Your latest G.A.S. purchases

Thanks mate.

Also ordered one of these to try in the Hellraiser:

EMG_81-7_str.jpg

(It's an 81-7)

Cab should be coming after I deposit the funds!

I feel I can answer that as I wanted one for awhile - mainly, I don't think there's much construction-wise that separates them from the already ridiculously well-built Mesa Recto Standard (oversized) cabs (well, maybe the plywood is slightly thicker, ooh and can't forget the metal corner covers :loco: ), however, what really intrigues me is that internal baffle they have that's designed to break up standing waves; here's a (tiny) pic from their site:

412B%20inside3_tn.jpg

I ended up going for a Recto cab because of the price (good luck finding a used Mills, though maybe now they're more common as the company has gotten bigger), but I've still always been curious about 'em!

Didn't know about this cabs.
Gave a quick read at their website, and it looks very good.

What's the big plus of this cabs?

Supposedly, it sounds ridiculous. "Worlds better" than other 4x12 Cabinets. You guys can be the judge of it when I mic that S.O.B. up in a month and change...

If it's not good, it's going right back for a full refund.

I'm excited though, very excited.

That cab looks really interesting Greg. I'd love to hear one, but living down here the chances of that are very slim.

One thing I don't get is why they rant about their engineering principles so much. http://millsacoustics.com/quality.html

It's still just a box enclosure, except it has a protruding baffle in the middle. I'm sure they sound fine and all, but if they are really looking to get around the drawbacks of old-school cab design, they would take more of an Opal approach and actually radius the sides, edges, eliminate standing waves at every possible opportunity & design custom drivers to voice well with the cab design. I dare say it would take something more than a perforated internal baffle and applying finish to the inside of the enclosure to revolutionize cabinet design, haha.

I put one in the bridge of mine and I'm never looking back!

Awesome! Well what got me is that the 707 has way too much of that single coil clacky fret buzz sound, and I just can't take it anymore. It sounds like a mega thick pickup, but the 81 might tighten the guitar up and provide a bit more usable mids.

It all depends how it works in the mix.

That cab looks really interesting Greg. I'd love to hear one, but living down here the chances of that are very slim.

One thing I don't get is why they rant about their engineering principles so much. http://millsacoustics.com/quality.html

It's still just a box enclosure, except it has a protruding baffle in the middle. I'm sure they sound fine and all, but if they are really looking to get around the drawbacks of old-school cab design, they would take more of an Opal approach and actually radius the sides, edges, eliminate standing waves at every possible opportunity & design custom drivers to voice well with the cab design. I dare say it would take something more than a perforated internal baffle and applying finish to the inside of the enclosure to revolutionize cabinet design, haha.

I've been considering building a guitar cab with no parallel walls inside and some diffusion. Biggest issue: I'm a poor craftsman! I'll let you know how the cab is in a month or so. I'm hoping to be blown away. You can argue with design, but if the result is stellar, you win.

Yeah most definitely man. I definitely hope for your sake the cab is tits. I greatly look forward to hearing the A/B with the Recto Standard. Both cabs may as well be worth their weight in gold over here.

I just hate baseless sensationalism and marketing. The thing is that the end users catch onto this and often spread false impressions about a piece of gear. Being recording engineers I think we have a whole new level of scrutiny for this equipment that the end user never even touches on, much less considers deeply. I'm sure the cab is rugged and sturdy and well constructed, but from an acoustics POV there is nothing to impress me on their design/quality document.

Makes you wonder, do they have acousticians working on this stuff or just craftsmen? Are any of the company members electrical engineers that know about proper speaker loading/mounting, or are we all just doomed to follow each other in circles?

The owner of the company (Dave) is the only one who answers phones and represents the company. He sounds QUITE confident that his product is superior. Being THAT confident is definitely a "turn on" to wanting to purchase something. I'm sure someone would have called him out on it as well by now if he was a crock of shit. If this cab destroys, I'll definitely know from the second one of my six amps makes it into the jack!

I feel I can answer that as I wanted one for awhile - mainly, I don't think there's much construction-wise that separates them from the already ridiculously well-built Mesa Recto Standard (oversized) cabs (well, maybe the plywood is slightly thicker, ooh and can't forget the metal corner covers :loco: ), however, what really intrigues me is that internal baffle they have that's designed to break up standing waves; here's a (tiny) pic from their site:

412B%20inside3_tn.jpg

I ended up going for a Recto cab because of the price (good luck finding a used Mills, though maybe now they're more common as the company has gotten bigger), but I've still always been curious about 'em!

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm going to take a deeper look at it.
As have been already said here, it hasn't got so many differences that would make it way better than a Mesa cabinet.

Anyhow, a cabinet is a cabinet, so many say, but 3 of the cabinets that I have, have the same speakers (vintage 30) and they all sound different. Marshall 1960AV Slash, Mesa oversized and Diezel Rearloaded

Easy. It's their USP. If you're selling the same ol' as do many competitors, you better make sure your clientèle conceives an added value to complement the higher price-tag.

Factual and conceived quality doesn't have to be equal by any means though. :saint:

Looking forward to clips...

Well look, I'll give you the info you need to work it out yourself.

Each panel of 50mm thick Acoustisorb 3 costs $66 and is 2.4 x 1.2m. Each panel will give you 16 triangles. So 16 x 50mm and you get how much corner height you get out of each one!