9/11 aka Sept.11 ... five years later

But this is not the thread of the thing of your life (thats elsewhere, you also seem to suffer from "threadnesia" or "which fucking thread is this anyway?"), its about remembering what you did on 9/11 etc. He says "and i really don't remember any other 09.11, because it's just another day in the year", which is bullshit and hes lying only to show how unimportant the date is to him. And thats stupid.

Well I remember what I did on 9/11 2001, but the other 9/11 I really dont remember, or what do you mean?
I do remember what I did on 3/11 though, the day of the Madrid bombings.. I was in Sölden, Austria, skiing with my friends. But if it hadnt been for the skiing, I dont think Id remember either

Why is this board so much about fighting these days? I know UC and I have probably been among the worst, but even we are trying now..

I wonder whether all the USA-bashing, all the "ZOMG, ignorant money-minded warmongers!!", all the attempts to prove other countries are superior, all the identification of the economical power with evil incarnate, will ever reach critical mass and collapse, leaving a billion enlightened critical thinkers all dressed up with nowhere to go. People have this tendency to believe jumping on the opposite bandwagon of something is rebellious and emancipated and an exercise in freedom of thought, as long as clean-cut scenarios of friends and foes survive, but as soon as too many people join in on the lynch-mob you gotta diversify the targets to stay on top of the free-thinking elite.

Taliesin said:
Well I remember what I did on 9/11 2001, but the other 9/11 I really dont remember, or what do you mean?
I do remember what I did on 3/11 though, the day of the Madrid bombings.. I was in Sölden, Austria, skiing with my friends. But if it hadnt been for the skiing, I dont think Id remember either

Why is this board so much about fighting these days? I know UC and I have probably been among the worst, but even we are trying now..

Its not about fighting, its about making things clear. He was quite unclear about 9/11/2001 saying he had a flu, but he made his attitude towards 9/11 clear in the following sentence. If the only thing he remembers about 9/11/2001 is that he had a flu (and felt like shit absolutely not because of the WTC shit - shit shitty shitty, wow, how cool you must be for saying that?), and then says I dont remember any other 9/11, its pretty obvious what its supposed to mean.

There are minutes of silence for a lot less significant historical events, and saying this is strictly US business is weakminded imho. Karl Jaspers in his Question of Guilt mentions metaphysical guilt, together with 3 other types, which means you can feel guilty for what happened anywhere in the world or even in history (it was written in a very similar situation the US as a country finds itself now, when people just label Americans as lazy, fat idiots, and their government as responsible for everything, only it was post WWII Germany).

marduk1507 said:
Wow, what a nice load of cowshit.

:lol: Yes.

Also, what rahvin said (including reflections on uses of the flag on the gayness day, but let me add that it has to be a rainbow flag, otherwise the whole effect is spoiled).

Is 9.11 just another day? No, for me it isn't. Personal: on 9.11.2004, my friend Carlo died. Personal, too: on 9.11.2001, 2,900-odd people were killed by a bunch of fanatics who would strip me of the right to vote if they could. As for the idea that it is an American "holiday", I would excuse this wording only if Rayna were a member of one of the Catholic religious orders who actually have big celebration when one of their members dies, because they believe he or she is with God and therefore in perfect happiness. Since I don't think that this is the case, I will dignify the comment with the quote above.

marduk1507 said:
saying this is strictly US business is weakminded imho.
It's not my business, I don't want to make it my business and as hard as the USA is trying they won't make it my business; 11/9 is not only about the 2.9k dead people. They have their problems that they consciously created but they also have the power to solve them (and most definitely not with violence). I'd gladly exchange our gypsies for muslims.

Vizjaqtaar said:
It's not my business, I don't want to make it my business and as hard as the USA is trying they won't make it my business; 11/9 is not only about the 2.9k dead people. They have their problems that they consciously created but they also have the power to solve them (and most definitely not with violence). I'd gladly exchange our gypsies for muslims.

Aggreed except for the last bit... which i dont understand...

Vizjaqtaar said:

But this is not so much your business because of the US, but because of the terrorists, and maybe also because you are a human being, correct me if Im wrong there.

And gypsies for muslims? - now thats almost made me laugh. Muslims have always had a splendid life in the Balkan area, thats for sure. Srebrenica is probably not your business either, simply because you live in Slovenia, right? Well, I consider it my business, because I simply cannot believe such things could happen in the end of the 20th century, I feel guilty and ashamed of the "human" nature.

Lil' Bloodred Ridin' Hood said:
@fireangel:What restrictions are ye talking about? :zombie: o_O :ill:

what I described in the sentence before this one; that the laws allow more spying and observation on people; that in Germany, similar to the US, in the name of "the war against terror" civil rights are not as important anymore. Both, the socialdemocrats and the conservatives were eager to allow more phone tapping by the intelligence service for the slightest reasons, and now the most tiny suspicion against someone allows his/her observation.
Before that, it was a lot more difficult to do that, the courts of justice were involved as counter-checks and for good reasons, we don´t wanna have a "Big Brother"-country. Of course, police need to do their work, but decisions to control someone shouldn´t be based on just a foreign family name or such, there should be more evidence.

On the other hand, there often is enough evidence against certain radical muslim preachers and their communities, but interestingly enough, some dangerous people have not been sent back to their homecountry, lost their asylum status, or, if they have the German citizenship, were not sent to jail. Also there are some radical muslim schools for kids and adults (for example the King Fahd-Academy near Bonn) which, even though there was enough evidence that they don´t adhere to a German curriculum, have not been closed.
It´s as if people who are not guilty of anything are observed, and those against which are enough reasons to justify some action, are left in peace.

9/11 did breed some funny stories in the end, though. Does any german remember when Schily was carried away on the wave of actionism and wanted to hunt down sprayers with helicopters? :tickled:
The guy really meant that, too. And everyone envied the politician with no other problems than sprayers and money enough to send helicopters after them :lol:

fireangel said:
that the laws allow more spying and observation on people;

There's a huge wave of protest against that - like, tapping the phones of ones who are suspected participating in terrorism. But I'd rather have my phone tapped than have a plane fly into the building where I work. Plus - even sane people don't rely on phones/e-mails any longer when they have to discuss something really important. And fucking terrorist would be twice more cautious.

marduk1507 said:
I dont, really. I dont remember the date of the attack in Madrid either. However, what I do remember is the disgust and shock I felt.

Same here (London and Madrid).