AA - in a league of their own? Or not?

I wasn't saying they were bad because they were black metal, or that they were bad at all.
I don't think you can make a valid comparison between them and AA...

I'll forgive what you said about In Flames because it's obvious you've only heard their new stuff. Check out anything pre-Clayman - especially Lunar Strain, Subterranean, and The Jester Race. Radically different. Vocals are similar to Dark Tranquility, but significantly better up till Colony

I hear you there, WeAreInFlames, early In Flames are the real deal.

Lately I haven't been able to get enough of Subterranean. I've never heard a sweeter song about lighting one's self on fire than "Stand Ablaze."

"Screaming ... as the flames caress my face"

Fuckin' A.

Well, that dependes on the tastes of everyone, I prefer black metal much more than death, for me Immortal is better than Amon Amarth (don't get me wrong, I would never say AA is bad, actually is one of the few death metal bands I like).

What black metal bands do you recommend (besides Immortal)?

I like blackened folk metal, such as Waylander and Pagan Reign, but i'm not too familar with the straight up black metal genre..

Lately I haven't been able to get enough of Subterranean. I've never heard a sweeter song about lighting one's self on fire than "Stand Ablaze." Fuckin' A.
That whole EP is godlike.

as far as black metal goes, I recommend Gorgoroth, Darkthrone, Emperor (above all else), and Dark Funeral

I wasn't saying they were bad because they were black metal, or that they were bad at all.
I don't think you can make a valid comparison between them and AA...
It's ok,I didn't interpret it that way, I know what you were trying to say, but I just was trying to say that it's impossible to be objective in saying wich one is best because it will be always something held to your musical preferences.
And yeah, I agree, we shouldn't even be discussing this, black and death metal are very different to be comparing two bands of those genres :)

What black metal bands do you recommend (besides Immortal)?

I like blackened folk metal, such as Waylander and Pagan Reign, but i'm not too familar with the straight up black metal genre..
So you like viking (black+folk) metal? Welcome to the club :D
You should start with these bands:

Turisas: I recommend you to start with the album Battle Metal, and take some time before going for The Varangian Way, you have to get used to their style first :).

Windir, this is a bit more blacker, but damn it, I LOVE this band, why did Valfar have to die? :( You should start with the album Arntor, Ein Windir.

Ensiferum is also a must, pick up Iron to start with them.

Nazgul is quite a strange band, it isn't what you call folk in the common way, it's more like blackened Vivaldi o_O. They only have one album, De Expugnatione Elfmuth, and if you like classical music, this is a masterpiece you can't miss.

Blood Fire Death from Bathory. Not liking this cd should be punished with a slow and horrible death if we lived in a perfect world.

Falkenbach. It's much more folkier and tranquil than blacker, but it's awesome, specially the cd Magni Blandinn Ok Megintiri.

Well, I think that's enough for a while, if you have another question just ask ;)

I'm seconding the Bathory and Einsiferum. Hammerheart from Bathory is also a good place to start.
All I've heard from Turisas was Battle Metal, which really didn't impress me. Stylistically, it's harsh vocals, lead instrument is the keyboard with drums, guitar, and bass backing it, some epic riffs, some meh. Not explicitly viking, actually. Best band photos of all time

Hammerheart and Twilight of the gods are two awesome albums from Bathory, but I didn't put them because they don't have the black metal part :p

Twilight heads this little list I made. It's called 10 Really good reasons not to put 4 minutes of ambient/natural sounds in the middle of an album.

Hammerheart has some black metal elements. I dunno what else you'd call it. Compare it to Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse (a fantastic album you should all kick yourselves for not owning before now) and tell me you can't see the similarities.
It's not tr00 kvlt underground NSBM or anything, though.

They have a black part, but it's almost nothing compared with Blood Fire Death i.e.
I wont compare it with Emperor because I don't like them very much :p

They are nothing like AA only thing they are similar is that they are Swedish

Black Metal Bands to check out

Astriaal (Australia band one of the best I have ever heard)
Naglfar (Early Shit)
Dark Funeral
Serberus
Dissection
Dawn

Some other early shit you SHOULD listen to
Soul Demise
Withered Beauty
Eucharist
Cardinal Sin
A Canourous Quintet

I'll forgive what you said about In Flames because it's obvious you've only heard their new stuff. Check out anything pre-Clayman - especially Lunar Strain, Subterranean, and The Jester Race. Radically different. Vocals are similar to Dark Tranquility, but significantly better up till Colony

As far as Vital Remains goes, I think most people here might dig Dechristianize. The drum sound is such that the blast beats don't really intrude to much, and it's really not all that abrasive. Some parts are fuckin' groovy. Also, that melody on Dechristianize is by far the best melody I've ever heard. I'm willing to bet they stole it from some classical piece (safe bet considering that the first song is literally just a classical song (O Fortuna) (perens inside perens? Woa!) with overdubs).

Believe me, i didnt just make an ignorant statement after just hearing In Flames latest work. i know they sold out. i have heard a bit of their older stuff including jester race, cuz ive heard thats them at their best. ill go ahead and give it a few more spins, maybe itll grow on me.

As far as that Dech. melody being the best lead EVER, u r not fucking kidding my friend. It's brilliance like that that makes it the only album keeping WOOOS from bring my fav. album of all time. no sir, its not ripped off, dave suzuki is just a genius. i dont get y u would think that. yes they used a classical piece as an intro, but the band admitted that. they wouldnt be able to write a whole album of brilliant melodies that were stolen without somebody noticing it. and i know its not that abrasive, not to u and me at least, i was just speaking from the average AA fan's perspective, cuz ive noticed that most of them r inclined to listen to folk/viking/black much more than brutal death. but yes, i would recommend it to anyone who likes blast beats. but my main point again is, those melodies were completely original. Dave suzuki specializes in classical music and is far too talented to steal leads:headbang: