A question about NSBM

i didn't mean to suggest cythraul disagreed with dodens, i just kind of moved onto dodens' post afterwards, that wasn't obvious sorry. btw i edited in an extra paragraph to that post.

I think you can approach things in both ways and have different views for both. It depends on if you are wanting to enjoy the music as sound or the music as art, or a combination of both perhaps. I could easily see a very well done Christian album being a top album of mine, despite me being an atheist (and a staunch one at that). Lykathea Aflame's sole album seems quite Christian in some senses, but I still think it's among the best metal albums of the 21st century thus far. If something was very, very obviously Christian in the most placating way possible to someone who is also Christian, I could find it musically very nice, but probably not artistically, ON THE WHOLE, very worthy of high praise because I can't see myself in such a hypocritical position. Luckily it hasn't happened yet.

Okay, I just actually re-read my post, and I don't entirely agree with myself. I was not very clear or chose poor wording to express what I meant. I will use the excuse that I was heading out the door to class when I typed that, more or less.

Although I have been known to listen to music often simply for the sake of 'the riff', so to speak (or in other words I frequently engage in music primarily for the aural component), when I am judging a work of art, I feel obliged to appreciate it as such, and thus then the ideological component behind the music is a necessity to analyze. In doing so, I do my best to remove myself from the equation to a certain degree initially. The first thing that I look at in the music is what the artist is trying to say, followed by how he's saying it. I generally try to appreciate the aesthetic that the artist means to convey and how it relates to the composition overall, and this has a great impact on how I view and appreciate music. Arghoslent would be a good example of a band whose aesthetic tools outweigh my cognitive distance from their ideology. While I disagree with what they say, I respect and enjoy the way in which they say it, and find that it is complimented by the work as a whole.

On the subject of Christianity, I honestly do not know if a Christian band or artist could ever become one of my favorite albums. I've never felt that I was in such a situation. I certainly do enjoy many Christian bands, some less so than others due explicitly to the fact that the way that they convey their message I find to be poorly done. A good example of contrast in conveying message would be to compare the band Cross with Scarlet Rayne. Both bands are more or less equally adament in their views, yet I appreciate the aesthetic tools that Cross employs in doing so, and I am able to appreciate it as such. Scarlet Rayne, on the other hand, is another matter. The way in which they convey their message is done in poor taste, and hinders my enjoyment of their craft. They quite clearly put ideology above the music, that ideology being evangelism and conversion.

What's the use, though, of lying? The truth of the matter is that I don't read lyrics all that often. For a lot of the music that I listen to, in fact, the lyrics are inaccessible to me, whether because it is in a language I do not understand or for some other reason. I do my best to pick up cues within the music to determine the artistic intent. And as others have mentioned, ideology and music are not completely independent from one another. There are cues that can be picked up from the music itself. For albums that I find a particular affinity for or suggest to me that they may actually have something interesting lyrically to express, then I will read the lyrics, but for the average thrash or death metal band, about which the ideological component tends to vary little or can be easily enough determined through musical or other non-lyrical cues, I rarely find the need to actually look up the lyrics.

Once again, I feel that this post is a bit mushmouthed and not very well thought through. If anyone has any questions, I'll try this again, because I don't feel like I'm getting out what I mean to say.

but still, what constitutes 'well done'? i think if i tried answering that question i'd ultimately just end up stating the common qualities of the musical experiences i most enjoy.

(in response to vvvvv, im reading dodens' post now)

Well obviously what is well done is determined by the individual. If I implied that I meant otherwise, that wasn't my intention.

but still, what constitutes 'well done'? i think if i tried answering that question i'd ultimately just end up stating the common qualities of the musical experiences i most enjoy.

(in response to vvvvv, im reading dodens' post now)

For me, in this case, well done is a way you order steak to be cooked...

wait...wait...

