YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

i wouldnt have bitched about it if i hadnt read through 12 pages of this and watched both your first video and the updated more in depth video. i get where you are coming from though and thank you for even replying to my post

I get that and I don't mean to be a dick about it. I just feel like I've given so much information and the more I share this the more questions I get.

I am willing to re-amp with matched tones for a fee of $20 a song. That would be worth the effort for me and I will take care of all tone matching. I've done this for forum members already.

For example, if your anything like me, you will use a few pretty drastic eqs to get the tone you like.

I've got impulses on my kick and snare tracks. :D Surely this is just one way of using match EQ. You can do so much more. F.ex. your favorite analog EQ settings can be stored with this. When will they come up with dynamics matching? That would be cool...

Hey guys! I'd love to make another video demonstrating match EQ's accuracy. To do this I need your help! I need:

1) raw DI guitar tracks
2) reamped guitar tracks (preferably good sounding ones :D)
3) backing track

Please PM me about this and I'll give you a shoutout in the video! Thanks in advance guys!

Hey guys! I'd love to make another video demonstrating match EQ's accuracy. To do this I need your help! I need:

1) raw DI guitar tracks
2) reamped guitar tracks (preferably good sounding ones :D)
3) backing track

Please PM me about this and I'll give you a shoutout in the video! Thanks in advance guys!

I will def do this. Gonna pm you tonight. And gimme ur address so I can mail you a beer for all your hard work

Hey so something I noticed that I would really like to know if anyone else is experiencing...
If I play out of an impulse I made, when I stop playing there is always this phazy delay effect following it. It like plays what i was just playing a few times more but quieter and quieter. Anyone getting that?

Here's an A/B test I matched from Underoath Illuminator stems. Which of these clips are matched and which are the real deal? Take a guess!

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how your guesses were validated! Was it because the tone was different or the fact that it's been played in a sloppy way. Again.. not stating that it's my playing since I don't make mistakes. <3 I might've recorded it tighter than the original you know! ;)

I would love it if someone could send me some clips to match. Im still having the same issues with my matches and I'd like to try it out on some one elses guitar.

If interested you can send me a di clip a reamped clip, the desired tone clip, and preferably a clip of just you playing around so I can make sure the tone sounds right when not playing the same clip.

Also I've been trying really hard to get the horizons tone from parkway drive. I'm willing to pay someone to match eq my setup for me. I have all the clips ready so just let me know if there are any takers

You can tell the second one is matched because the low end isnt as tight.

Yeah. Noticed it too and the middle frequency bite is different. This was a pretty obvious comparison. I had way less gain than UO which was a personal preferance. Their tracks are quad-tracked and mine are just doubled. The guys from UO can play the riff and I went for it by ear and I'm sure I'm failing at it. :D So you can probably tell the difference even if the tone was close. Also the fact that their tracks were quad-tracked was what made the match EQ process a bit impossible since I can't get one guitar tracks soloed. Also I used Ozone 5 for this... then I realized I had been getting some of those low end issues after I started using the Ozone 5. I did the same test with Ozone 4 and it was closer but I could still tell the difference so I thought it wasn't worth posting. :)

If i capture a guitar in ozone 5 and then match it to the exact same guitar track the eq is flat, this is proof that ozone 5 doesnt add extra low or high end no? proof to me anyways.

or

if i match my own guitar to a reference in ozone 5 and then import it to harball the eq spectrum is perfectly matched, confused to why so many people are getting incorrect results in ozone 5, works spot on for me.

or as an alternative to harball run the matched ozone 5 track through voxengo curve eq, again for me the eq is virtually flat.

Only found this today and just wanted to say thanks for all the great tutorials and tips on this. I'm itching to get home and give this a whirl. I remember a couple of years ago using the Curve EQ but not to this extent. I am now on the serious hunt to find these mythical and mystical 'stems' :D