Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

tonight it was impossible to sleep.
i think i'm going to sleep again in my underground grave tonight! there are about 10 degrees less than upstairs in my basement :p

Haha it's rainy season here, but I guess it's hotter than the dry (due to the humidity). I always sleep naked ;) , it simply gets too hot.

I'm officially jobless and feeling incredibly depressed. I'm an English professor, I should be able to have a bloody job. I really don't want to end up working at an indecent call centre.

Haha it's rainy season here, but I guess it's hotter than the dry (due to the humidity). I always sleep naked ;) , it simply gets too hot.

today i'm gone to Firenze to buy some books i've order for my birthday.
never, never again i will go to firenze in summer!
it's hell on earth!
that was 38° in full shadow. and the owner of the book shop had the air-conditioning set on 15 or something. you could feel your own sweat freeze as soon as you put one foot inside the shop.
i hate air-conditioning :bah:

damnit lefay, i'm sooooo sorry i missed your birthday and didn't send my congrats! :oops::oops::oops: happy belated birthday girl!! :kickass::headbang::kickass:hope you had a good time and tons of presents!! :tickled:

(i log in on myspace like once in 2 weeks now, so i didn't see it was your birthday.....)

today i'm gone to Firenze to buy some books i've ordered for my birthday.
it's hell on earth!
that was 38° in full shadow. and the owner of the book shop had the air-conditioning set on 15 or something. you could feel your own sweat freeze as soon as you put one foot inside the shop.

Tanti auguri a te, tanti auguri a te, tanti auguri tanti auguri, e la torta a me!

I think that was how it was sung, but do correct me! Best wishes, hope you've a great time! Which books did you get? (Maybe you can reply on the book thread?).

Ah yes, the same happens at the beaches here. Not good, air conditioning is nice and all, but it pollutes too much and the drastic temperature change might give ye a cold.

I seriously hope I can get a job this semester, I really want to go to Colorado.

Oh, and the artwork for the new Enslaved album is out! I guess I like it, kind of weird, though. Haha it seems only yesterday that Øystein was saying "where're all the so-called progressive parts?" :p . I guess he and Ivar didn't end up in such good terms.

today i'm gone to Firenze to buy some books i've order for my birthday.
it's hell on earth!

God...That's actually why I keep getting sick. There is no air conditioning at work, so I spend 8 1/2 hours in 90-110 F temperatures, and then come home to ice cold air.

Oh, and the artwork for the new Enslaved album is out! I guess I like it, kind of weird, though. Haha it seems only yesterday that Øystein was saying "where're all the so-called progressive parts?" :p . I guess he and Ivar didn't end up in such good terms.

Enslaved is one of my favorite bands ever. But I keep hearing that they were terrible with Opeth last year (I mean, I saw them and they were terrible, but I assumed the chaos with their sound guy was opening tour show hiccups). I wonder if the Enslaved guys simply aren't as intense and professional about their music? I could see that pissing off a guy like Oystein, who is a consummate professional.

The Enslaved guys are more provincial, too. Some of them are fishermen by trade and more conservative.

damnit lefay, i'm sooooo sorry i missed your birthday and didn't send my congrats! :oops::oops::oops: happy belated birthday girl!! :kickass::headbang::kickass:hope you had a good time and tons of presents!! :tickled:

(i log in on myspace like once in 2 weeks now, so i didn't see it was your birthday.....)

ehehe don't worry!
it was a strange birthday. i don't know why. maybe it's just oldness which is approacching, i can't believe i'm already 28 :yow: :lol:

Tanti auguri a te, tanti auguri a te, tanti auguri tanti auguri, e la torta per me!

I think that was how it was sung, but do correct me! Best wishes, hope you've a great time! Which books did you get? (Maybe you can reply on the book thread?).

the song is correct, the only error is "e la torta a me!"
i feel ashamed for how many books i've bought :oops: so it better remain a secret! :lol:

God...That's actually why I keep getting sick. There is no air conditioning at work, so I spend 8 1/2 hours in 90-110 F temperatures, and then come home to ice cold air.

yes those change of temperature are not really healthy, my biggest problem is not to get ill, but to have pain in the muscles.
my muscles are really sensitive to sudden changes of temperature (not always of course, it doesn't happen in winter for example) , and above all to air conditioning, they get blocked and freezed, and they fucking hurt!
today i feel like a steamroller have driven over me! :loco:
not everywhere, but my shoulders and my neck really hurt!

Enslaved is one of my favorite bands ever. But I keep hearing that they were terrible with Opeth last year (I mean, I saw them and they were terrible, but I assumed the chaos with their sound guy was opening tour show hiccups). I wonder if the Enslaved guys simply aren't as intense and professional about their music? I could see that pissing off a guy like Oystein, who is a consummate professional.