No...well done IN THIS CASE to me would be MUSICALLY good in my opinion.

sorry dodens gray that was in response to vvvvv, stop responding so fast ;) this is gonna be 'mushmouthed' and probably irrelevant as well btw, its like 6am here.

i know what you mean, i guess my question is that if determining what's "well done" is down to the individual then how does it differ from pure personal preference? if evaluating music 'as art' involves the use of some more objective method of judgment, more than merely 'what we enjoy', where do we acquire that method from? i think this is one of the central questions of aesthetics and i'm probably not capable of debating it competently but nevermind. same question for vvvvv.

as for arghoslent, how about this. imagine if it turned out that arghoslent intended their work to express the need for women's rights (i know this is a stupid, exaggerated example but you'll get the picture). this would surely count as a monumental failure of expression on their part for nobody has gleaned anything even remotely like that from their music, but speaking for myself at least the album would be made no less appealing by the accidental nature of its mood. the work is "bad" at expressing what was intended to be expressed, yet it is "good" at expressing stuff which appeals to me and apparently plenty of other people, does this make it a bad piece of art or what?

for the record i'm personally not that fussed about intent, i agree that music is the product of an artist's mindset but i think so much of what filters through must be unconscious. i've never been fond of the idea that the artist has complete authority over the meaning of his work - a piece of art always extends far past what the artist could possibly have meant, both forwards and backwards. i mean most (in fact, all) metal musicians probably aren't fully aware of what drives them to make the music they do, or what the full implications of their music might be, or exactly what cultural associations their music contains in reference to the history of music, or etcetc. i'm not sure i'm even disagreeing with anyone here.

actually going back to arghoslent, i don't think they're necessarily expressing an undesirable ideology brilliantly, but maybe that the conceptual thrust of the music is something different (at least slightly) to that which they espouse in interviews. music is just another language after all, and musicians are often way more capable of expressing their true mindsets than they are using words (this explains why metal lyrics tend to be pretty awkward too). i sometimes get the impression their stated political views are kind of surpressed in their music by some altogether more potent force, maybe something they're not even aware is there. i definitely get that impression with certain other bands even moreso. anyway shut the fuck up it's bedtime.

The thing about NS-driven music, or something like Arghoslent is that the ideologies could be used as a pure storytelling or evocative tool, but they generally aren't. There's a demand for music that's fucked up/scary/creepy/disturbing. Always has been. A band could deliver NS themes simply as a way to create an atmosphere that would be upsetting to the general listener, but this does not seem to happen much. Frankly, using NS for delivering music must sort of come across today or in the past decade as using Satanism must have circa 1980. It is/was a taboo of the highest order. Satanism is just too passe in 2008 to really stir anyone's emotions. NS and overly racist themes (anything decidedly non-PC) has a far greater potential to do so, maybe only from a mystical standpoint. There doesn't have to be any real substance in order to strike the right chords with a listener. I mean, what was ever there behind Venom, yet it had a profound impact, even just in terms of ideology.

[/drunk]

sorry dodens gray that was in response to vvvvv, stop responding so fast ;) this is gonna be 'mushmouthed' and probably irrelevant as well btw, its like 6am here.

No worries, for some reason I can't quite manage to gather my thoughts on this subject properly at the moment anyway.

i know what you mean, i guess my question is that if determining what's "well done" is down to the individual then how does it differ from pure personal preference? if evaluating music 'as art' involves the use of some more objective method of judgment, more than merely 'what we enjoy', where do we acquire that method from? i think this is one of the central questions of aesthetics and i'm probably not capable of debating it competently but nevermind. same question for vvvvv.

I don't think that art can really be evaluated by merely 'what we enjoy', I think there is a bit more to it than that. There are countless examples of artwork that I don't particularly enjoy, yet nonetheless respect as a great piece of art (though one could argue that I 'enjoy' the work as a piece of art, I'm speaking of enjoyment in terms of a more base pleasure, more akin to entertainment). Of course everybody can have different ideas as to what makes a work of art a 'good' work of art, but there are measures by which qualities in a work of art can be judged at a somewhat less biased level.

