Albums currently displeasing your ass

Nah, as I said it's dull and boring. Top releases for me in Thrash were Hatchet - Dawn of the End, Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed and Toxic Holocaust - Chemistry of Consciousness. This were a big downhill for Warbringer since their earlier albums were good. The new Havok were also shit imo. Kinda bad year for Thrash. Death and Black were dominant this year.

This album is really really boring. Nothing imaginitive and the musicianship is sloppy at times.

Average at it's VERY best.

Woodtemple - Call from the Pagan Woods

115305004.jpg

Candlemass-Ancient-Dreams-525608.jpg

2.5 years and nicer headphones have not made this album any less intolerably boring. I don't know how this turned out to be such a lame album when compared to their other 80's releases. Admittedly the production is probably part of it, but fuck, there are almost no ideas here. The Bells of Acheron is the only one that feels particularly dynamic on a whole, and even it is just good and almost more of a trad metal thing anyways.

intotheinfernalregions.jpg

Decided to give Inquisition another chance since everyone seems to be fellating them nonstop. I thought Ominous Doctrines was OK but didn't see what the hype was about. Gave this one a listen and basically feel the same way. Decent, but not worth the hype. It would probably help if the vocalist wasn't the worst fucking vocalist in all of black metal.

165412.jpg

Don't get the hype surrounding Gris either. Personally I find it dull and at times annoying. I don't think they do a good job of weaving the nonmetal elements into the black metal sound. The final track was pretty, but also sounded nothing like the rest of the record.

I don't listen to much second-wave black metal, but when I do, crimsonfloyd is bitching about the vocalist. See also: the new Dornenreich album.

tDoB27q.jpg

Unfortunately this was what I half-expected when I heard this album had removed pretty much all metal and employed a fully shoegaze sound - the best way I can describe it is, in a word - boring. Shame.

You aren't alone and you took the words out of my mouth. A shame. A god damn shame. Essentially everything that made Alcest even remotely interesting has been gutted and stripped down to the most basic Alcesty sounding album one could come up with. What's left is something totally insipid and quite honestly extremely uncreative. People are praising them for making a progressive/transitional album.

Which is just plain stupid sounding to me because there isn't anything on that album that wasn't introduced or couldn't be introduced and utilized in some fashion on previous albums. I hear no new ideas. At all. A couple steps backwards in my eyes really. Not to mention most of the songs end up going nowhere at all, forget the overall sound. The songs to me seem pointless and just plain directionless, like they spent about a week jamming them out and then jumped into a studio and banged out an album just for the hell of it.

Well then you would REALLY not like this one. I loved the last one and this one is straight up poo poo. Although they sound totally different so you can't really compare them I guess. Either way I don't like it. I was planning on listening to it one more time just to see if I felt differently another time around but I don't know...

I couldn't disagree more. I thought the new Alcest was phenomenal. I always thought the non-metal elements of Alcest where some of their best aspects, so I guess it makes sense I would like this a lot.

I guess if you liked their earlier, more metal stuff better, it would stand to reason you wouldn't like this.