Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

It was HUGE news in Seattle. And I have no opinion as to the verdict. I just want to hear what the Italians say about Seattle :lol:

nothing in particular has been said about seattle.

if i think to your city the first thing that comes to my mind is grunge music, and honestly i don't know anything else, never been to the united states, and neither have a big impatience to go, there are so many beautiful places, places that i haven't seen yet, in europe that worth to be seen, being european :rolleyes:
i've never been to spain or portugal for example :oops:

I've been to Spain long ago, but unfortunately it was the Canary Islands, which is a tourist hell. I'd love to travel the countryside of Spain, Portugal, Italy and Greece.

nothing in particular has been said about seattle.

if i think to your city the first thing that comes to my mind is grunge music, and honestly i don't know anything else, never been to the united states, and neither have a big impatience to go, there are so many beautiful places, places that i haven't seen yet, in europe that worth to be seen, being european :rolleyes:
i've never been to spain or portugal for example :oops:

You know, I don't blame you! Europe is much more beautiful than America, as a whole, and I've only been there once. I want to go back, however. I'm aiming for next Summer.

And yeah - when I meet people and they hear "Seattle", they tend to think 'grunge' or 'coffee'. Or 'rain'. Occasionally, 'computers' and/or 'planes' come up.

Spain is pretty, especially Catalonia, which might not be part of Spain pretty soon. ;)

Ah ha ha ha ha ha :lol: .

You know, I don't blame you! Europe is much more beautiful than America, as a whole, and I've only been there once. I want to go back, however. I'm aiming for next Summer.

And yeah - when I meet people and they hear "Seattle", they tend to think 'grunge' or 'coffee'. Or 'rain'. Occasionally, 'computers' and/or 'planes' come up.

By America I guess you mean U.S. right? :rolleyes: Because if not I completely disagree with you.

yeah, i forgot rain.
but why coffee?

yeah, i forgot rain.
but why coffee?

Starbucks is founded here. And for that we are truly sorry :lol:

And, the stereotype is that people drink a lot of coffee here. A LOT. Which, for the most part, is true - there are coffee and espresso shops *everywhere*, and they all get business. In smaller cities and the countryside, there are even 'espresso shacks', where someone literally sets up a shack, with an espresso machine and various supplies, and sells espresso out of it. These are wildly popular.

To add even more weirdness to it all? There's now a trend to have 'sexpresso shacks', where the baristas are dressed in skimpy clothes. Some of these have been shut down under charges of prostitution.

Here's a link to what an espresso shack looks like. I've actually been to this one many times, it's a decent place. This one is in Everett, WA: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1309/1430674940_a645005539.jpg?v=0

lol I always thought it was founded in New York. Starbucks coffee is great, their plain black coffee I mean. Haven't tried any other kinds, despite the fact that those milky/fruity concoctions that don't taste like coffee at all anymore, are what they're so well-known for.

lol I always thought it was founded in New York. Starbucks coffee is great, their plain black coffee I mean. Haven't tried any other kinds, despite the fact that those milky/fruity concoctions that don't taste like coffee at all anymore, are what they're so well-known for.

WHAAAAATTTT????????

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yuk:

sometimes, watching american films or series i really cannot believe that coffe is drunk during meals as water or coke. really weird to me. :loco:
we have strong beliefs about coffe. it must be espresso. it must be drunk at the end of meal, with sugar or not, it depends from personal tastes (i prefer with sugar, because it's very bitter without, but the purists say that it's better without sugar). with some drops of milk sometimes (it's called macchiato, which means stained, served again in the tiny cup of espresso. the milk can be added cold or hot with froth, again a matter of tastes) or with some strong alcohol (like grappa or rhum). but absolutely not during meals. it must be strong and thick, not black coloured water, better with a little bit of froth. the level of the coffe must not exceed the half of the cup.
we have also a lot of strange combinations. ristretto (restricted) which is a coffe made with the normal quantity of powder and about half quantity of water, we have doppio (double) which is a coffe made with the same quantity of water for a normal coffe but with a double quantity of powder...and for the bravest and strong-hearted ones we have doppio ristretto (double restricted) which is a smash in the face, double powder and half water....nearly solid :lol:

i remember i was shocked when i went to hungary and had dinner in an italian restaurant. people ate pizza, and then cappuccino.
cappuccino is not an after-meal coffe. cappuccino is ONLY for breakfast :lol::lol::lol:

WHAAAAATTTT????????

