AA - in a league of their own? Or not?

I'm not sure if it's alright to be posting here, considering how long this thread's been inactive. But for me, I'd have to say they are definitely in a league of their own. I've tried listening to other bands that are in the same genre, and although they're really catchy, nothing is Amon Amarth worthy. Just my opinion. :)

Vital Remains, Bloodbath, Unleashed, etc are good recs...

Never really heard anything that sounds like AA. That brutal melodic death sound...pretty unique.
Dark Tranquility is really good, not much like AA. The Gallery is the best.

I'm not sure if it's alright to be posting here, considering how long this thread's been inactive. But for me, I'd have to say they are definitely in a league of their own. I've tried listening to other bands that are in the same genre, and although they're really catchy, nothing is Amon Amarth worthy. Just my opinion. :)

For me anyway, its not about trying to find bands that sound the same and do just as well, you don't want a clone band.. the thing is finding the best of the genre and enjoying that.. so for AA's genre, yes I'd say they're the top of the game (because that's why I like them - as elitist as it sounds, and it's just how I feel)

I personally think A.A. is in a league of their own but I would highly recommend Destruction, Vader and Absence. If you happen to be like me and enjoy the story aspect of A.A. then I would also recommend King Diamond. He basically tells an horror story with an entire album. Start out with "Them" and see if like it. FYI, Welcome Home (the first song but second track on Them) is the song that Jay and Silient Bob are always listening to in the Clerk movies.

For me anyway, its not about trying to find bands that sound the same and do just as well, you don't want a clone band.. the thing is finding the best of the genre and enjoying that.. so for AA's genre, yes I'd say they're the top of the game (because that's why I like them - as elitist as it sounds, and it's just how I feel)

Good point, I wouldn't want a clone band. It'd of been safer to say I can't seem to find any other Viking-Metal bands that I actually enjoy the sound of compared to Amon Amarth. I've listened to a few but none of them really caught my attention. The only other Viking-Metal band I can think of that I enjoyed listening to, would have to be Unleashed. If you happen to know any others that are good, let me know and I'll definitely check them out.:)

vital remains :headbang:

vital remains happens to be my second fav. band, but that doesnt necessarily mean i would recommend them to amon amarth fans. VR's sound is much more brutal and abrasive.

as far as AA being in a league of their own, without question they are. and im not just sayin that. cuz ive asked the same thing before: what bands would i enjoy because of the fact i like AA, and by far the most common answers r In flames and COB. now ill ignore the fact that i completely despise both of them, and say even if i did like them, they arent remotely like AA. inflames borders on hardcore-ish and even emo style clean vocals, and COB is just a keyboard-obsessed power metal band as far as im concerned. the closest band to AA would have to be DT but i still think thats quite a stretch. some melodies r similar to AA, but they still heavily rely on keyboards, whereas AA doesn't. Yes AA is in a league of their own, not just for the songwriting ability, but also for the band's sound itself.

and i should add that all these folk-metal bands, which may have similar lyrics, does not mean the music is similar. thats fine if u enjoy stuff like ensiferum and falkenbach, but there is a fine line between melodic DM and folk/viking metal

wintersun supporting amon amarth,now that was amazing.

That really happened?? Holy fuck i don't think it can get much better than that!!

I second Edge of Sanity's Crimson - Dan Swanö is masterful.

I couldnt say these bands are anything like AA, but have you checked out Mikael from Opeth (you can never go wrong with the mighty Mikael, and he is also featured on Crimson with Dan) as well as some Finnish stuff like my current favourite Moonsorrow (though thats more folk/BM), or along the doom/death veins such as Swallow the Sun? Mikko from STS is an EXCELLENT death vocalist, even if I do say so myself!

Yeah, i dig Moonsorrow! I really like that one song that starts out w/ the galloping guitars and the rythmic sword-clashing.

vital remains happens to be my second fav. band, but that doesnt necessarily mean i would recommend them to amon amarth fans. VR's sound is much more brutal and abrasive.

as far as AA being in a league of their own, without question they are. and im not just sayin that. cuz ive asked the same thing before: what bands would i enjoy because of the fact i like AA, and by far the most common answers r In flames and COB. now ill ignore the fact that i completely despise both of them, and say even if i did like them, they arent remotely like AA. inflames borders on hardcore-ish and even emo style clean vocals, and COB is just a keyboard-obsessed power metal band as far as im concerned. the closest band to AA would have to be DT but i still think thats quite a stretch. some melodies r similar to AA, but they still heavily rely on keyboards, whereas AA doesn't. Yes AA is in a league of their own, not just for the songwriting ability, but also for the band's sound itself.

and i should add that all these folk-metal bands, which may have similar lyrics, does not mean the music is similar. thats fine if u enjoy stuff like ensiferum and falkenbach, but there is a fine line between melodic DM and folk/viking metal

I've also come to the conclusion AA are matchless. I can see why some people compare them to Unleashed, but I think AA are still far superior in terms of music and lyrics. From what Unleashed i've heard, i got the impression they didn't put too much time into crafting their lyrics.

