A few thoughts on the evolution of metal.

Guyz stop killing mai thread!

threadwouldntdie.jpg

It is impossible to say, and I have been very worng on these topics in the past, probably because I'm less aware of how popular bands I dislike are, but I'll make an attempt here.

1. The "orchestral" side of metal is evolving. I can't say where to, but it seems to be getting higher into the orchestral sophistication. The new kamelot album has a lot of that, as does epica's consign to oblivion. It possibly is peaking though, since the popularity of orchestral metal is bound to decline, and less money = less orchestralism.

2. Post metal is a genre to watch. It keeps evolving, because all the bands seem to be very in tune with each other, few innovations go unnoticed.

3. Math metal is the next direction in technicality. Math hardcore thankfully is nying out, but prog metal has been eying it, and I assume death metal bands will at least begin to leave 4/4 in search of unique riffs, although less will explore polymeters like meshuggah since it is so hard to do real well that only the best can do it. Of course, that won't keep idiot fans from calling anything complex a polymeter. If the african scene picks up, however, then you can bet there will be a lot of polymeter.

4. rapider riff shifts. On none so vile by cryptopsy, it is heavy as crap because they have one riff every 2-3 seconds on some parts, often repeating a collection of riffs instead of repeating a riff. Dillinger escape plan did a lot of this on calculating infinity. I think it is possible to take this farther, and move past riff-based metal into a more atmospheric metal where the progression of riffs is more important then the actual riffs. In be-bop jazz, there is a similar thing. The notes are really fast, and melody is less important then before.

5. electronics. Keyboards will never make it, but there is a whole world of effects out there, and I think that more and more strange effect pedals will be used. Eventually one will sound so cool that everyone starts using it, and the obsession with this effect will lead to music being created around it, and the next big genre will emerge.

(1-4 are predictions, 5 is just speculation into one possible future)

It is impossible to say, and I have been very worng on these topics in the past, probably because I'm less aware of how popular bands I dislike are, but I'll make an attempt here.

1. The "orchestral" side of metal is evolving. I can't say where to, but it seems to be getting higher into the orchestral sophistication. The new kamelot album has a lot of that, as does epica's consign to oblivion. It possibly is peaking though, since the popularity of orchestral metal is bound to decline, and less money = less orchestralism.

2. Post metal is a genre to watch. It keeps evolving, because all the bands seem to be very in tune with each other, few innovations go unnoticed.

3. Math metal is the next direction in technicality. Math hardcore thankfully is nying out, but prog metal has been eying it, and I assume death metal bands will at least begin to leave 4/4 in search of unique riffs, although less will explore polymeters like meshuggah since it is so hard to do real well that only the best can do it. Of course, that won't keep idiot fans from calling anything complex a polymeter. If the african scene picks up, however, then you can bet there will be a lot of polymeter.

4. rapider riff shifts. On none so vile by cryptopsy, it is heavy as crap because they have one riff every 2-3 seconds on some parts, often repeating a collection of riffs instead of repeating a riff. Dillinger escape plan did a lot of this on calculating infinity. I think it is possible to take this farther, and move past riff-based metal into a more atmospheric metal where the progression of riffs is more important then the actual riffs. In be-bop jazz, there is a similar thing. The notes are really fast, and melody is less important then before.

5. electronics. Keyboards will never make it, but there is a whole world of effects out there, and I think that more and more strange effect pedals will be used. Eventually one will sound so cool that everyone starts using it, and the obsession with this effect will lead to music being created around it, and the next big genre will emerge.

(1-4 are predictions, 5 is just speculation into one possible future)
You have made some good points. Unfortunately...
Shut the fuck up.
...this is how we deal with good points on UM.

LOL CALCULAS METAL.

The idea of math metal is as fucking stupid as "Forest metal", 'Nintendocore" or "Pirate Metal".

Stop making up genres. Your music already fits neatly into one or more of them.

Indeed. Although pirate metal is legitimate - there are a number of pirate bands. It's not yet a full subgenre, but if more bands start singing about pirates, it will be...

Indeed. Although pirate metal is legitimate - there are a number of pirate bands. It's not yet a full subgenre, but if more bands start singing about pirates, it will be...

Any band that is "Pirate" fits distinctly into another genre.\

EX. Running Wild is Heavy/Power metal. Alestorm is Symphonic Metal. Swashbuckle is Death Metal.

They don't have zombie metals for bands that sing about zombies do they? Shut up.

We've run throught his before:

1. Viking metal is a major debated issue.
2. Something becomes viking metal based on pagan SOUNDING songs. Amon Amarth is not viking metal you fuckwads.
3. Viking metal isn't real.

Math metal is a legitimate subgenre. First off, there is a LOT of math metal out there, although to be fair, a lot is math-core, which basically means suck dillinger escape plan's (and meshuggah's) dick. However, even this math core is based around the concept of playing in multiple time meters. Now, yeah, it is hard to understand why changing one thing creates a whole new genre, unless you actually understand what changing this one thing does. When you play in multiple time signatures, the time signatures don't stay lined up. If you play in 3/4 and 4/4, for example. the person playing 3/4 hits the downbeat exactly 1 beat before the 4/4 guy, and then he hits it again exactly 2 beats before, and then 3 beats before, and then he hits the downbeat. So, it creates a 4 measure cycle.

That is a basic polymeter, already hard as crap to play anything reasonably complex in. However, this polymeter is not just technical, it sounds wierd because the meters are sliding against each other, and it is kind of trancy.

Of course, I would say this is the defining characteristic of math metal: the inclusion of and focus on a polymeter, however, lots of bands go "HURR, I PLAY IN 7/8. I R TEH MATH METAL!"

The fact that math metal has a whole subculture to me is the proof that it is a legitimate genre.