I would rather not use the term objective, and should have intentionally left it out from the beginning, because I don't think that a work of art can be 'objectively' good. My usage of the word was meant only in so far as it referred to an attempt to analyze from as unbiased a point of view as possible. The way that I look at a work of art is like somewhat of a time capsule of an idea or representation. It's an expression of something from the mind of the artist, and this applies to music just as much as it does to literature and film. I do not dislike a novel solely because the ideological views expressed therein by the author are ones that I disagree with, and I do not dislike a piece of music solely because the ideological views expressed therein by the author are ones that I disagree with. It see it as an open window, an access point through which I can experience a part of somebody else, for the better or for the worse. That is not to say that ideological facets of a work of art have no bearing on my enjoyment of said work, but it is minimized to a considerable degree, I would imagine, compared to most people. And this is not because, as seems to be the case with most people, I don't care about what the artist is saying; it is, rather, because I do care about what he's saying, and I want to understand his position and the way that it shapes the work of art. Obviously I'm not going to like something just because there is a holistic completeness between ideology and sound, but it is something that I look for, both in what I like to listen to and in what I view as an accomplishment as a work of art.

as for arghoslent, how about this. imagine if it turned out that arghoslent intended their work to express the need for women's rights (i know this is a stupid, exaggerated example but you'll get the picture). this would surely count as a monumental failure of expression on their part for nobody has gleaned anything even remotely like that from their music, but speaking for myself at least the album would be made no less appealing by the accidental nature of its mood. the work is "bad" at expressing what was intended to be expressed, yet it is "good" at expressing stuff which appeals to me and apparently plenty of other people, does this make it a bad piece of art or what?

Well I would first say that this does indeed affect the appeal of the work for me. An artist's success in expressing what he means to express is something that I value. If such a grievous failure as the one that you outlined were to occur, I am fairly certain that I would think less of the work of art, both as a work of art and as something that I would like to listen to.

Secondly, I would say that what you're looking at is not the same work of art that the artist created. Or at least what he meant to created. I don't remember who said it, but I have always like the quote that goes something to the effect that "when an artist writes, he writes more than, less than, or other than what he meant to say". I do believe that to be true. But my recent readings have led me to the idea that there is only one genuine interpretation of a work of art, and that is the interpretation put forth by the artist. Alternative interpretations, depending upon the degree to which they vary from the original interpretation, are essentially interpretations of a different work of art altogether. In your example, I would say that what Arghoslent created was a horrible piece of art, but that your reinterpretation of it (for you) is a good one.

for the record i'm personally not that fussed about intent, i agree that music is the product of an artist's mindset but i think so much of what filters through must be unconscious. i've never been fond of the idea that the artist has complete authority over the meaning of his work - a piece of art always extends far past what the artist could possibly have meant, both forwards and backwards. i mean most (in fact, all) metal musicians probably aren't fully aware of what drives them to make the music they do, or what the full implications of their music might be, or exactly what cultural associations their music contains in reference to the history of music, or etcetc. i'm not sure i'm even disagreeing with anyone here.

I suppose I mostly addressed this above, though I should add that I agree that an artist rarely, if ever, is fully aware of the complete interpretation of his own work of art when he has created it. Depending on the nature of the artwork, however, he should be able to determine whether or not a given interpretation can be aptly and legitimately applied to his work. Further elaboration can only go so far until it transforms the subject in question into something that it is not.

actually going back to arghoslent, i don't think they're necessarily expressing an undesirable ideology brilliantly, but maybe that the conceptual thrust of the music is something different (at least slightly) to that which they espouse in interviews. music is just another language after all, and musicians are often way more capable of expressing their true mindsets than they are using words (this explains why metal lyrics tend to be pretty awkward too). i sometimes get the impression their stated political views are kind of surpressed in their music by some altogether more potent force, maybe something they're not even aware is there. i definitely get that impression with certain other bands even moreso. anyway shut the fuck up it's bedtime.

