YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

I'm using ozone 4. Would be nice if someone could post a track they player to get matched and if I still have issued I know it's not my interface or tone settings

I had the same problem as you and it took a long time to rectify the issue. What input are you going into? I recommend a high z in order to preserve top end as the regular line inputs lose treble. Secondly I had a cheap guitar whereby it had a pick guard and a huge slab of wood cut out under the pick guard. The thing was very bass prominent with little treble, also the pickups made a big difference,I had high output dimarzio which reduced the highs and didn't help tighten the bottom end. I've got a new guitar with lower output pickups and a better body and I also invest in an audio interact with a one Meg ohm input.

i really doubt that it's amp settings only!
i also do not like bassy/boomy guitars even on palm mutes
still i wish that there was a bit more balls in my tones.
i am using an axe-fx, it has tons of parameters and i almost
tried every single of them. maybe i am wrong but as soon as
it comes to the cab section i start thinking,
oh this sounds not that good.

When I had the Axe-Fx I felt like the "depth" control on page two gave more of that super low end.

Soundos awesome man. Does how u pan the track u play matter. The tones I get sound real close when panned center but when I pan them left or right it's pretty bad

Panning shouldn't make a difference. I'll check your video first!

deffpony, I think I know the reason you're experiencing this. There might be two reasons. One of them is what stuglue said about the high z input. I'm going into a cheap M-Audio Fast Track MKII with an instrument input.

The other problem might simply be that your patch has too much gain. Try this with way less gain. :)

Well I'm using the maudio fast track pro so I'm not sure if that is a high z input. My guitar is and ESP mh-1000 with emg 81 /85. I have tried less gain and it does basically the same thing. I am going to try using a friends line 6 podx and some varying gain to see if that fixes it. I might also try to use a more aggressive multiband compressor on the low ends. I let you know how it goes

Apparently the fast track pro is only a 220k ohm impedence and the regular fast track is 500k ohm. I have the original fast track so I will try that first.

Well the fast track pro has about a 2.2k ohm impedance. Can I run a 1m ohm di box into the m audio and which di box would be a good choice. I've looked online but none of the boxes tell u the impedance value

for me i'm using a Tascam FW1884 audio interface with built in control surface. It has a 1 meg ohm input. Not sure what else is out there but Google will surely set you straight

Hey, it's most likely the gain that's causing this. If you're using the same instrument input when playing and matching, the end results should sound the same.

So... You need less gain. Your matched tone is already very close but if the dynamic side is messing it up a bit which is affected by gain.

I got asked what settings I have in my Killswitch Engage patch. Here it is:

Ok so I tried using a Line 6 Tone Port and also the old Fast Track MKii that CK is using. Im getting the same issues. My only other idea is to post the files up here so maybe someone else can try and match eq it for me. This way I know if im doing something wrong or if its the gear.

Here is the clip Im trying to match.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22950750/Horizons Clip.wav

Here is what I got when trying to match it
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22950750/Horizons tone.wav

Now here is just my playing through pod farm (no ozone)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22950750/Horizons No IR.wav

And here is the dry signal
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22950750/Horizons No Amp.wav

All the tracks of me playing are exactly the same length. I messed around a bit toward the end so that you can hear what it sounds like outside of the riff.
You have the track im getting so you can hear what is wrong with my results. I put in the track with and without the amp sim so you can use something diff if u think necessary.

Would be greatly appreciated cause after this im giving up.

Cheers!

I've been thinking recently of programming my Axe FX II with a shitload of IR'd patches. Think I might spent a day doing soon! Tis where the Rock band files can be very handy.

This is what I would do... ;)

deffpony, I match EQ'd that tone. First of all I suggest you tune your guitar before match EQing... your track is out of tune. :) Also I immediately heard that there are two guitars playing in the track that you are trying to match EQ. This is why it will not sound exactly the same. Also... if the original tracks are quadtracked there is probably some heavy compression going on in some of the guitar tracks. That's why the low end of that track sounds loose. This means there's dynamic sh*t happening in the track so you'll most likely need to add a compressor or limiter if you want that sound. When I match EQ'd it I felt like my tone was always a lot tighter than the original so that's why you'll have to compress. If it's multiband-compression that took place, I give up. It's not what match EQ does. Match EQ does EQ, not dynamics.

So, there are times when dynamics mess up the whole match EQ process. I usually don't care about that since I'm most likely lowcutting and compressing guitars in post-pro anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thanks alot man. I really appreciate your help. So what did u do to get this tone. Did u use the dry signal into another sim. I understand exactly what u mean by dynamics. If its no trouble a signal chain or patch would greatly help me understand that method behind achieving this dynamic. Thanks again man

Ahh... I just realized I didn't explain the clip. :D The first clip is the original tone and after that it's your raw playing going through TH2 and Ozone 5. (doesn't matter if it's Ozone 4 or 5)

The patch doesn't have compression in it. It's simply a tubescreamer with drive at 0 tone at 5 and level at 7. The amp is a Rectifier on modern and everything at 5. Gain on 7 though. It would sound even closer if I put a 1176 compressor with a short attack time after Ozone but I kept it raw.