Albums currently displeasing your ass

I actually really like Le Secret and their first full length. Not because they had more metal moments (honestly they were so scattered they hardly mattered)!just liked the music better in general.

Shelter is just generic and underwhelming. Ive listened to it probably a dozen times already and cant remember any of it. If this had been Alcest's first release it would probably have gone completely unnoticed.

Shelter is just generic and underwhelming. Ive listened to it probably a dozen times already and cant remember any of it. If this had been Alcest's first release it would probably have gone completely unnoticed.

Really? Man, it struck a chord with me right away. I just love the general feeling of the album and found it to be quite catchy.

Oh well. Different strokes, I suppose.

^^^I keep having the same reaction to the album as well. I listened to it again today and I'm finding that I have to force myself to sit through it and when I do, I'm thinking about wanting to listen to something else. Sure it sounds pretty and has clean production with sparkly guitars but honestly the songs just aren't very exciting to me. It sounds like something I would be really into and I keep wanting to like it but I can't. It just gets old quick for me.

080313_1705_watainthewi14.jpg

This was another disappointing one for me. I went from liking it to being indifferent to it to not liking it at all. The guitar tone really bothers me a lot. It doesn't have the sharpness or the crunch like the others did on previous Watain albums like Casus and Lawless. Very plastic sounding. I also think that it's a little too adventurous for them. I understand that they are trying to expand their sound but I think they're doing it in the wrong way here. At times the extra stuff like the acoustic guitars, electronic drums, vocal effects, and other random instruments not typically used in black metal or metal in general for that matter, are just there to fluff up some of the songs. It comes off as cheesy and lazy to me. And They Rode On is a brave step for them but let's face it Erik can't sing for shit. He has a lot of courage for trying especially considering the type of band he's in but he obviously has very limited range. There's actually a lot of good riffs on that album too. Oh well.

Not enjoying Crimson Moonlight's Veil of Remembrance, which I had high hopes for after reading reviews of it. The lyrics just seem whiny/self-pitying to me. I'm Christian myself but would strongly prefer that a band keep their "oh no who am I / what should I be doing" emo moments, and their "screams for Jesus" out of their metal lyrics. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea

sleep-dopesmoker-2012.jpg

I've only listened to this one time and I rarely judge an album on just one listen but I really did not enjoy this the first time around. It's just waaaaaaay too long. For those who don't know, this album contains just one song that runs over an hour long. Its extremely, extremely, repetitive and most of the riffs are your run of the mill stoner doom riffs, most of them not very good ones either. Most of them are dragged out forever and ever and fucking ever. Don't get me wrong I love Electric Wizard and shit but this takes this style of music to the unbearable extreme. They could have easily condensed it down to 30 or 20 minutes. Easily. I plan on giving it one more listen but I'm hesitant.

sleep-dopesmoker-2012.jpg

I've only listened to this one time and I rarely judge an album on just one listen but I really did not enjoy this the first time around. It's just waaaaaaay too long. For those who don't know, this album contains just one song that runs over an hour long. Its extremely, extremely, repetitive and most of the riffs are your run of the mill stoner doom riffs, most of them not very good ones either. Most of them are dragged out forever and ever and fucking ever. Don't get me wrong I love Electric Wizard and shit but this takes this style of music to the unbearable extreme. They could have easily condensed it down to 30 or 20 minutes. Easily. I plan on giving it one more listen but I'm hesitant.

If you dont enjoy it then you are listening to it wrong or just straight up dont enjoy drone-esque music. This is basically the ultimate stoner album. I dont think you can just sit there and listen to it sober, but if you are a fan of Sunn, Bong or Boris (Flood, Absolutego) etc then this is incredibly easy to listen to. Maybe you should give Jerusalem a listen instead. Its the same song split into 6 parts so you can try enjoy the song in smaller doses.

If you dont enjoy it then you are listening to it wrong or just straight up dont enjoy drone-esque music. This is basically the ultimate stoner album. I dont think you can just sit there and listen to it sober, but if you are a fan of Sunn, Bong or Boris (Flood, Absolutego) etc then this is incredibly easy to listen to. Maybe you should give Jerusalem a listen instead. Its the same song split into 6 parts so you can try enjoy the song in smaller doses.

I shouldn't have to be high to listen to anything. I don't see how "having to be high" negates the onus of musical quality from the band. Like I said I'll probably listen to it one more time or so but probably not any time soon. We'll see.

Used to jam a few of their albums in high school, just found out they released something new last year and god it fuckin sucks.

agathodaimon-in-darkness-cover-2013.jpg

I agree with you crimsonfloyd, but then again that's probably because I consider more stuff to be average than the standard listener who has pretty low standards.

Taake is generally pretty average but they occasionally have their moments. They do have some decent albums here and there plus there's far far worse BM out there. I can understand someone saying they like them but not praising them to the heavens. They generally stick to their usual BM typical sound on every album and play it relatively safe.

Yeah I mean it wasn't a bad listen and the last track was pretty cool, but some people hold them in really high esteem and I just don't see that. It's just a mish mash of ideas lifted from Norwegian second wave giants. I don't know, maybe that's not one of their stronger releases.

Yeah, I like Taake, I might even put them up their with my favorite traditional recent bm bands, but I very rarely agree with CF on anything black metal related, so it's not a huge surprise to me. Not even giving him shit, it just always seems that way. :lol:

Yeah, post-Forest Cathedral is a joke. tbh I think I've only heard a few songs from that particular one around when it came out, but I'll assume it's the same formula that makes up most of their stuff, complete with Dorian's trisomal vocals.