Good lyrics are important to me. Shitty lyrics can really detract from otherwise great music.

I'm so glad i started this thread though cuz otherwise i might never have heard Wintersun or Ensiferum. Those bands are fucking INSANE. Can't get enough of 'em.

Falkenbach are 'viking metal' from Germany - they don't sound like AA tho, they're more folky.. i love the song called Vanadis tho from the album Ok Nefna Tysvar Ty

I did run into Falkenbach during my musical quest, and they do have some cool shit. They have some great lyrical themes, like in that song Heathenpride, and flashes of amazing sounds, but lacked consistency. I don't have that song Vanadis yet but i'll hafta check it.

Thanx again for all your input!

Well, after spending an insane amount of reading reviews on Encyclopedia Metallicum and checking out songs on MySpace, I've come to the conclusion that AA are indeed in a league of there own.

Most of the other "viking metal" bands i listened to had a bit too much synth for my taste (with the exception of Ensiferum and Wintersun -- that shit is killer!).

AA seems to be the only band with the uncanny knack for acheiving a symphonic type sound on guitars alone -- without any synth. That's what sets them apart IMO..

Anyways, thanks for all your suggestions!
I think that the main problem is that if you want to hear some bands like AA, you should look for melodic death metal, I don't know why people says they're a viking metal (a genre who's roots are located in black and folk) band when they're not :|
I believe that if you like AA, you will like this bands too:
Arch Enemy (mostly after Angela Gossow Joined)
Nekrogoblikon
Paths Of Posession (I don't know if I spelled posession correctly, if I'm wrong please correct me :rofl:)

By the way, maybe before buying an album, you should download it, and hear it a few times, so if you didn't like it you didn't waste any money :D
Just remember that if you liked it, you should try to get it to support the band, they don't have money-trees, so buying their albums it's a way to help finnancing their next album (wich we always hope it wont be like st. anger) :)

Try Skyforger, a death/thrash folk metal band from Latvia. Their theme nowadays revolves around Slavic mythology :)
Therion's really old stuff is more or less melodic death. The Ho Drakon Ho Magus: Symphony Masses album is good. I have no idea what their newer stuff sounds like but I heard its horrible.
There is also Melechesh (SP?). They are similar to Nile in theme.
There are also folk and pagan themed bands out there such as:
Menhir
Heidevolk
Korpiklaani
Asmigen
Lumsk
Tyr
Heol Telwen
Belenos
Bran Barr
Eluvietie
...and I see Falkanbach and Moonsorrow have already been mentioned

Hiroshima Will Burn are a Death Metal band from Melbourne. They are unsigned at the moment and play some small gigs to get more fans and therefore more tours. Some of their music is wicked! You guys should check out their myspace although last time I checked they only had one song up... Which sucks!

Becuase it's not one of their best! But still good! :headbang:

PS: Fucking oath Amon Amarth are in a league of their own! They are fucking brutal shit!

Probably my favourite Death Metal band and overall my second favourite band! :headbang:

I'll forgive what you said about In Flames because it's obvious you've only heard their new stuff. Check out anything pre-Clayman - especially Lunar Strain, Subterranean, and The Jester Race. Radically different. Vocals are similar to Dark Tranquility, but significantly better up till Colony

As far as Vital Remains goes, I think most people here might dig Dechristianize. The drum sound is such that the blast beats don't really intrude to much, and it's really not all that abrasive. Some parts are fuckin' groovy. Also, that melody on Dechristianize is by far the best melody I've ever heard. I'm willing to bet they stole it from some classical piece (safe bet considering that the first song is literally just a classical song (O Fortuna) (perens inside perens? Woa!) with overdubs).

Greetings!

I've listened to hardcore, punk and metal since grade school, but i never got too excited about death-metal until i heard Amon Amarth. Right after discovering the mighty Swedes i went out and bought all their albums within a week. And i experienced the sonic bloodbath firsthand a few weeks ago. Fucking AMAZING. Their sounds take me to another world.

Is their any other vocalist that can growl with the same ferocity and burning passion as Johan, like he does on the song "Amon Amarth" from "Once Sent from Golden Hall"?

Anyway, I've been looking around for other melodic death metal bands that could fit the description of "Dude, if you love AA then you'll love these guys too!"

Any suggestions?

Have a thrashing New Year!!:headbang:

Dude Amon Amarth is all you ever need to listen too, all the time, all day. Since this is true, i'll name some songs that you can listen to throughout the day. Got a head ache? Listen to where silent gods stand guard. Wanna kill someone? Listen to Valhalla Awaits me.

Well I guess thats just true for me, but I shouldn't go on or you might not think I am kidding. The only band that I have ever heard in comparison (out of the box, not similar vocals) is Immortal, but they are black metal (I believe).

Well, that dependes on the tastes of everyone, I prefer black metal much more than death, for me Immortal is better than Amon Amarth (don't get me wrong, I would never say AA is bad, actually is one of the few death metal bands I like).