2007 - the best albums

I agree as well. In Absentia is still my fav but I think FoABP is my #2

You know what I just relistened to in absentia. Musically it's surely their most accomplished cd. It's prolly the most complex cd i've heard. It has the darkest undertones of any cd i've heard both lyrically, and musically, but it also has a sort of twisted beauty to it. Hard to explain. So yeah. I'd have to agree giving it the first position and fear second.

You know what I just relistened to in absentia. Musically it's surely their most accomplished cd. It's prolly the most complex cd i've heard. It has the darkest undertones of any cd i've heard both lyrically, and musically, but it also has a sort of twisted beauty to it. Hard to explain. So yeah. I'd have to agree giving it the first position and fear second.

It just has something that you cant really put your finger on in every damn song. Great record

It just has something that you cant really put your finger on in every damn song. Great record
There are phenomenal songs on IA, but it also has some of their weakest i.m.o., like The Creator Has A Mastertape, Strip The Soul, Wedding Nails. All other post-Signify albums don't have such clearly weaker songs and are much more constant in quality i.m.o.

Strip the Soul is anything but weak. This is fukkin ridiculous how little respect it gets on here. I suggest everyone give it another chance.

Strip The Soul and the creator have the most insane lyrics. Commentary on F'ed up mind sonnn.

Strip the Soul is anything but weak. This is fukkin ridiculous how little respect it gets on here. I suggest everyone give it another chance.

Strip The Soul and the creator have the most insane lyrics. Commentary on F'ed up mind sonnn.
I was expecting that reponse from you ;)

I have played IA numerous times (first PT I heard 4 years ago) and those songs just don't do it for me. Sleep Together is a song in the same style as Strip the Soul and I love Sleep Together, live it is absolutely crushing.

I got IA when It came out in 02, which was the first time I heard them. I think I got the cd because steve produced blackwater, which I think is by far the best opeth release. Trains was an automatic favorite, and still is. They slowly, but surely climbed to the top, and are one of my all time fav ofc. Honestly since stupid dream there hasn't been a pt song I don't like in some way. I don't really see the resemblance between sts and st.

edit: also wanted to say besides trains at the time I didn't quite get them, but luckily I kept trying.

gotta love this forum, and how we don't mind we bring up the same shit every so often.

I got IA when It came out in 02, which was the first time I heard them. I think I got the cd because steve produced blackwater, which I think is by far the best opeth release. Trains was an automatic favorite, and still is. They slowly, but surely climbed to the top, and are one of my all time fav ofc. Honestly since stupid dream there hasn't been a pt song I don't like in some way. I don't really see the resemblance between sts and st.
I meant, they're similar in the way that they're both heavy groove-based, droning songs, rather than melodic and varied.
edit: also wanted to say besides trains at the time I didn't quite get them, but luckily I kept trying.
My IA fave was also Trains from the start and stayed for quite some time, now I have to say it's "Heartattack in a Layby".
gotta love this forum, and how we don't mind we bring up the same shit every so often.
Haha, very true, it's all emotion man! ;)

Just purchased Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters, and I have to say it is already one of my favorite black metal albums (they are much more than an average black metal band however, much thought went into the music including some great ambient sections). Even when they play a "typical" sixteenth note black metal riff, it stands out due to excellent melodies or harmonies, and is also very cold and grim at times. The album contains a very earthy, mysterious aura to it. Great shit! :headbang:

Just purchased Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters, and I have to say it is already one of my favorite black metal albums (they are much more than an average black metal band however, much thought went into the music including some great ambient sections). Even when they play a "typical" sixteenth note black metal riff, it stands out due to excellent melodies or harmonies, and is also very cold and grim at times. The album contains a very earthy, mysterious aura to it. Great shit! :headbang:

Yes, this album is really good, its very close to the top of my list for this year.

After hearing Profanatica's new one on vinyl I have to rethink this year :) ....well maybe not so much, but vinyl definitely gave it justice.

I just got back from Best Buy, looked through all of the CD's, and saw some terrible things. I know this is a little off-topic, but since it got brought up by my post in this thread about Job For A Cowboy I've got to say that I am disgusted by the number of these emo-hardcore-metalcore bands with stupid names and ridiculous song titles that are trying to be death-grind metal now. Black Dahlia Murder had a picture of Times Square or something on the cover of one of their albums, now the new album looks like an Emperor CD cover and they are trying to be death metal? There was at least 8 other CD's just like this with terrible band names and just awful, awful song titles (stickers on the CD covers always say the same thing: "for fans of Job For A Cowboy, The Red Chord, Through the Eyes of The Dead, blah blah blah). I knew that this was happening, but not to this degree. I am disgusted! :puke:

I really do love old-school death metal, but this crap really does NOT seem to be about the music at all, just like several of you warned me (Bluesky, Life Depraved, Stefan amongst others). I am shocked that it has gone this far, what a fucking shame.

Here's my very rough top 25 list. It WILL change.

1. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omniscient
2. Clutch - From Beale Street To Oblivion
3. Symphony X - Paradise Lost
4. Ulver - Shadows of the Sun
5. Riverside - RAPID EYE MOVEMENT
6. Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte
7. Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
8. Blackfield - BLACKFIELD II
9. Amorphis - Silent Waters
10. Paradise Lost - In Requiem
11. Swallow the Sun - Hope
12. Novembre - The Blue
13. Akercocke - Antichrist
14. Antimatter - Leaving Eden
15. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
16. Kamelot - Ghost Opera
17. Threshold - Dead Reckoning
18. Russell Allen & Jorne Lande - The Revenge
19. Nahemah - The Second Philosophy
20. Sieges Even - Paramount
21. Wilco - Sky Blue Sky
22. Evoken - A Caress of the Void
23. Moonsorrow - V: Havitetty
24. Queens of the Stone Age - Era Vulgaris
25. Neurosis - Given to the Rising

http://www.last.fm/user/Phoenix-5/journal/2007/12/6/591842/

finally my current top 30:

1. Primordial - To The Nameless Dead
2. Alchemist - Tripsis
3. Warning - Watching From A Distance
4. Lunar Aurora - Andacht
5. Evoken - Caress Of The Void
6. Dalriada - Kikelet
7. Farsot - IIII
8. Wolves In The Throne Room - Two Hunters
9. Candlemass - King Of The Grey Island
10. Antimatter - Leaving Eden
11. Verdunkeln - Einblick In Den Qualenfall
12. Deathspell Omega - Fas
13. Virgin Black - Requiem: Mezzo Forte
14. Paradise Lost - In Requiem
15. Therion - Gothic Kabbalah
16. Dirge - Wings Of Lead Over Dormant Seas
17. Root - Daemon Viam Invenient
18. Moonsorrow - V: Hävitetty
19. Shining - V: Halmstad
20. Rotting Christ - Theogonia
21. Neurosis - Given to the Rising
22. Novembers Doom - The Novella Reservoir
23. Moonspell - Under Satanae
24. The Ocean - Precambrian
25. Behemoth - The Apostasy
26. Nile - Ithyphallic
27. Akercocke - Antichrist
28. Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
29. Winds - Prominence And Demise
20. Helrunar - Baldr Og Iss

biggest disappointments:

Nargaroth - Semper Fidelis (what a big pile of crap!)
Drudkh - Estrangement
Pain Of Salvation - Scarsick