The Enslaved guys are more provincial, too. Some of them are fishermen by trade and more conservative.

Yes, Enslaved is a great band. (I wanted to buy the LP collection but it's so freaking expensive that I can't). Oh, I would like to see Enslaved, but perhaps not in that tour hehe. Really? I never imagined the Enslaved guys as conservative! Very interesting. So they're like Gahl, living in a forest near Bergen all alone? But they're not homosexual… (as far as we know hahaha). I'm not sure if they're less professional than Øystein, but they probably are since the latter is certainly very professional.

the song is correct, the only error is "e la torta a me!"
i feel ashamed OF how many books i've bought :oops: so it better remain a secret! :lol:

yes those change of temperature are not really healthy, my biggest problem is not to get ill, but to have pain in the muscles.
my muscles are really sensitive to sudden changes of temperature (not always of course, it doesn't happen in winter for example) , and above all to air conditioning, they get blocked and freezed, and they fucking hurt!
today i feel like a steamroller have driven over me! :loco:
not everywhere, but my shoulders and my neck really hurt!

Oh, my girlfriend always sing "per me", could there be regional differences of the song?

No no, tell me, I want to know which ones you've bought! I'm an avid reader too, and buy lots of books per month. (Though I'm struggling to finish "I Will Fear No Evil" by Heinlein. Not a good intro to such a great author.)

Oh, my girlfriend always sing "per me", could there be regional differences of the song?

No no, tell me, I want to know which ones you've bought! I'm an avid reader too, and buy lots of books per month. (Though I'm struggling to finish "I Will Fear No Evil" by Heinlein. Not a good intro to such a great author.)

yes it could be, because "per me" isn't grammatically wrong.
but the version i know sings "a me"

okey, you asked it! :lol:
i translate the titles into english

- ossian: poems (ossian was a legendary celtic bard)
- bosi: viking's myths
- polia: runes and northern gods
- marchiorri: the magic drum. myths and legends of artic folks (i'm really into this now!!! i've read in the last week "myths and legends from siberian folks", REALLY REALLY an amazing book, then after it "legends from lapland" and now i'm reading "legends about siberian shamans")
- baldi: popular ballads from england and scotland
- carmichael: sidhe, old legends about faries (sidhe was the celtic fairyland, where tuatha de danan dwelled after their downgrading from gods to beings of the folklore)
- martin: the second sight, popular celtic magic (the second sight was the gift that some people had to see those creatures of the other world, also in nordic mythology)
- marillier: vikings, history, civilization and spirituality of men of the north
- giusti: old irish lyric poetry

some books of a nice publishing house about medieval poems and romances:
- havelok the dane
-la tavola ritonda (the round table, an old italian version of the myth)
-tristano riccardiano (again an old italian reprocessing of tristano's story)
- sir perceval of galles
- the gododdin (an old welsh eroic poem)

that's all :loco:
yes pretty monothematic i know.... :lol:

Yes, Enslaved is a great band. (I wanted to buy the LP collection but it's so freaking expensive that I can't). Oh, I would like to see Enslaved, but perhaps not in that tour hehe.
i like the new Enslaved artwork more than i liked Universal's cover... And i really hope the same for the music! Me i can't wait to see them playing live in october, together with Negura! It's gonna be epic!! :headbang::kickass::headbang:

Oh holy shit I'm actually in school to study Programming. :yow: (Warning - long)

It all hasn't been finalized yet, but two weeks after I got laid off from my job, I signed up for and started a course. Hopefully, I'll be able to do this while still collecting Unemployment Benefits, and I've been running around also for the past two weeks, going to meetings and the like, getting all of my paperwork ready to hopefully get it approved.

Washington State has something called Worker Retraining - basically, if you lost your job because your old profession is in decline, or you need a skills upgrade, the state will pay you to go to school to get that upgrade or train for a new career. Before I got laid off, I knew that the writing was on the wall, so I researched various programs to see what and where I wanted to study. I finally settled on C# Programming, a Certificate program, at a local place called Bellevue College. The other reason is that for one of the programs, you have to apply within 90 days of being laid off. I knew lots of people who blew that deadline, and I didn't want to be one of them.

I went to meeting #1 at the college on a Tuesday, and it didn't give me any info at all. But, they told me about another meeting for a couple of state programs on a Thursday, and I went to that as well. Basically, I would have to pay for tuition and books myself - but if it was a program that they approved of, and if they approve my application, I can qualify for the ability to claim my weekly Unemployment Insurance payment without looking for work, and also qualify for up to 26 more weeks of UI while studying. The last thing? If my program of study starts now, sign up and start your classes while waiting for the paperwork to be approved. So, when I got home, I found that the second class in the series of my certificate program? Started that Saturday, two days later! So, I fished out the credit card, signed up, got in, and now, every Saturday, I get up at 5:45 am to go study C# for 5 hours. (I finished the first class in the spring, before the layoff.) Just last Saturday, I wrote my first .dll. One of the best things is that the program is called CAT/TB. Sounds like you're giving a serious illness to a feline.

