Your latest G.A.S. purchases

basstar.jpg

Got one of these last week. Scoff if you like, but it's the most comfortable bass I've ever played, weighs five pounds, costs almost nothing and sounds surprisingly huge. It also means I can catch the bus to a gig, get wasted afterwards and still get my gear home.

It's a Ministar Basstar. The RRP on them is $189 US. I picked it up on the store because I thought it was going to be hilariously awful. Long story short, I walked out of the store with it. They make a full range of similarly minimalistic guitars and basses (fretless basses, guitars in the style of Teles and Les Pauls). I'm probably going to be buying the Les Paul one.

1. clips or it didn't happen.
2. clips or it didn't happen.
3. there's no way you could get me to stage with that? are you playing metal?

1 and 2: sloppily played song that needs to be ironed out
3: That's fair enough; they're definitely not for everyone, but since I tend to wear a purple suit and a fedora on stage, the bass isn't the most outlandish thing about my look. I guess you could call it metal; we take a lot of influence from Opeth and Katatonia, but the music isn't quite that heavy, as the clip shows. I guess, by the same token, you'd never get me wearing ten pounds' worth of mahogany in a shitty venue with the optimistic hope that the crowd can hear the difference ;).