Albums currently displeasing your ass

The Garden of Unearthy Delights is one of Cathedral's better newer albums imo.

I really think The Last Spire is worth checking out. Fuck I think it might be their best album. (And don't really like them at all otherwise) Heavy as shit stoner doom type stuff.

Cover_pentagram.jpg

Some people on another forum are lamenting Drudkh's popularity over Gorgoroth, and I had always thought that Gorgoroth was one of those bands that existed only for controversy/the meme-factor. Actually listening to this, my assumption was correct. I mean, this isn't even that displeasing or anything, but this is some of the most unordinary and inoffensive music I've ever heard. The production is surprisingly sterile and non-kvlt as well. Is this like the Xentrix of Norwegian black metal or something? You know, once you've grown bored of listening to Testament and Heathen you have to scrape lower and lower until you're picking out bands best known for a gimmick or two above anything.

Someone posting an album in this thread insinuates that they think it's bad.

arch-enemy-khaos-legions-artwork.jpeg

As I've said before I don't like judging albums on the first listen but I can tell that I'm never going to enjoy this and trying to appreciate it would be a waste of time. Just look at the album cover. I'm mean just look at the fucking album cover for god sakes. Trust me it's as bad as it looks. I would use this album as example if I were trying to show someone a lot of the more modern cliche aesthetics and lyrical themes plaguing metal today. Primarily because the entire album is chalked full of them. These songs really weren't written with achieving anything remotely musically innovative or original in mind.

They were written to be "crowd pleasers" at festivals and shows. A ton of either extremely uncreative riffs or ones that just aren't very interesting at all. The same can be said for pretty much everything from the vocal melodies, the choruses and especially the guitar solos. Pick any early Metallica/Megadeth album at random with the exclusion of St.Anger and you'll find the solos on that album to be embarrassingly similar to these. Occasionally you'll get an Iron Maiden esque melody thrown in there as well.

It's a shame really because I like Doomsday Machine, Rise of the Tyrant and their back catalog interest me as well. This album was a massive nosedive for this band and their new album with a new vocalist looks like it's going to be even worse than this.

satyricon-the-shadowthrone_LRG.jpg

Fucking keyboards, fucking male clean vocals, fucking acoustic guitars, fucking everything. Now I don't mind all of those things in black metal but to this degree? Hell no. I don't even want to listen to this all the way through, the songs are painfully and unnecessarily long too.

satyricon-the-shadowthrone_LRG.jpg

Fucking keyboards, fucking male clean vocals, fucking acoustic guitars, fucking everything. Now I don't mind all of those things in black metal but to this degree? Hell no. I don't even want to listen to this all the way through, the songs are painfully and unnecessarily long too.

That picture won't show up, so I was surprised to learn that it was The Shadowthrone. I would've assumed you were talking about some second-rate symphonic black metal band. But old Satyricon is good stuff, and sufficiently raw that I don't see where you're coming from.

I haven't heard that one, but the early Nokturnal Mortum I have heard is easily some of the worst music.