26 dead by fire during Great White club concert!

Hey Hawk how's it going? Haven't seen you since Annihilator's Forum.

Well anyway's, yes very sad, it's 39 ppl believed dead now and the lead guitarist is missing.

Saw film footage on the TV this morning pretty scary stuff

R.I.P.:( :cry:

Originally posted by Weapon X
Hey Hawk how's it going? Haven't seen you since Annihilator's Forum.

Well anyway's, yes very sad, it's 39 ppl believed dead now and the lead guitarist is missing.

Saw film footage on the TV this morning pretty scary stuff

R.I.P.:( :cry:

Hey Weapon X What's up? Good to hear from you. I just wish the circumstances were better. :(

Look like the deathtoll will rise. It's very sad.

That is crazy. Last night I went out to buy one of their greatest hits albums cause I heard "House of Broken Love" on the radio one day and I wanted to get a CD with that song on it.
Very sad

Yep its 60+ death toll now...still pullin bodies and 160+ rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

The club is called "The Station" and its about 5 minutes from my house. Horrible shit...

According to both CNN and even the Blabbermouth news item, the band specifically asked permission of the club owner whether or not they could use their pyro, and were granted said permission.

The styrofoam that initially caught on fire was also the club's, not the band's. I obviously wasn't there in person, nor was I privy to their conversations, but my best guess is that the club owner is/was a jackass.

Hmmm... the CNN article I read said that the club owner categorically denies being informed of Great White's intended use of pyrotechnics, let alone giving permission, and that a club owner in New Jersey has come forward saying that Great White triggered fireworks at his club earlier in the tour, again without seeking permission.

Also, the club had recently been inspected for violation of fire safety regulations. Minor violations were found, and subsequently corrected. The building was therefore officially safe, assuming no-one did anything dumb like, say, set off fireworks in a room insulated with styrofoam.

It's looking like it was Great White's fault to me, but of course I could be wrong...

It's terrible.

A few thoughts, although at times like these I must admit it's facts that are most important and not opinions:

1) Both sides are now denying culpability. The band claims they asked permission, but the club denies this.

2) The Stone Pony statement earlier in the day would seem to be fairly damning character testimony against the band if allowed as evidence in a trial.

3) I can't believe clubs don't have sprinkler systems. I just can't believe it.

4) Some people are saying that the Great White guitarist jumped into the crowd to escape instead of heading to exit stage right with the rest of the group. :cry:

5) 96 missing now. The RI governor just added one more to the list.

6) I remember Blind Guardian initially insisting on using their pyrotechnics for their first US tour. Both shows I was at--Prog Power in Atlanta, and the Metro in Chicago--did not allow it. Those were both much, much bigger venues than The Station. No way that club could have had a permit for pyro. Way too small. Whoever isn't telling the truth is in for legal fireworks that will make Great White's "sparkler fountain" look pathetic.

7) I'm so sorry this happened. I used to perform quite a bit live. I never want to turn on my TV and see a report like this again. Never again.

--S

What a fucking nightmare! I've played out and of coarse been to a shit load of shows. Seeing the video of the inside of that venue as the fire starts sends chills up my spine. I can imagine all to vividly what utter hell that would be.
I heartily hope that whoever is responsible for this atrocity get persecuted to the full extent of the law..and then some!