2008 Political debate thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3555561.ece

That settles it, I'm voting for McCain. I don't buy for a second that Barack really denounces this pastor. Especially considering the relationship they have had with each other. I'm surprised this incident is even a big deal considering America fully embraces the extreme of religious lunacy.

Barack is going to be at a high school tomorrow, only a few miles from my house.:err:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article3555561.ece

That settles it, I'm voting for McCain. I don't buy for a second that Barack really denounces this pastor. Especially considering the relationship they have had with each other. I'm surprised this incident is even a big deal considering America fully embraces the extreme of religious lunacy.

Barack is going to be at a high school tomorrow, only a few miles from my house.:err:

I just love how the media always finds a way to make things that are irrelevant to the elections more than they really are.

First it was the Clinton/Obama racial card topic, then it was the whole "Obama is a terrorist OMGZ!!!", and now this bunch of trashy tom-foolery. The American people let the media control their minds to such a degree that they would question a candidate for something as stupid and irrelevant as say getting into a fist-fight back in middle or high school. The same goes for positive publicity as well. For example, McCain is a Vietnam veteran and POW; therefore, that automatically qualifies him to be a "great" president and there are a lot of people that will vote for him solely for this reason. I am not specifically trying to back Obama up or trash on McCain, these just happen to be the specific examples that came to my mind.

So a completely trivial matter that was nothing to do with Barack and was simply just a pastor speaking his opinions (not fucking Barack's opinions), which Barack had no control over... Has "settled it" for you?

Wow you must be a rather maleable person.

Not to mention, those things said by that pastor are perfectly justified. "Oh teh noes! He said America isn't perfect omgomgomg".

I just love how the media always finds a way to make things that are irrelevant to the elections more than they really are.

First it was the Clinton/Obama racial card topic, then it was the whole "Obama is a terrorist OMGZ!!!", and now this bunch of trashy tom-foolery. The American people let the media control their minds to such a degree that they would question a candidate for something as stupid and irrelevant as say getting into a fist-fight back in middle or high school. The same goes for positive publicity as well. For example, McCain is a Vietnam veteran and POW; therefore, that automatically qualifies him to be a "great" president and there are a lot of people that will vote for him solely for this reason. I am not specifically trying to back Obama up or trash on McCain, these just happen to be the specific examples that came to my mind.

Like I said, human focus is hard to come by, everybody has tunnel vision and gets caught up in the distractions.

So a completely trivial matter that was nothing to do with Barack and was simply just a pastor speaking his opinions (not fucking Barack's opinions), which Barack had no control over... Has "settled it" for you?

That's how the media control some people... Sad, isn't it?

Wow you must be a rather maleable person.

Not to mention, those things said by that pastor are perfectly justified. "Oh teh noes! He said America isn't perfect omgomgomg".

Oh no, that sort of pushed me over the edge. I have said before that I don't see much behind Barack. He has charisma, no doubt, but he seems to be a weak in actual substance. That change is still a mystery.

My statement is completely justified. Look at the past and some of those involved in the presidents "Spiritual" committee. Ted Haggard, Jerry Falwell, Billy Graham etc. The list goes on. These fellows have done some serious harm to America and, in my opinion, it is completely fine to get pissed off at Barack for what this man said. Look at the power and influence him and nutjobs like him could have if Barack got elected. Or McCain for that matter...:erk:

You and phanto (Which I have to say, if you are referring to me, that statement is bullshit. Read my other posts and you will see why!) seem to underestimate the power these religious lunatics are given in America.

Although, I will admit, I pay more attention to this aspect of candidate than most.

Regardless of your previous posts, you said: That settles it, I'm voting for McCain.

Yeah, like I said before, people like Obama's pastor do not belong anywhere near the White House. As of now, I'm not too familiar with McCains religious group. Rest assured that if they turn out to be comparable to that of Obamas I'll reconsider. Look at the past influences these people have had in politics.

Keep in mind, this election is between two people that I would really not want in office. Yes my opinion has changed and it may change again. I don't care one iota for any of them. If I really did feel strongly for a single candidate my opinion would not have changed as much as it has these past few weeks.:)

The same goes for positive publicity as well. For example, McCain is a Vietnam veteran and POW; therefore, that automatically qualifies him to be a "great" president and there are a lot of people that will vote for him solely for this reason. I am not specifically trying to back Obama up or trash on McCain, these just happen to be the specific examples that came to my mind.

I am coming up on 20 years active duty. Most of my family has served in some aspect of military service, and there is a chance my kids will as well. Someone that knows the military through serving, and will fight for service members will definitely get my vote over someone who has never been in the military.

