A few thoughts on the evolution of metal.

That's different from trendsters and posers, though...I mean people who are into music not for the music but for the popularity. There are no brutal death trendsters, although there's plenty of unoriginal brutal death.

what about people who are into music not for the music but for the obscurity of it, thus making themselves look like underground kvlt heroes who know everything about abstract obscure music and listens to anything as long as its not popular.... does that count?

The indie scene has been looking at black metal for a while now.

Yeah, and they need to fucking stop immediately. These people are doing nothing good except making black metal more hipsterish. The next scarf-wearing artfag who comments on my Burzum shirt as if he/she/he-she actually understands black metal is getting a fucking crowbar to the head.

To be completely honest, I see metal moving in a more metalcore direction. There are so many of those bands, it's like they're breeding like rabbits, and it's about the newest thing out there atm. I, personally enjoy most metalcore I hear, but I'm pretty sure everyone on here hates it, so I guess my opinion is a grim one.

That's the only new path that metal is creating atm. There's nothing else out there that hasn't been done before. It's hard to do something new in metal today, because like Llama guy said, bands are already playing as fast and as hard as they can, Black Metal has hit it's peak and is already about as extreme as the genre can get. Where do you go from here? All progression has led up to this time where it takes something absolutely extraordinary to break the mold. The only thing that anyone has come across is the changing time signatures, extreme vocals and such that metalcore is doing.

Tbh, this is not only a problem with metal, but with everything in the world. Have you noticed the surplus of remade movies and movies done off a book or another form of someone else's ideas in the past few years? Creativity is coming to a stand still at this point in human history, and as depressing as it is, it's really hard to see things getting better, because what hasn't been done before? It takes such a dramatically radical idea to even be considered creative anymore, and there are very few of those types of people in the world.

That's the only new path that metal is creating atm. There's nothing else out there that hasn't been done before. It's hard to do something new in metal today, because like Llama guy said, bands are already playing as fast and as hard as they can, Black Metal has hit it's peak and is already about as extreme as the genre can get. Where do you go from here? All progression has led up to this time where it takes something absolutely extraordinary to break the mold. The only thing that anyone has come across is the changing time signatures, extreme vocals and such that metalcore is doing.

Tbh, this is not only a problem with metal, but with everything in the world. Have you noticed the surplus of remade movies and movies done off a book or another form of someone else's ideas in the past few years? Creativity is coming to a stand still at this point in human history, and as depressing as it is, it's really hard to see things getting better, because what hasn't been done before? It takes such a dramatically radical idea to even be considered creative anymore, and there are very few of those types of people in the world.
Your perspectives on metal (among other things) are just....wrong. The popular American metalcore is about 3-4 years removed from offering anything new. It's really tired, and about to go the way of nu-metal. Actually, the more I look over this post...it's not even worth my time to delineate all the ways in which you are incorrect.

you could argue that Drone is a new and evolving sub-genre, Sunn O))), Boris etc.. perhaps?

No you can't, because drone as a metal entity, not even counting its' musical status one in general, has been around before either of those bands.

So...all creative art forms, after thriving and evolving for several millenia, are just now deciding to wither away and die? Gee, I didn't think the economy was hurting us THAT much.

It was already mentioned pages ago that things like this are only conveniently labeled retroactively, and frankly I agree. Evolution is a continuum, and whenever we get a new golden age of some style to jizz all over, it will have come and gone before we get a chance to appreciate it. For me personally, it's not really worth it to try and get into any single contemporary movement as if it's destined to be the definitive future of metal. I'd just rather pick out the bands here and there that grab me, regardless of their labels or associations, and maybe a few years down the road, I'll be able to reexamine a particular scene or sound and discover that there were a number of bands and artists who, as a collective whole, really do seem greater than the sum of their parts.

More bands should sound like Soilwork, Raunchy etc. (bands combining pop/rock with metalcore/melo-death...I like that sound tbh)

Anyway, there are of course bands pushing aesthetics and styles within death and black metal. There are bands like Lykathea Aflame (R.I.P.) and Wormed which push extreme brutal deathgrind into even MORE extreme areas with abnormal subject matter and a fresh outlook on the music. In black metal the greatest offenders would be the French and US scenes, currently producing some really awesome acts who will definitely leave their mark on metal when it develops in the future. Deathspell Omega, Blut Aus Nord and other related acts are doing some pretty daring and new things which the purists might not like but what I see as generally at least respectable. I don't think metal is dead at all, in fact...I think it is really just beginning, to be honest. Just needs some more creativity and rebellious minds to craft some timeless music all over again.
Don't forget about The Amenta. They are definitely one to keep an eye on.

I've seen folk metal tossed around a few times. I definitely think that this is a new and (potentially) promising subgenre. It's rapidly getting bigger, and I think that it's already establishing itself along death, black, and doom as a mainstay.

I need to clear up some things. Just because I think there's such a thing as an extremity cap doesn't mean I think that metal can't progress. Metal's progressed wildly since I was initially introduced to it ten years ago, not to mention since the beginning of the '90s. Death and black metal sound nothing at all like they did back in '97-'98, when I initially got into extreme metal: compare Nile with Deicide's Serpents of the Light, Deathspell Omega with Marduk's Nightwing. So, metal's certainly evolving, and I think there's still plenty of room for it to evolve further. I just don't think it'll necessarily get that much more "extreme."

So...all creative art forms, after thriving and evolving for several millenia, are just now deciding to wither away and die? Gee, I didn't think the economy was hurting us THAT much.

I'm not saying that, I was saying that it just takes so much more to be creative now. I can point to almost any band and say a band that they sound like, or someone who's doing what they are now. There are some out there, I'm not saying that there aren't. It's just extremely difficult to find something that's completely original anymore.

I think you're taking originality too literally. A band can sound like some other bands and still retain some aspect or originality. To some it is a subtle yet intuitive aspect of a band which could range from their lyrical/aesthetic approach to their slightly different influences to their music being marginally original in really any sense.

You're probably right. I'm more looking towards the creation of a new metal sub-genre, rather than just evolution of one of the others.
Still as Llama guy indicated in his extreme question, it is going to be pretty difficult for a band to get more extreme than the ones out there now.

Yeah, and they need to fucking stop immediately. These people are doing nothing good except making black metal more hipsterish. The next scarf-wearing artfag who comments on my Burzum shirt as if he/she/he-she actually understands black metal is getting a fucking crowbar to the head.

So what if they do understand it? So know that not every indie fan is a hippster.