Your latest G.A.S. purchases

I've just thrown down on a Samson Resolv 2:1 monitor set for a home recording setup I'm putting together. Cost me more than I really wanted to spend but meh. I decided on the Samsons as they've had some pretty good reviews and don't cost the earth.

Resolv2_1-web.jpg

just got my hands on a firepod-should arrive during the next 2 weeks.
A laptop is on it's way, too-so no more Terratec Phase 22 into a computer with 512 mb ram and something like 1,6 ghz.

Dudeszzzz... I got the Gibson Tony Iommi pickup in a trade last week. I was hoping to get the typical Gibson PAF sound. I wanted to have a metal axe and a non-metal axe so I was gonna put the Iommi in my MusicMan and put its' DiMarzio Evolution in my new ESP/LTD. I got the Iommi in the Silo and HOLY SHIT! It's hotter and has a fuckin great mid crunch. It has all the harmonics, articulation and clarity of the Evo with more mids and a little more juice. Talk about unexpected surprises. I suspect this might be what all the hype about the Bare Knuckle pickups really is. I guaranfuckintoldya no EMG is gettin this fuckin sound fo shizzle.

Also, I hooked it up with a coil-tap ( It's 4 conductor ) and the tapped sound is slightly lower output but that's it. No single coil sounds in here. This p'up must push the piss out of an old Marshall.

Just had to share, I'm super stoked!!

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Tony-Iommi-Guitar-Pickup?sku=360939

NOTE: How is it that every time I try to take a step in a non-metal direction, I wind up getting MORE metal. WTF?
I sold the Triaxis/2:Ninety for the PittBull cause I wanted more than just teh brootalz and the PittBull does metal even better.
I tried Boost/OD and it get me nice low-gain blues drive but also gave me more beerutillz.
I tried to get a warmer, lower powered pickup and I wind up getting the definitive metal pickup.

How do no metal? ¯\(°_o)/¯

Was bored last night and browsing eBay and accidently bought an ADA MP-1 preamp. Always wanted one of those back in the early 90s. :)

Was bored last night and browsing eBay and accidently bought an ADA MP-1 preamp. Always wanted one of those back in the early 90s. :)

Nice preamp imo, I have mine since 2 years now and I'm totally happy with this:headbang:

Btw, last purchase for me, an other sm57...

I got a pair of Duncans for my Joe Perry LP, Custom for bridge and '59 for neck and boy, are these things versatile. Screw EMG's, these things are the shit!
I decided to go for 250k volume (push/pull for serial/paralellswitching) and 500k tone pots, and it seams that I`ve hit the sweet spot :D

Top o' the rack (not the Furman, haha):

hedd.jpg

It's the older 24 bit/48k Crane Song HEDD! I've seriously searched eBay, the Gearslutz classifieds, and Craigslist for the past year trying to find one, so when this one surfaced on eBay I threw a pretty tall bid at it to make sure it didn't get away from me. Ironically, the dude selling it was seriously about 15 miles from me, just a ferry ride away really. Anyway, I scored it for $1,325 plus shipping, which is a little more expensive than I've seen 'em go for, but is FAR better than dropping $3,620 on a new 192k version, which I have absolutely no need for, being that I work in 44.1. The only other thing the old version lacks is the "Tube" knob, which I'm sure is a great process, but I can deal without it considering the price jump it would take! Anyway, this thing slays in the mastering chain. You can push it very hard before audible clipping occurs. The "Triode" process didn't sound right on the mix I ran through it, even in moderation it just sort of made it sound gritty, but the "Pentode" process sounded cool, although it was very subtle. I ran a mix through it that I had originally been mastering through the Finalizer, and I ended up just dropping the Finalizer entirely...the loudness I had been getting from the Finalizer was very easy to attain with just the HEDD (-8dB-ish), and the whole mix just sounded more alive and open without the Finalizer touching it. Pretty cool!

that fucker that should deliver my firepod just crushed it-thank god that I haven't paid him yet...
so still in search for a multichanel interface-sucks!

Aaron, how is the joemeek? I hear a lot of cool things about it.......

First of all, holy crap- did the Twin Q go up in price or something? It's $949 on all the big gear vendors, but I got it brand new from an eBay store for $629 in December of 2007. I remember thinking that it was a really good deal, but not that good of a deal! I swear they used to be more like $750 new.
To answer your question, I've tracked clean vocals and heavy guitars through it, and there hasn't really been anything mind-blowing about it actually. The EQ seems fine but doesn't really have any special qualities to describe, but the compression sounds good in moderation. If anything, it's just nice having EQ and compression in line a bit from the get go. I don't know, I really should A/B it against the Digi002 or Presonus Digimax pres I have and see how it compares. Maybe I just haven't tried it on enough sources to really get excited about it!