HERESY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yuk:

sometimes, watching american films or series i really cannot believe that coffe is drunk during meals as water or coke. really weird to me. :loco:
we have strong beliefs about coffe. it must be espresso. it must be drunk at the end of meal, with sugar or not, it depends from personal tastes (i prefer with sugar, because it's very bitter without, but the purists say that it's better without sugar). with some drops of milk sometimes (it's called macchiato, which means stained, served again in the tiny cup of espresso. the milk can be added cold or hot with froth, again a matter of tastes) or with some strong alcohol (like grappa or rhum). but absolutely not during meals. it must be strong and thick, not black coloured water, better with a little bit of froth. the level of the coffe must not exceed the half of the cup.
we have also a lot of strange combinations. ristretto (restricted) which is a coffe made with the normal quantity of powder and about half quantity of water, we have doppio (double) which is a coffe made with the same quantity of water for a normal coffe but with a double quantity of powder...and for the bravest and strong-hearted ones we have doppio ristretto (double restricted) which is a smash in the face, double powder and half water....nearly solid :lol:

i remember i was shocked when i went to hungary and had dinner in an italian restaurant. people ate pizza, and then cappuccino.
cappuccino is not an after-meal coffe. cappuccino is ONLY for breakfast :lol::lol::lol:

There are some places in Seattle that serve coffee like this - they take care to use only the finest ingredients, they often roast their own beans, they pour ristretto shots, don't do 'gimmick' or sweet fruity drinks, etc. There is a coffee house run by an Italian restaurant that's a few blocks away from where I live that pulls their espresso shots *by hand* - I had a latte there that was one of the most divine and wonderful coffee drinks I've ever had.

Then, there are places like the espresso shack I linked to above, where you can get monstrosities like a 40 oz latte, with 6 shots of espresso in it. :zombie: Let us not mention the horror that is known as the 'Yoguccino'. (Yes. This is a iced cappuccino made with sweetened and flavored yogurt. It's as disgusting as it sounds.)

There are some places in Seattle that serve coffee like this - they take care to use only the finest ingredients, they often roast their own beans, they pour ristretto shots, don't do 'gimmick' or sweet fruity drinks, etc. There is a coffee house run by an Italian restaurant that's a few blocks away from where I live that pulls their espresso shots *by hand* - I had a latte there that was one of the most divine and wonderful coffee drinks I've ever had.

Then, there are places like the espresso shack I linked to above, where you can get monstrosities like a 40 oz latte, with 6 shots of espresso in it. :zombie: Let us not mention the horror that is known as the 'Yoguccino'. (Yes. This is a iced cappuccino made with sweetened and flavored yogurt. It's as disgusting as it sounds.)

OMFG :zombie:

we have yogurt with coffe-taste which is quite good, but it's only a flavoured yogurt and nothing more. never heard about this strange invention :lol:

OMFG :zombie:

we have yogurt with coffe-taste which is quite good, but it's only a flavoured yogurt and nothing more. never heard about this strange invention :lol:

Welcome to Seattle. :lol:

If there's a food product that could somehow have coffee or espresso involved in it in any way, shape, or form, we will do it - no matter how disgusting the final result is. It's precious, really. Oh! And it's marketed as a diet drink! :rolleyes:

