Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

Yeah, there's a lot of shit going on in Italy, for example the usage of the military police (carabinieri) as part of the normal police. I mean: An army must not be active inside the country!

but they are.
they have basically the same tasks, the difference is that Polizia di Stato (state's police) is a police force and Carabinieri is a police force with a military regulation, that means it can both work inside the country as a police force and outside the country as an army force.
inside the country the do controls like the police, they stop people, check documents, mostly they search people like criminals, it's very common to find a car of Carabinieri at one side of the street that stops the other cars and check who's inside. this is made also by police, but carabinieri are a little bit more scary, cause they wear black military uniforms and they are always in couples. when they do these controls one man stops the car while the other one is standing on his feet with his machine gun in hands ready to shoot, this the praxis, they have to be ready to shoot if something goes wrong :ill:
yes it's quite worrying, it always makes you feel a strange sensation when you see those scenes, but i'm born here and i've always seen this happen, so in some way it has become quite normal...
there are also some subcategories of Carabinieri, NAS for example, they control foods and drinks that go in restaurants and supermarkets and in general everything connected with the manupulation of substances.

Hahaha, how the heck did Berlusconi come to be president? I guess he bought the votes, because as some Italians have told me, he's quite related to the mafia. But what do I know. Lefay, I think that sometimes everyone feels embarrassed of his/her country, it happens to me all the time. I know that Italia is a special case in Europe, being "underdeveloped" in compared to other countries. I don't understand the passion you have for your country to be honest, but it's something you should always feel proud of.

why was he elected?
because basically there are a lot of idiots here speaking of politics, he promised great things and people believed him. remember that the previous govern fell and it was a govern of the Left, so probably people had no more confidence with it.
anyway whoever governed italy in the last years , the left or the right, they did only damages and didn't work for the growth of the nation :yuk:

i feel proud of my country because it's basically beautiful, for cities and nature, just this summer Dolomiti mountains became protected as a good from UNESCO. it has a great history and culture. and people is really awesome and incredible, friendly, open, sunny, and i feel good here. if you walk the streets a lot of people will give you a smile, and i know this doesn't happen in many other places.

I didn't know that stuff about the ships, can you post some links? It's quite sad, it hurst me, being the eco freak I've always been, long before it became a fashion (Captain Planet!). Anyhow, it's interesting that this happens a lot in Europe: Big mess = big company to cover it up = big money = biggest problem when people find out. It's like when some company in Germany was accused of basically burring a bunch of computers in an African country, instead of recycling them like they were supposed to. Maybe someone knows exactly what happened?

here you are some english links to this news:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Italian_mafia_implicated_in_radioactive_waste_dumping
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/16/Informant-Mafia-sank-radioactive-ship/UPI-65511253116832/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/16/shipwreck-waste-mafia-italy

we are not new to toxic wastes. just some time ago the autorities discovered a toxic hill in calabria. the mafia has hidden some wastes inside it and people who lived there started to wonder why the cases of cancer became so common in that zone :cry:

ok i (just now) went to google maps to finally figure out where the hell Skellefteå is situated exactly... only to discover i've actually been there 8 years ago :lol::lol: this is so cool, i had no idea! i took a look at the pictures google showed around the place and i definitely recognise St. Olovs Kyrka, and can vaguely remember eating my swedish lunch at a place looking like Strandpromenaden... Me and my (now ex-) husband were on our way to Nordkapp driving all the way up north along the swedish coast so i'm sure i've been there. It's just almost impossible to put names to images of hundreds of places i've seen on the way... now i'm kinda getting nostalgic... :)

here you are some english links to this news:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Italian_mafia_implicated_in_radioactive_waste_dumping
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/09/16/Informant-Mafia-sank-radioactive-ship/UPI-65511253116832/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/sep/16/shipwreck-waste-mafia-italy

we are not new to toxic wastes. just some time ago the autorities discovered a toxic hill in calabria. the mafia has hidden some wastes inside it and people who lived there started to wonder why the cases of cancer became so common in that zone :cry:

Thanks for the links! :)

Nothing like some good old forum necromancy. RISE, MY FRIENDS, RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!!!

:lol: RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIISE!!!

ok i (just now) went to google maps to finally figure out where the hell Skellefteå is situated exactly... only to discover i've actually been there 8 years ago :lol::lol: this is so cool, i had no idea! i took a look at the pictures google showed around the place and i definitely recognise St. Olovs Kyrka, and can vaguely remember eating my swedish lunch at a place looking like Strandpromenaden... Me and my (now ex-) husband were on our way to Nordkapp driving all the way up north along the swedish coast so i'm sure i've been there. It's just almost impossible to put names to images of hundreds of places i've seen on the way... now i'm kinda getting nostalgic... :)

Haha that's awesome! Now next time that you go there you know you have to look for a lad called Andreas Hedlund and harass him for all of us.

Ex-husband? How old are you, you look like 20 in your avatar?