I think this more or less sounds about right and is something that I can agree with.

i think because i'm really not that enamoured with any ideologies nor am i really disgusted by any (i'm about as a-political as it's possible to get), then as far as ideologies are concerned i'm automatically 'unbiased' - these things just don't ever colour my impression of an album to a severe extent. i prob should've said that before. furthermore i'm just not that interested in having music bridge the gap between myself and primarily ideological mindsets, because i rarely get anything out of those mindsets unless they also house some more primal mood or emotion or desire. if someone expresses an ideology really effectively through music then there's a good chance it still won't appeal to me at all - it won't disgust me, i'll just be indifferent.

Secondly, I would say that what you're looking at is not the same work of art that the artist created. Or at least what he meant to created. I don't remember who said it, but I have always like the quote that goes something to the effect that "when an artist writes, he writes more than, less than, or other than what he meant to say". I do believe that to be true. But my recent readings have led me to the idea that there is only one genuine interpretation of a work of art, and that is the interpretation put forth by the artist. Alternative interpretations, depending upon the degree to which they vary from the original interpretation, are essentially interpretations of a different work of art altogether. In your example, I would say that what Arghoslent created was a horrible piece of art, but that your reinterpretation of it (for you) is a good one.

i suppose in that case either i don't really believe there are *any* genuine interpretations, or maybe more likely i'm just not that interested in getting at that genuine interpretation. like i've said i'm more interested in firstly seeing how an album affects me at gut level, then trying to rationalise that by understanding exactly what i'm getting from that album and why it has that effect. often it will be the case that i'm getting exactly what the artist intended, or near enough, but that's almost incidental for me. it will shape how much i respect the creator as an artist, but not how much i enjoy the work of art - it doesn't matter to me if the work of art i'm enjoying is not the one the artist wrote/meant to write. this seems to be where we differ.

Explain further about enjoying works of art by misrepresenting or misunderstanding (no fault of yours sometimes I think) what the artist means to create? I'm actually interested in this idea.

I feel that the term NSBM is used far too liberally and applied to many bands for whom such a label would be inappropriate.

Listen to what you want, not to what others tell you is acceptable. If you don't agree with the politics and don't want to hear those messages in your music, don't listen to it. But even NSBM has a more positive side to it than any black metal should...unity + destruction & genocide, as opposed to simply destruction & genocide.:p

People, particularly those who listen to black metal and are vehemently opposed to NSBM, seem to forget the nature of the lyrical content of the music they listen to. I listen to a number of so-called NSBM bands and I really couldn't care less what someone who has a problem with that thinks.

As for messages in music...some bands play to spread a message and some bands invent a message so that they can play...even in NSBM, from my experience.

i suppose in that case either i don't really believe there are *any* genuine interpretations, or maybe more likely i'm just not that interested in getting at that genuine interpretation. like i've said i'm more interested in firstly seeing how an album affects me at gut level, then trying to rationalise that by understanding exactly what i'm getting from that album and why it has that effect. often it will be the case that i'm getting exactly what the artist intended, or near enough, but that's almost incidental for me. it will shape how much i respect the creator as an artist, but not how much i enjoy the work of art - it doesn't matter to me if the work of art i'm enjoying is not the one the artist wrote/meant to write. this seems to be where we differ.
I think I agree with this. I often feel there are two parts of me that enjoy music, one is the "gut" as you mentioned and one is the "head". The gut is an initial emotional reaction whereas, the head is more like what Dodens said in trying to look at what an artist is attempting to express and how well they do it. The gut is just whether the artist's expression contains elements I enjoy (this can include non-musical elements). I find that my favorite artists are enjoyed by both, but if I don't get that gut reaction I don't listen to it.

As for NSBM, I think it's a stupid ideology, and that negatively affects my reaction, but I can't write it off entirely either.