Your last purchase??

Guitar mags = super overrated

Have you ever checked out "Guitar Techniques"? That's the only one I would strongly disagree with you on. You're actually getting useful information, spot-on transcriptions, etc. instead of 30 pages of Good Charlotte interviews.

Guitar World has gotten better since they've merged with Guitar One and have started devoting a few more pages towards instructional stuff. The only problem is they cater almost exclusively to the lowest bracket of players. I bought it every month for about 3 years before I finally realized how much money I was spending compared to how little I was getting out of it. There's also the fact that if you took out all of the ads, the magazine would shrink down to about half of it's size. I still buy an issue here and there when there is a particularly cool feature though. Guitar Player is ok to, probably somewhere in between Guitar World and Guitar Techniques, but closer to Guitar World imo.

True, for ones like Guitar world where the amount of ads and interviews that have more to do with the player than what they are playing. Guitar Techniques, for example, is completely the opposite though.

um... last purchase was pain of salvation remedy lane and the BE dvd/live cd. the dvd is my favorite of the bunch so far. i love all of it though.

As I said, I can get it tax deductible, and I like reading about guitar players. Is this a problem, especially seeing as that I am a gutiar player, just as a business man reads business journals etc. I'm not getting them because I need help with my scales, but it is always interesting to read about different guitar players take on different aspects, and sometimes something pops up which I'll use, big deal.

no offense intended. Like I said, I still pick up a copy every now and then when there are features that intrigue me. I'm not exactly on an anti-Guitar World crusade or anything. My only problem (and of course, the "problem" only extends as far as causing me not to go out of my way to blow cash on it) is that it's gotten so watered down, even since I started getting it back in '01 or '02. It just seems like relevant material (be it interviews, lessons, etc.) is losing out to things like excessive advertisements. Issues with stuff I personally find interesting are getting harder and harder to come across.

Guitar World aside, I definitely reccomend checking out Guitar Techniques. I don't know how easy it is to find in AUS as it's printed in England. I've been having a hard time finding it in the states for the past 4 or 5 months.

Actually, I was implying that despite how good (or not) the printed material is, the only way anyone is ever going to learn anything on guitar or any instrument is by playing it. Reading will only get you so far. Not worth my time. Enjoy

Sorry to break this up guys but

:D <3 <3 <3

A plane ticket! ;)

xxx

16 days and 35 mins.....
(but who's counting ;))