Albums currently displeasing your ass

The Ultra-Violence is a bag of shit, agreed (except Veils of Deceptio which is somehow awesome). If it wasn't for their location and 10 year old drummer, no one would care about that album. Really amateur fourth-rate speed/thrash on par with (or worse than) many unsigned demo bands of the era.

I hope at the very least you mean their first two eponymous songs and not the whole Feel the Fire and Taking Over albums, btw, because Feel the Fire is a near-perfect marriage of speed/thrash and traditional metal, surpassing even the first Metal Church album by just a hair. Basically flawless.

haha! yeah i remember ... the four fourteen year old cousions or some shit like that.

Sounds like i need to get my hands on those Overkill albums again, i sold em off to a record store back when i was a youngster. Been years since i've listened to those two albums.

edit: Im about two tracks in the new Death Angel and it's not so bad, seems to be in the 3/5 range ... enjoying it more than The Ultra-Violence, which i'd give about a generous 2/5.

373024.jpg

Just another by the numbers female fronted 'retro' doom band. Boring overall with nothing that really makes them stand out.

Damn, the last two albums on here are ones that I quite enjoy.

I guess it all comes down to personal taste, I consider The Ultra-Violence a nearly flawless thrash metal album from the 80s. I have seen D A live a few times and they put on a good live show. I don't care for their latest album. Thee Art of Dying is underrated, it has some good thrashers that are fun live like Thrown to the Wolves and 5 Steps to Freedom.

Demon Lung is from Las Vegas and I have seen them play at the local underground shows for the last couple years. Maybe I overestimate their ability, but I think they have released a solid debut album.

5 Steps to Freedom is a fucking great song. And I don't think The Ultra-Violence is a bad album either...

As you say though, it's all just taste. Some people don't like Slayer.

The new Red Fang album is pretty fucking horrible. They've gone the direction of Mastodon clone on this one, which sucks because Mastodon are terrible.

Impact is Imminent has a couple stupid songs but on a whole it's basically on par with the previous Zetro albums. Within the Walls of Chaos and Changing of the Guard are particularly great.

carbo.jpg

Raping Voivod with funk sections and other non-metal diversions and the occasional Swedeath riff does not constitute "progressive death metal", and certainly not a cult following. Has its moments but on a whole this is stupid music.

The new Red Fang album is pretty fucking horrible. They've gone the direction of Mastodon clone on this one, which sucks because Mastodon are terrible.

I agree, the only halfway decent song is the single, and even that feels forced to be catchy. Murder the Mountains is top notch, I don't see how they could go from that to... this.

carbo.jpg

Raping Voivod with funk sections and other non-metal diversions and the occasional Swedeath riff does not constitute "progressive death metal", and certainly not a cult following. Has its moments but on a whole this is stupid music.

The first album is way better.

I've only listened to the first one once and that was several years ago. I think I should give the last one another shot since IIRC it got rid of most of the blasting, which didn't really work with more proggy stuff.

I like that album :(

I actually like a few songs quite a bit, but there's too many bad/poorly-thought-out ideas on a whole.

tumblr_mq7gehLnEN1rrfoglo1_1374273738_cover.jpg

Didn't like the first album either. the vocals sound rather contrived and out of tune with the rest of the music (as if the singer is trying hard as hell to sound like something he is not) and the songs are boring/unengaging overall. Doesn't lives up to the hype.

deafheaven_sq-e414f4300d392dd212ffee5d6153946ce6386477-s3.jpg

Offensive to pious ears. Sounds like a screamo band masquerading as a metal band, terrible lyrics and dull songs that go nowhere. Another turd from the vapid 'post-black metal' camp. Should have known better than to listen to this. Meh.

I think "post black metal" is generally shit but I'd rather listen to Sunbather than a lot of other stuff thrown into that category.

Frontvr2.jpg

So much self-plagiarism. I think Sounds Good to Me is my favorite song, and it sounds like some kind of jangle pop/REM attempt, but at least it's remotely interesting for them.

People don't like Gorguts - "Obscura" or Deafheaven - "Sunbather"? Fuck, I'm out, I knew poking my head back in here was a bad idea.