And now I just had a meeting with an Academic Advisor, who laid out all of the classes I'll need to take until next Spring, and I have another meeting next week, while they check over all of my paperwork - like, 20+ pages worth. (But, I'm not working , so it's not like I have anything else to do but fill it out and collate it :) ) Then, I send it in, and hope the Washington State Government gives me the blessing to go forth and study on their dime! :D

yes it could be, because "per me" isn't grammatically wrong.
but the version i know sings "a me"

okey, you asked it! :lol:
i translate the titles into english

- ossian: poems (ossian was a legendary celtic bard)
- bosi: viking's myths
- polia: runes and northern gods
- marchiorri: the magic drum. myths and legends of artic folks (i'm really into this now!!! i've read in the last week "myths and legends from siberian folks", REALLY REALLY an amazing book, then after it "legends from lapland" and now i'm reading "legends about siberian shamans")
- baldi: popular ballads from england and scotland
- carmichael: sidhe, old legends about faries (sidhe was the celtic fairyland, where tuatha de danan dwelled after their downgrading from gods to beings of the folklore)
- martin: the second sight, popular celtic magic (the second sight was the gift that some people had to see those creatures of the other world, also in nordic mythology)
- marillier: vikings, history, civilization and spirituality of men of the north
- giusti: old irish lyric poetry

some books of a nice publishing house about medieval poems and romances:
- havelok the dane
-la tavola ritonda (the round table, an old italian version of the myth)
-tristano riccardiano (again an old italian reprocessing of tristano's story)
- sir perceval of galles
- the gododdin (an old welsh Heroic poem)

that's all :loco:
yes pretty monothematic i know.... :lol:

Ah Ok, grazie.

Those look like great books! Which ones do you particularly recommend? I felt very attracted to the "marchiorri" and "giusti" books.

i like the new Enslaved artwork more than i liked Universal's cover... And i really hope the same for the music! Me i can't wait to see them playing live in october, together with Negura! It's gonna be epic!! :headbang::kickass::headbang:

Wait, you don't like Universal? ;) Hehe just kidding.

I like the artwork, it's weird, but it seems like a good balance between old and new school Enslaved. I have high hopes for the album! And I'm glad you'll be able to see them live!

@ Qu Appelle: Nice! Hopefully the US government will finance your studies instead of the invasion. This just came to my mind, how difficult is it to programme on/with C++? And what's it's purpose?

Ah Ok, grazie.

Those look like great books! Which ones do you particularly recommend? I felt very attracted to the "marchiorri" and "giusti" books.

sorry, i can't recommend anyone 'cause i haven't read any of them yet.
but yes, the magic drum must be very interesting.
i'm falling in love with those boreal legends.
i'm reading legends about shamans right now, well....i've nearly finished it to be honest :lol: it's a little bit more boring than the previous ones i've read about this argument, because it's a collection of legends told by interviewed people and some legends are repeated to death with only some little variants, so you can read the same legend also tree times or more...but it's really interesting how the shamans get their shamanic gifts, it's a sort of process that goes through a simbolic death and ribirth. the shamans lay nearly dead for days, without eating and drinking and they do a sort of travel in the other words (there are three words, the upper word, the middle earth where humans dwell, and the lower word) where demons dissect their body and eat the flesh, and they bring this flesh along all the streets of diseases (people who have seen those shamans lay in trance says that they really bleed and their clothes become red). if the shaman reaches all the illnesses he will be able in the future to cure all those illnesses, if the flesh isn't enought to feed all the demons and on consequence all the deseases, he will not be able during his future shamanic sessions to find the street to that exact desease and then cure it.
sometimes people of the family can be offered to those demons if the flesh isn't enought to feed all the demons, that's why people says that a powerful shamans is a disgrace for the family. the more powerlful he is the more victims there will be in the family.
a shaman can also refuse to offer members of his family and he will have less powers or he can decide to refuse his call and he will probably die after a little time.

@ Qu Appelle: Nice! Hopefully the US government will finance your studies instead of the invasion. This just came to my mind, how difficult is it to programme on/with C++? And what's it's purpose?

Thanks!

I may or may not be able to get funding, but even if I pay for it out of my own pocket, I get Federal tax credits for it. I have to see if i can be an Official Dislocated Worker though to see if I get fundage.

And I'm doing C#, not C++ :). C# is useful for writing a bunch of test automation on Windows, which I may do as a job. It's also good for writing programs that sync up with web pages, databases, and the like. Either way, it makes me scads more employable.

2010-08-08.gif

Harhar :lol: .

But this one is even better hahahaha:

2010-08-01.gif