YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

Hahahah... no problem man. It didn't take much effort. I'm match EQing stuff all the time so this was just a quick test. :)

deffpony, I match EQ'd that tone. First of all I suggest you tune your guitar before match EQing... your track is out of tune. :) Also I immediately heard that there are two guitars playing in the track that you are trying to match EQ. This is why it will not sound exactly the same. Also... if the original tracks are quadtracked there is probably some heavy compression going on in some of the guitar tracks. That's why the low end of that track sounds loose. This means there's dynamic sh*t happening in the track so you'll most likely need to add a compressor or limiter if you want that sound. When I match EQ'd it I felt like my tone was always a lot tighter than the original so that's why you'll have to compress. If it's multiband-compression that took place, I give up. It's not what match EQ does. Match EQ does EQ, not dynamics.

So, there are times when dynamics mess up the whole match EQ process. I usually don't care about that since I'm most likely lowcutting and compressing guitars in post-pro anyways.

I think you'll find that the clip only has one guitar. When Adam D records he doesn't really quad track anymore from what I hear

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you'll find that the clip only has one guitar. When Adam D records he doesn't really quad track anymore from what I hear

Yea I know for a fact that its a single guitar. No quad tracking on that record, Adam hasn't done that in forever.

I have used the th2 with the identical setup u described and i still had an issue. I'm gonna try it one more time tonight and if it doesn't work I know I have issues somewhere in the processing side.

Hmm... weird... the track just sounds a bit like it has some chorus/phaserish content in it. Maybe he's using multiple mics that cause that effect? Could it be a center guitar track in that part? Well I guess it doesn't matter all that much. :)

I just realized that ofcourse match EQ can't match a sound of two mics that are out of phase.... well what it does is it actually fixes the phase problem but if you like the phasy sound then I don't think you can get it this way. :S

Adam D uses 'the idiot setup – the [Shure SM] 57 through a decent mic-preamp'. I think it just sounds a bit chorus-y because its so saturated.

Yea and I know for a fact that the use a maximizer in their chain which is giving it that extra character

Massive props on all tutorials and the work you put into this, I matched the machine head blackening tone earlier and it's impossible to tell the difference, needless to say i'm very excited. Nicely done sir.

Do you guys tend to do surgical Post-EQ in the chain after the IR or do you think that's just causing detriment to the guitar tone too much? Like small cuts in the 600-800 range to fit around vocals and 200-300 range to make a little more room for your snare in your mix. Also further HP/LP (even though the tone was most likely already HP/LP'd).

It depends. Remember that those dips have most likely been done already. There are cases where the tracks automatically sit well but ofcourse the snare and vocals are always a bit different so I'll always EQ a bit here and there but nothing drastic.

ok i just tried this using a track from the sacrament producer album and failed miserably....i followed your instructions exactly and i used th2 with the same settings and ozone 4 with the same settings inside of cubase 5 yet the end result always sounds like a slightly eq'd version of the raw track i recorded.....this is driving me insane :cry:

any suggestions or anything i could post to get help understanding whats wrong here please please help me man because this is an awesome trick that i would love to figure out

and one more thing. i tried to record a video like you did with camstudio and i cant get the audio to record my playback even after i enabled stereo mix :( everything is fail

Well... I kinda made this tutorial because there were about 12 people asking me how to do this. I thought I'd save some time and make this video tutorial so I don't need to teach people separately. This thread has gotten soooo long and only half of you guys get things right the first time. Okay, I made another video of some of the problems people were having. I've literally told you everything I know. I've also shown you how I do it and how well it works. As people might've noticed already I do help my forum mates a lot but this is starting to take too much time.

I'm doing it for free guys and usually the resolution is something I've already said in the tutorials. Usually it's the project settings; seems like most people don't even know what these are... they are essential whether you use match EQ or not. Go learn them instead of ignoring it. This happends 60% of the time when something goes wrong. Another common problem is that the tone you are using to match isn't similar enough to the original. I'm not talking EQ-wise. The same amount of gain, structure, dynamics....

I'm don't want to be unsupportive but this is taking too much time for me.

Well... I kinda made this tutorial because there were about 12 people asking me how to do this. I thought I'd save some time and make this video tutorial so I don't need to teach people separately. This thread has gotten soooo long and only half of you guys get things right the first time. Okay, I made another video of some of the problems people were having. I've literally told you everything I know. I've also shown you how I do it and how well it works. As people might've noticed already I do help my forum mates a lot but this is starting to take too much time.

I'm doing it for free guys and usually the resolution is something I've already said in the tutorials. Usually it's the project settings; seems like most people don't even know what these are... they are essential whether you use match EQ or not. Go learn them instead of ignoring it. This happends 60% of the time when something goes wrong. Another common problem is that the tone you are using to match isn't similar enough to the original. I'm not talking EQ-wise. The same amount of gain, structure, dynamics....

I'm don't want to be unsupportive but this is taking too much time for me.

And if cash were involved?

i wouldnt have bitched about it if i hadnt read through 12 pages of this and watched both your first video and the updated more in depth video. i get where you are coming from though and thank you for even replying to my post

Hey just a cool little side note. You can use the deconvolver to make impulses out of any eq chain you have. For example, if your anything like me, you will use a few pretty drastic eqs to get the tone you like. I've had 6 eqs at times for one guitar. Well if you disable the amp simulations and any thing else in the chain so that you isolate the cab you are using and the eq's you can make a new impulse by recording the sweep through the signal chain. This is great for reducing CPU usage and minimizing plug ins.

I hope that makes sense. Basicly you are creating a new impulse but adding the eq to your current cab. I might post a video tutorial on this giving CK credit. I know it's simple but I think it's helpful