10 essential death metal albums I MUST own!

aw shucks! You guys are too kind.

Guess I just think that although there may be records that may be better now than some of those (eg Pierced from Within is probably better than Effigy) it is important to have some idea of how the records fitted in to the big picture of DM.

Jondur said:
aw shucks! You guys are too kind.

Guess I just think that although there may be records that may be better now than some of those (eg Pierced from Within is probably better than Effigy) it is important to have some idea of how the records fitted in to the big picture of DM.

True.. I actually prefer Effigy Of The Forgotten by far, though. I think the über-technical elements found in Pierced From Within can be a tad boring now and then.

In no particular order:

1. Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick

2. Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream

3. Incantation - Mortal Throne of Nazarene

4. Immolation - Here in After

5. Carcass - Necroticism

6. Death - Individual Thought Patterns

7. Vader - De Profundis

8. Entombed - Left Hand Path

9. Resurrection - Embalmed Existence

10. Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

Jondur has a damn good list. Other good ones to check out are Grave's "Into the Grave", Gorguts' "Obscura" and Monstrosity's "In Dark Purity".

Necrophagist's "Onset..." is also excellent as many have mentioned, but it's out of print at the moment. Willowtip Records will be releasing of a re-recorded version of it soon that will contain a full band with an actual drummer.

Eternal_Decadent said:
check Darkthrone's debut album Soulside Journey

:err: erm...isn't that black metal? :rolleyes: Or is it more death?

Anyway, cool lists - it's useful to see various titles recommended by various different people.

I think I like the more technical stuff - Cryptopsy, Nile, Suffocation, etc. - instead of just strasightforward brutality.

Are these bands you are recommending like those I just mentioned above?

High On Maiden said:

Anyway, cool lists - it's useful to see various titles recommended by various different people.

I think I like the more technical stuff - Cryptopsy, Nile, Suffocation, etc. - instead of just strasightforward brutality.

I wouldn't recommend anything to a ignorant 14 year old like yourself.

Hmmm, let me take a shot at a list:
The Chasm - Deathcult For Eternity: The Triumph
Miasma - Changes
Demilich - Nespithe
Morbid Angel - Blessed Are The Sick
Necrophobic - The Nocturnal Silence
Immolation - Dawn of Possession
Gorguts - Obscura
Therion - Beyond Sanctorium
Deicide - Legion
Origin - Informis Infinitas Inhumanitus

I no particular order, mind you.

Crytopsy - None So Vile (all hail lord worm!)

Deicide - First three (deicide, legion, once upon the cross)

Morbid Angel - Covenant, Altars of Madness, well....all of them but heretic, which is their worst.

Suffocation - Pierced from Within is a MUST!!! Also get Effigy of the Forgotten and Despise the Sun. All three are must haves.

Vader - Pretty much anything, although their early stuff was a little better imo.

Incantation - Onward to Golgatha

Bloodbath - Resurrection through Carnage

Infester - To the Depths in Degredation

.......that should keep you going for awhile. All those are killer, and all pretty unique so you won't get bored.

A few mentioned that are cool, but more thrash tham DM imo.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul

Sepultura - Beneath the Remains and Arise

High On Maiden said:

Nah - Soulside Journey is very death metal. Darkthrone only went black metal with A Blaze in the Northen Sky. Soulside is a great album.

If you like technical stuff you should check out Lykathea Aflame (sound like a melodic cryptopsy) and The Necrophagist.

Thanks, that technical stuff is more what i'm after at the moment I think.

One thing though - where can I get some of these titles? I've searched on what I thought to be a pretty good mail order site for some of these - The End Records - but they don't have any. e.g. lykathea aflame, etc.

:(

P.S. Avgrund - DIE.

High On Maiden said:
One thing though - where can I get some of these titles? I've searched on what I thought to be a pretty good mail order site for some of these - The End Records - but they don't have any. e.g. lykathea aflame, etc.

Supernal have the Lykathea Aflame cd (it's called Elvenefris) and they're UK based.

The Necrophagist CD is out of print but Willowtip are re-releasing it.

A band who float my boat (but may not be your thing) are Ominous who sound like a mix of Meshuggah and At The Gates. Check out www.omissa.com

Mithras are ace too - you'll have all seen the ridiculously over-the-top Terrorizer review but regardless of that it's still a good album.

this is the ultimate list .. the pure classics and influential releases ...

POSSESSED - Seven Churches
DEATH - Leprosy
MORBID ANGEL - Altars of Madness
OBITUARY - Slowly we rot
AUTOPSY - Severed Survival
CARCASS - Necroticism ..
SUFFOCATION - Pierced from Within
DECAPITATED - Nihility ( a modern day classic)

Naggamanteh said:
Never mind Cannibal Corpse, the year is 2003 and you might wanna go for something that is not released for money and for gay metalheads from Germany. Sell your soul to the likes of Brodequin and you will hear and understand the difference.

Brodequin = BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP TONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGA
TONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGA

BLUUUUUUUURPPPPPPP
BLUUUUUURPPPPPPPPP
TONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGA
TONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGA
TONGATONGATONGA

BLURRRRRRRRRRRPPPP

Emperor Magus Caligula said:
Brodequin = BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRPPPPPPPPPP TONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGA

BLUUUUUUUURPPPPPPP
BLUUUUUURPPPPPPPPP
TONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGATONGA
TONGATONGATONGA

BLURRRRRRRRRRRPPPP
The point being?

Can someone tell me whether Blood Red Throne are similar to bands like Crypotpsy, Nile, Suffocation, etc.? I've heard good things about them - are they worth investigating?