2008 Political debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why does the guy have a middle eastern name ? Just curious, I thought his father was white. But then hasnt he had moments of anti white sentiment or is that just hear say ?

We left after around an hour of the debate, now Im thinking I missed something. At that point I felt Obama slayed McCain due to McCains only insistance that the government needed to cut spending... its been like the talk of every political campaign I remember for decades yet it has never happened. Im waiting for someone to take a stand about our country succumbing to third world standards as corporate bosses procede down the avenue of global economics... which by the very term "global" indicates we are going to go backwards, being as the rest of the world had nothing to offer but cheap, desperate, exploited labor... not that Im saying we have gone backwards or anything........ :rolleyes:

B. Hussein Obama said that McCain was "absolutely right" 8 times during the debate. Admitting your opponent is right? That's almost as bad as Biden's gaffes...LMAO.

It is a common, respectful, and powerful argument style Obama employed. You concede where your opponent is correct, then you follow it with a critique. It's how intellectuals debate.

B. Hussein Obama said that McCain was "absolutely right" 8 times during the debate. Admitting your opponent is right? That's almost as bad as Biden's gaffes...LMAO.
Not as bad as George Bush agreeing with Al Gore 43 times during a debate in 2000 and then losing the popular vote but becoming president.

Judging someone by their middle name is like judging someone by their hair color. Absolutely baseless ignorance. By ignorance, I don't mean lack of knowledge as the word is commonly used. I mean literal ignoring of known reality.

We have a problem with you making an issue of it, consciously stressing it as if there is some inherent meaning to be found there that isn't. I don't like blatant stupidity.

I can't speak for the others, but I get pissed off when people try to sell me shit or try to snowball me with lies or twisted truths. Hence, you making an issue of a guy's middle name because "zomfg it's Hussein - a ridiculously common middle eastern name." You might as well come up with glib axioms for McCain, Palin, and Biden while you're at it, and finish middle school sociology.

Doesn't happen often between us, Ken, but +1

You couldn't get a job at McDonalds and become district manager after 143 days of experience.

You couldn't become chief of surgery after 143 days of experience of being a surgeon.

You couldn't get a job as a teacher and be the superintendent after 143 days of experience.

You couldn't join the military and become a colonel after a 143 days of experience.

You couldn't get a job as a reporter and become the nightly news anchor after 143 days of experience.
BUT....

'From the time Barack Obama was sworn in as a United State Senator, to the time he announced he was forming a Presidential exploratory committee, he logged 143 days of experience in the Senate. That's how many days the Senate was actually in session and working. After 143 days of work experience, Obama believed he was ready to be Commander In Chief, Leader of the Free World .... 143 days.

We all have to start somewhere. The senate is a good start, but after 143 days, that's all it is - a start.

AND, strangely, a large sector of the American public is okay with this and campaigning for him. We wouldn't accept this in our own line of work, yet some are okay with this for the President of the United States of America ?
Come on folks, we are not voting for the next American Idol!

QFT !!!

Yeah, I don't like the bailout...why can't they create a bill that employs a bottom-up strategy, like helping people directly with their fucked up mortgages rather than buying them up outright? Congress simply hasn't explored better alternatives.

The thing to remember is that money just doesnt disappear, someone has the money, a small handful of people pulled a little scheme and they have the money, the rest of the population pays for it out of their paychecks, presumably for work that really does need to be done, though the percentage is diminishing. Capitalism at its finest, where scumbags rule and the masses drool, and sweat and bleed.

None the less, there are many that are not going to vote for him due to the fact that they simply cant fantom the day such a name would go on the history books as an American president, and while you say how hiliarious, I say how ironic. Such a shame all the anglos involved in politics are total wanky assed ass clowns. Im sure "Obama" is a wanky assed ass clown too, we need someone that represents the working class of the country.

Right then, I'll just forward that memo on to all the 20 somethings running Fortune 500 companies and whatnot. Cheers.

EDIT: let me be clear. I'm not arguing that young people are inherently smart. Watch any reality show and you'll be shown otherwise. I am arguing that age is irrelevant to the discussion of experience, and "experience" in terms of days is irrelevant to the discussion of capability. A man may spend 50 years getting to amateur status in Wei-qi, but an 11 year old kid may become world champion. Cases must be judged individually. Sweeping statements of any kind are always foolhardy.

That said, here's an older, experienced guy. He's been president almost 8 years, far more than 143 days. What he says: "Yesterday, the House of Representatives voted on a financial rescue plan that had been negotiated by Congressional leaders of both parties and my administration," Bush reminded the audience. "Unfortunately, the measure was defeated by a narrow margin. I'm disappointed by the outcome, but I assure our citizens and citizens around the world that this is not the end of the legislative process."

"Producing legislation is complicated, and it can be contentious. It matters little what a path a bill takes to become law."
Experience?

...like helping people directly with their fucked up mortgages rather than buying them up outright? Congress simply hasn't explored better alternatives.

Hmm... I dunno about that one. It appears people forgot about "buyer beware" and jumped earnestly way over their heads to get something perhaps they really couldn't have afforded. But, yes, lenders did prey on the ignorance of many, and that is sad.

I was in Phoenix all day. Wall Street looked pretty positive around noon, but I didn't see where it finished. Mayhaps it will correct itself and we can all keep our money in our pockets. Hopefully with lessons learned...

Status
Not open for further replies.