Your first Katatonia song ever heard (& when)

I think I heard "Deadhouse" first and fell in love with the atmosphere. I think the other song I heard by them was "Murder". Bought "Discouraged Ones" and the "Brave Murder Day/For Funerals To Come" combo album and then every new release as they became available. Missed on an opportunity to buy "Sounds of Decay", "Teargas" and "Tonight's Music" because I was low on money and didn't think they would become unavailable so quickly. I'm annoyed. Recently haven't been able to afford albums, too, so "Brave Yester Days" and the box set are on my wish list.

I think it must have been 'passing bird' on a metal hammer disc. I then borrowed tonights music and last fair deal from my friend and havent looked back.

I feel like such a Kata-newb reading all of this, haha. The first song I ever heard, was Omerta, and it was about three or four months ago. In December, I believe. ;[

I was instantly in love. My favorite album is either "Last Fair Deal Gone Down," or "Saw You Drown." (Even though the latter is an EP, wow, it is amazing.)

Early 2003, with Ghost of the Sun. Not exactly the best intro to Katatonia, except the, 'Truth is I have seen it come....' part. However, the album is awesome, and I liked it. Then I got Tonight's Decision and I liked that considerably better, and then everything went down/uphill from there. Heh.

Good topic.

For some reason I missed out on the band during my Paradise Lost/My Dying Bride/Anathema experience in the mid 90s. It wasn't until I heard 'Deadhouse' on a Century Media sampler that I heard them, and even then I wasn't very impressed. I was amazed at the whale sounds in the bridge, though. The basic riffing and production didn't impress me much considering the stuff I was listening to at the time.

Then 'Tonight's Decision' came out, I loved the artwork, and remembering that 'Deadhouse' was a pretty cool track, I bought it. 'For My Demons' kicked in and I was hooked. This was in 1999. It's strange to think it was 6 whole years ago!

damn, it was so long ago now that i cant remember exactly which song i heard first. I think it was murder, thought it was the greatest thing i ever heard. bought bmd then, but it took a while to grow on me, but when it did, i was a new man!

it was "burning the remembrance". It was after my visiting Sweden. And this song reminded me the mood I had in Stockholm. I don't know why :)

First I heard "Strained" from some compilation... Was not so much impressed, I was metal freak in that time and needed something with more power... So my friend borrowed me "BMD" - yeah now I was impressed :) Later I heard Tonight's Decision and Last Fair... and this second album got me totally into the new Kata style.

I too first heard "Brave". It had just been released and I was tape trading with a couple of mates and was on a major Opeth trip at the time.

I had seen the reviews of BMD and for some reason came to the conclusion that I would not like it. A mate had the album with him at a party and played it...

I demanded a tape of it at the time and went and ordered it straight away the next day. I wish I had been a little more open minded at that point as the reason that I did not buy "Saw You Drown" was because it did not have Mr. Åkerfeldt on it.

What a prick...

I think it was back in 2002.
My ex-boyfriend, who introduced me to metal music in general, played me teargas from Last Fair Deal Gone Down. Since then I've purchased all Katatonia albums and seen them live once.

Oh... I'm new here, so hello all.