That's me personally, and I have friends that will vote for anyone with any environmental experience.

It all comes down to which candidate will support your stances..

I am coming up on 20 years active duty. Most of my family has served in some aspect of military service, and there is a chance my kids will as well. Someone that knows the military through serving, and will fight for service members will definitely get my vote over someone who has never been in the military.

And how does that make McCain a better politician?

And how does that make McCain a better politician?

Did you not read my post? I couldn't give a crap if he was a better politician. I said I would NOT vote for someone that didn't have any military experience. I know then that he/she will have EXPERIENCED the military, and not have just read about it, and will most likely vote favorably on things that affect military families.

All politicians are just that - politicians. I want one that will vote/veto based on my stances. MY STANCES. I repeat MY STANCES. Did I mention MY STANCES?????

None of the people up for election wouldn't be there if they weren't good "politicians".

And that's how people like Bush get voted in.

What a wonderful system.

Ridiculous... The system rules!

What's the difference if an environmentalist or person that has a strong tie to social programs getting elected? That person's views would be voted on by a majority of people with similar views. I wouldn't personally vote for him/her because they don't represent my views. It's just been fortunate for *me* that my views are represented by the current administration.

You don't like the system, move out of the country. If you like the system but don't like the current leaders (local or national), V O T E T H E M O U T!

People that bag on the system crack me up.

EDIT: I just realized that you aren't American... Not sure where to go with this now... "People like Bush" also get voted in because their opponents are polar opposites to the majority of American views. I guess you just need to study American politics more...

I'm just saying I think it's ridiculous that someone could get voted into the most powerful position in the world based on their past life and the positions they've previously just happened to be in (ie: POW). Rather than their policies and political stance (ie: What they are actually going to do with the power they recieve).

I'm just saying I think it's ridiculous that someone could get voted into the most powerful position in the world based on their past life and the positions they've previously just happened to be in (ie: POW). Rather than their policies and political stance (ie: What they are actually going to do with the power they recieve).

Because their views DO coinside with mine. By serving in the military, that person will have experienced what I have, and have an understanding what people in the military need. Their policies and political stances will generally favor military families (in other words MY FAMILY). I then will vote for that person. How can I be more clear?

The people in the military NEED nothing, its one of the best gigs in America once your through basic. Talk about job security and benefits... what a gig. Problem with having voted these current batch of military men is we voted in the oil industry.... now thats worked really well.... no ? Oh yea, one other thing.... Bush was not elected by a majority

One would think our military "men" would have Americas best interests in mind...... not thier own........ HELLO! At one time they did, but that too has become a dead American ideal. Maybe its good to see where at least in this example of our military personals head is at.

So here we have this big military operation, yet our borders are not protected, nor our work resources... nor our resources.

Debt up the ass to look after the "NEEDS" of our military...... OH YEA! MAKES SENSE TO ME!

I agree with this, but theres alot of problems. Say theres three parties, then the person elected gets 34 percent of the vote. Then what if the ideas they represent arent in the best interest of the entire population of the country ? Which will unboubtedly be the interests of the corporate ladder climbers and "investors". It will just be more of the same old bullshit.

We have had a few decent third party canadates over the years but the media took care of them quickly over trivial bullshit and they only would have broken up the vote anyhow. Its just a far from perfect or even good system. I dont have the answer but I dont think it will ever be a good system. Its all bogged down in beurocratic bullshit and short term goals that never go anywhere. In fact I believe that is one of the largest problems... all this short term crap, doesnt seem like anyone has focus on what it will bring down the road and doesnt care so long as they get their brownie points between elections.

One would think our military "men" would have Americas best interests in mind...... not thier own........ HELLO! At one time they did, but that too has become a dead American ideal. Maybe its good to see where at least in this example of our military personals head is at.

Not quite sure where you are going with this. Are you saying that I don't give a shit about America's best interests? LOL

Offensive much? But oh well, that's one of the aspects of this country I love to champion.

Well, I'm not going to get in a pissing match with one anti-military person.

I was just trying to explain to a non-American that a person's background is grounds for people to vote on them.

This thread now reminds me of some lyrics from Avenged Sevenfold:

"All the way from the east to the west
We've got this high society looking down on this very foundation
Constantly reminding us that our actions are the cause of all their problems
Pointing the fingers in every direction
Blaming their own nation for who wins elections
They've never contributed a fucking thing to the country they love to criticize"

Status
Not open for further replies.