YT: Match EQ and IR Tutorial!

You can use match EQ for overdriven bass but for cleanish stuff it won't work. Just like match EQing clean guitars will not work. It's just like match EQing a guitar to sound like a violin... spectrum isn't as essential in those tones but the dynamic content in clean tones is a lot different between different types of basses.

I never eq match a riff that involves palm muting, i always aim for something thats open chords. Ill chuck in a multiband compressor
afterwards if need be but i generally never palm mute in my playing so its alot more simple for me i guess.

Where is the MATCH EQ CONTEST?

You can use match EQ for overdriven bass but for cleanish stuff it won't work. Just like match EQing clean guitars will not work. It's just like match EQing a guitar to sound like a violin... spectrum isn't as essential in those tones but the dynamic content in clean tones is a lot different between different types of basses.

I see, thank for the explanation Clark!

It does work with kicks and snares though? I thought I seen a post where you used match EQ on some.

I see, thank for the explanation Clark!

It does work with kicks and snares though? I thought I seen a post where you used match EQ on some.

Match EQing drums is a bit on the complicated side also. People rarely realize that drums have pitch also. So in orded to match EQ drums they have to be in the same pitch. This can easily be fixed with Superior Drummer f.ex. but other than that I don't recommend doing it. Kicks however are easier to match EQ. Snare has so many different characters like ringy snares f.ex. that can't be achieved by EQ.

hehe can't believe I read the entire 14 pages :p
I am gonna try to get as close to Lamb of God tone with my Mark III and a 57 then EQ match it :). Worth a shot right!

Also, you guys know where I can find the Sacrament stems? I know they exist somewhere.

Last question, take Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater for example. The intro seems to be double tracked stereo. How do you separate it out? Do I just use Cubase's split stereo to 2 mono tracks feature? And then use one of the two as a target?:Spin:

Last question, take Dark Eternal Night by Dream Theater for example. The intro seems to be double tracked stereo. How do you separate it out? Do I just use Cubase's split stereo to 2 mono tracks feature? And then use one of the two as a target?:Spin:

That or simply pan the track 100% to one side. I used to be able to split tracks when importing but for some reason Cubase doesn't ask those questions anymore.......

That or simply pan the track 100% to one side. I used to be able to split tracks when importing but for some reason Cubase doesn't ask those questions anymore.......

I see. But you see, that will cause both the LR guitars to be panned to 1 side. And then we try to match them to 1 guitar, wouldn't that yield incorrect results?

you may have accidently pressed "do not ask me again" for import on audio files. If you reset your Cubase settings, that should work

I see. But you see, that will cause both the LR guitars to be panned to 1 side.

This isn't actually true. If it's 100% panned on one side it's simply playing the other side of the stereo track. So panning to the left f.ex. will simply lower the volume of the right tracks and vice versa.

Yeah I'll have to look through my Cubase settings. :)

I have successfully matched the EQ of the Contortionist tone and it sounds amazing in Ozone, but it sounds like shit as an IR. I generated a sweep in deconvolver, made a time selection exactly like in the videos, put the Ozone eq on it, and then rendered it as mono. I load it into Deconvolver and process it using the settings you gave, then load the IR (yes, it's the IR, not the sweep through Ozone), and it sounds almost worse than without it. What is going on?

Project settings khz and bit should be the same in Deconvolver and your DAW. Also when you export the audio file out from your DAW it should be in mono .wav format with the same khz and bit settings.

This is what the problem is 99% of the time. I said it in the video and people are ignoring it. :) EXPORT WITH THE SAME KHZ AND BIT RATE!

This isn't actually true. If it's 100% panned on one side it's simply playing the other side of the stereo track. So panning to the left f.ex. will simply lower the volume of the right tracks and vice versa.

Yeah I'll have to look through my Cubase settings. :)

Super cool, thanks man, didn't know thats how that worked. I will give that a shot then. By the ways, I attempted parts of Constant Motion with a mic-ed amp and EQ match and hoooooollly, it sounds incredible. :D :Smokin:

By the ways, I attempted parts of Constant Motion with a mic-ed amp and EQ match and hoooooollly, it sounds incredible. :D :Smokin:

This is a really cool way to ensure that your track still sounds super analog.

There are endless ways of using match EQ. I'll say it again and again although I'm starting to sound like a match eq geek. :D