Ex-husband? How old are you, you look like 20 in your avatar?

what kind of question is that?! :Shedevil::lol::p but thnx! i wish i were 20... the av picture is so small, you barely can see how old i am :p (it was taken this june btw). i've posted the bigger version in the "own pictures" thread @ Borknagar forum, maybe you can see better. Anyway, i'm already at that age when such comments^ make women rather reluctant about their true age. I'm several years younger than Andreas, and that's all i wanna say about that :p

I'm several years younger than Andreas, and that's all i wanna say about that :p

then you're not old :lol:
you must be al least 30. i'm 27 and i don't feel old or embarassed for my age, it's just a matter of mind :)

you look great in those photos anyway. i love the elvish style in the first photo! :oops:

then you're not old :lol:
you must be al least 30. i'm 27 and i don't feel old or embarassed for my age, it's just a matter of mind :)

you look great in those photos anyway. i love the elvish style in the first photo! :oops:

:oops: thnx! :oops: i don't feel old at all, i'm rather proud of my age! the reason i don't tell how old i am is because i really don't want to be judged by my age. it's just a number!! But people have a certain image in their minds of how a person "supposed to be" and "supposed to look"when they're 20, when they're 30 etc. I generally dont fit in that image, that's why i don't want to be judged by my age number.

what kind of question is that?! :Shedevil::lol::p but thnx! i wish i were 20... the av picture is so small, you barely can see how old i am :p (it was taken this june btw). i've posted the bigger version in the "own pictures" thread @ Borknagar forum, maybe you can see better. Anyway, i'm already at that age when such comments^ make women rather reluctant about their true age. I'm several years younger than Andreas, and that's all i wanna say about that :p

Haha well I just looked at your pics, you don't look twenty, but you're still pretty ;) .

I thought the first rule was not to ask their weight? lol

What I usually do is try to guess their age and subtract 10 years from the age I've come up with, and ask if they're that old, which usually is too young and they take it as a compliment :)

Which might actually be exactly what Defiance did just now.

:oops: thnx! :oops: i don't feel old at all, i'm rather proud of my age! the reason i don't tell how old i am is because i really don't want to be judged by my age. it's just a number!! But people have a certain image in their minds of how a person "supposed to be" and "supposed to look"when they're 20, when they're 30 etc. I generally dont fit in that image, that's why i don't want to be judged by my age number.

my mother says to me everytime i go to a concert "don't have had enought of that? when will you grow up?"
the problem is with Expectations, people thinks that there are things you can do when you're 20 and then you're old enough to do that, they always expect from you a certain kind of behaviour that goes with your age.
but they don't understand that is this what makes people become old. i think everyone have the right to do the things he/she likes, without caring about other people judgement, without feeling too old, just have fun and feel free.
of course there are responsabilities, like if you have a child, a familily or a work, but i don't want to build up a self-made cage just because society/family/friends expect this from me!
i've no kids, i've a work that sometimes gives me a lot of freedom, i've a boyfriend who is like me, so i don't understand why i have to follow some stupid rules for the only reason that i'm going to be nearly 30 :oops:

edit: i forgot one thing.
i don't have problems with my age also because people always gives me a lot of years less the ones i have :lol:
some years ago i went to the post office to pay something and they asked me if i was 18, i had to show them my driving licence. i was 25 ehehehe :lol:
this is not a problem really, it's better to look younger than older of course, but when you are very young it's quite disappointing because you start to feel adult and people thinks you're still a teenager :p

Dude, never ask a girl how old she is. I thought that was the first rule everyone learned about women.

See next post :) .

I thought the first rule was not to ask their weight? lol

What I usually do is try to guess their age and subtract 10 years from the age I've come up with, and ask if they're that old, which usually is too young and they take it as a compliment :)

Which might actually be exactly what Defiance did just now.

Hahaha kind of :p. Anyhow, I have been with my girl for four years :)hypno:), and I know her age and weight :p , so no problems there hehe.

my mother says to me everytime i go to a concert "don't have had enought of that? when will you grow up?"
the problem is with Expectations, people thinks that there are things you can do when you're 20 and then you're old enough to do that, they always expect from you a certain kind of behaviour that goes with your age.
but they don't understand that is this what makes people become old. i think everyone have the right to do the things he/she likes, without caring about other people judgement, without feeling too old, just have fun and feel free.
of course there are responsabilities, like if you have a child, a familily or a work, but i don't want to build up a self-made cage just because society/family/friends expect this from me!
i've no kids, i've a work that sometimes gives me a lot of freedom, i've a boyfriend who is like me, so i don't understand why i have to follow some stupid rules for the only reason that i'm going to be nearly 30 :oops:

edit: i forgot one thing.
i don't have problems with my age also because people always gives me a lot of years less the ones i have :lol:
some years ago i went to the post office to pay something and they asked me if i was 18, i had to show them my driving licence. i was 25 ehehehe :lol:
this is not a problem really, it's better to look younger than older of course, but when you are very young it's quite disappointing because you start to feel adult and people thinks you're still a teenager :p

:lol: funny, I think that happens a lot, apparently the same social stereotypes are everywhere.

And it's people work (the word "people" is always taken as plura, i.e. people + are).

And you have a job, but you work too much.

i have no idea if i do look like my age or not, maybe people think i'm at least 5 years younger because of the way i dress and act. I mean, almost all my former schoolmates and childhood friends have kids now, i on the other hand pretty much still feel like a kid myself :D But, if people think that, why should i tell them they're wrong and i'm actually 5 or more years older than they thought :p

i don't have a problem with the weight question at all, i guess the rule of thumb should be: if you think the girl looks not so slender, don't ask her weight :p why should that matter anyway hehe... So, it's the age question that you never should ask directly, but more kinda sneaky questions that let you figure out/calculate her age by yourself :p

i feel embarassed for my weight :oops:
i'm not fat, but i'm not so slender, so :oops:

the fact is that the most part of girls here has a weight of 50-55 kilos, but they are also smaller then me. the avarage height here for women is about 160 cm so it's quite normal to have that weight.
i'm about 170 cm, so people look at you like that :OMG: if you say that your weight's number begins with a six :Smug:

well i'm 165 - 166 cm , and my weight is around 60 kg (+/- 1-2 kg) so it also starts with a 6 :p i used to be worried about that but all the guys i ever knew always told me i'm just the right size, not too thin that it gets uncomfortable when involved in certain activities, but also not plump or fat. So as long as it stays that way, i'm not embarassed for my weight :) and I guess you shouldn't be either ;)