Your last purchase??

There are still great companies out there that give you your money's worth (if not more). The only problem is that almost all of them are upper-end/boutique builders and can be pretty pricey. Someone who has the money and is willing to invest 2500-3000 for a custom Suhr or Anderson is going to get a guitar that is worth that much money. Unfortunately, there just aren't many companies that cater to people who want a nice guitar but are shopping in the Korean-made Ibanez price range. It's not too hard to find a good mexican Fender and turn it into a great player though.

I think the biggest thing when buying guitars (especially expensive ones) is where your financial priorities are. I, for example, have no problem paying top dollar for gear that I really want. On the other hand, I would never buy expensive cars, extravagent computer setups, huge home entertainment systems, etc. I had a lot of killer gear when I was still in high school simply because the only things I put my money toward were A)saving for college and B) gear. I wasn't going out, partying, putting money into my car, etc. like most of my friends were.

There are still great companies out there that give you your money's worth (if not more). The only problem is that almost all of them are upper-end/boutique builders and can be pretty pricey. Someone who has the money and is willing to invest 2500-3000 for a custom Suhr or Anderson is going to get a guitar that is worth that much money. Unfortunately, there just aren't many companies that cater to people who want a nice guitar but are shopping in the Korean-made Ibanez price range. It's not too hard to find a good mexican Fender and turn it into a great player though.

I think the biggest thing when buying guitars (especially expensive ones) is where your financial priorities are. I, for example, have no problem paying top dollar for gear that I really want. On the other hand, I would never buy expensive cars, extravagent computer setups, huge home entertainment systems, etc. I had a lot of killer gear when I was still in high school simply because the only things I put my money toward were A)saving for college and B) gear. I wasn't going out, partying, putting money into my car, etc. like most of my friends were.

Wise words

Well put. But I know that you can find some awesome, reasonably priced guitars if you take your time, try a bunch, shop around and don't just jump at the latest craze. Just because it's 3000 dollars, doesn't mean it fits your hand or suits your style. Pickups, tuners, pots, hardware...that can all easily be changed out for a reasonable buck if you love the neck and the feel and balance of the body.

I'm with you on much of that...to me, a car is transportation...a TV is something I have for the kids(and to watch Lost), and a computer is for internet access...I work with computers enough during the day to care what cpu I'm coming home to.

I agree to a point. I'm more than happy to drop a lot of money into something if I know that that's the last time I will have to for it.

i.e. Instead of buying a POS australian built car, I have a fast japanese sports car, which I know will cost me a lot less in the long run (and is also more enjoyable).
I don't have high end home entertainment, but I do have products/brands that I know are decent, not some really badly made product that will break in 6 months time.

I.e. I'm happy to ride the high end of the value for money line... I don't mind paying for something, but I don't see the point in paying for more if you're not getting more.

Custom guitars of course are a different thing, when you really are getting the value attached to the high price tag (as opposed to an overpriced brand name guitar). Then it comes down to what's the best quality/features you can pay for, and is it worth buying into that level of quality.

p.s. I play a korean built Ibanez :erk:

Yesterday i got:

Matrix
Matrix Reloaded

I am Legend

Muse---Absolution

Imo the Matrix movies are some of the best out there now. Imo they are all in the top 50 movies ever.
I love them so much...

Redragon

I bought Helstar's Nosferatu from iTunes...very cool metal album...ashamed I didn't have it before now.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again and again... Fucking HELSTAR RULES!!!!! :kickass:

Yesterday in the mail i got:
Helloween - Walls of Jericho
Helloween - Keeper 1
Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow
Gamma Ray - Sigh no More

All on vinyl, like a true metalhead :headbang:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again and again... Fucking HELSTAR RULES!!!!! :kickass:

Yesterday in the mail i got:
Helloween - Walls of Jericho
Helloween - Keeper 1
Gamma Ray - Heading for Tomorrow
Gamma Ray - Sigh no More

All on vinyl, like a true metalhead :headbang:

Zach...do you have Gamma Ray's Somewhere Out In Space? Sounds pretty good...I'm thinking of picking it up.

Nah, i don't have much gamma ray unfortunately. I have Powerplant, No World Order, Majestic, Land of the Free II on cd and the first two on vinyl.

Actually, it just occurred to me that i own 2/3 of their studio releases... hmm... i guess i have plenty of GR haha.

But no, i need to get the other three. I've never really heard shitty Gamma Ray (though i thought both Majestic and LotFII were sub-par for gamma ray but still decent albums) so i'm excited to hear the ones i've missed.

I bought a new KOMPUTARZ

Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4 iP35
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz 6MB
2X OCZ Reaper HPC 2048MB
2X Western Digital Caviar XL 500GB
MSI GeForce 8800GT OC 660MHz 512MB

Nah, i don't have much gamma ray unfortunately. I have Powerplant, No World Order, Majestic, Land of the Free II on cd and the first two on vinyl.

Actually, it just occurred to me that i own 2/3 of their studio releases... hmm... i guess i have plenty of GR haha.

But no, i need to get the other three. I've never really heard shitty Gamma Ray (though i thought both Majestic and LotFII were sub-par for gamma ray but still decent albums) so i'm excited to hear the ones i've missed.

Personally, I prefer Scheepers era Gamma Ray. I'd definitely recommend getting Heading For Tomorrow, easily my favorite. If for nothing else, buy it for the song Free Time.:lol:

The remixed/remastered version of Still Life that also comes with the album in surround sound. :kickass:

I'm debating whether or not to get the re master since I already have the original. Is it really worth it? I am however going to get the new Porcupine Tree Lightbulb sun re master though.