metal than Viking-era Bathory. Or am I listening to the wrong Crom? Some of the acoustic stuff makes me think of Bathory, but the electric guitars sound more like power metal.

i used to own both albums along with his Pazuzu works. yeah, raventhrone was nothing special, a few good songs in an overall mediocre album

Yeah, this is basically how I feel. Nothing that jumps out, but every once in a while I get in the mood for it. I wasn't aware he had another project. Was it any good?

Yeah, this is basically how I feel. Nothing that jumps out, but every once in a while I get in the mood for it. I wasn't aware he had another project. Was it any good?

i enjoyed it for what it was: straight up keyboard ritualistic chants, spoken word, almost video game satanic music. THe best one: And All Was Silent

i enjoyed suidakra's Auld Lang Syne and a few songs from the next one, but overall they just seem like a melo-death band with some folk thrown in. it just seems too beginner-ish.

that being said, i adore ensiferum's first album.

The line is at 2:40. And if you haven't seen this film you should.

I need to see that film, I've read so much about it.

Emprise to Avalon for the earlier, darker sound. Caledonia or the new one for the newer folkier/melo-deathy sound.

I might as well ask since we're on this topic: I have Emprise to Avalon, Caledonia, and Crogacht; which should I get next?