Parts of U.S. are very pretty, even if compared to Europe! it's just qualitatively speaking, not as much of it is pretty. At least most of Western Europe seemed to be pretty from top to bottom when I last visited. Large swaths of US are the great plains, which are booooooooooooring. But the Northeast is really nice. The big cities are along the coastline instead of in the immediate hinterland, but if you drive around, for example, New Jersey, which has the reputation for being the biggest shithole on Earth, the country is gorgeous. Not that most people do anything but drive through there. And I dunno, the prettiest place I've ever seen is Marin county, and I've been to France / Italy / Spain / Switzerland. I hear that some of the Big Sky states really awesome too, but you have to go really out of your way to get there, since, you know, Montana and the Dakotas aren't exactly known for their awesome urban centers.

woooohoooo, it's finally snowing here!! :hotjump:
i'm off to make some wintry pictures in the forest! (looks like the end of the working week for me: tomorrow dentist and Metal Meeting, saturday more Metal Meeting :headbang:)
with a bit of luck we're going to have white xsmas here (fingers crossed) :D

OMFG :OMG:

it's snowing also in here!!!!! on the coast :zombie:

it happens something like once every 5-10 years o_O

Parts of U.S. are very pretty, even if compared to Europe! it's just qualitatively speaking, not as much of it is pretty. At least most of Western Europe seemed to be pretty from top to bottom when I last visited.I hear that some of the Big Sky states really awesome too, but you have to go really out of your way to get there, since, you know, Montana and the Dakotas aren't exactly known for their awesome urban centers.

Very true. I've been through North Dakota and Montana on the train many times, and it's very deslolate. Pretty, but desolate.

And I have to thank you for reminding me of Big Sky country! South Dakota is one of those places I want to visit someday; when my great grandparents came from Vik, Norway, they settled there first. It'd be interesting to see the areas that they lived in. I've been trying to brainstorm where to go for a nice spring vacation, and I think I found it!

Parts of U.S. are very pretty, even if compared to Europe! it's just qualitatively speaking, not as much of it is pretty. At least most of Western Europe seemed to be pretty from top to bottom when I last visited. Large swaths of US are the great plains, which are booooooooooooring. But the Northeast is really nice. The big cities are along the coastline instead of in the immediate hinterland, but if you drive around, for example, New Jersey, which has the reputation for being the biggest shithole on Earth, the country is gorgeous. Not that most people do anything but drive through there. And I dunno, the prettiest place I've ever seen is Marin county, and I've been to France / Italy / Spain / Switzerland. I hear that some of the Big Sky states really awesome too, but you have to go really out of your way to get there, since, you know, Montana and the Dakotas aren't exactly known for their awesome urban centers.

i was speaking of cities! i don't like modern cities/architecture. i don't have any particular interest about seeing modern cities, like new york or all those cities with skyscrapers, towers and stuff. i know there's more than big new metropolis in the USA (but surely it's the first thing that comes to my mind when i think to your country) , some people are really fascinated by this kind of things..... but i'm not :oops:
regarding nature instead, US must be very beautiful.

Yes. The US.

Ah OK, tsk tsk I should start a discussion of why they U.S. keep calling themselves 'Americans', but oh well perhaps later.

Indeed! I've been to the U.S. like three or four times. I really liked New York and Boston, nice and apparently civilised cities. Would love to go to a forest in the U.S. or something, but I don't really like the idea of going to the U.S. :p . Heck, I'm even mad that I have to stop in the U.S. on my way to Canada, but what can I do.

OMFG :OMG:

it's snowing also in here!!!!! on the coast :zombie:

it happens something like once every 5-10 years o_O

o_O wow. But you kind of live in the north, don't you?

It's snowing here too, lots of people have died. It's the first time in history it does. It's the end of the world and it's not 2012!!!

It's all rubbish, me lads ;) .

o_O wow. But you kind of live in the north, don't you?

It's snowing here too, lots of people have died. It's the first time in history it does. It's the end of the world and it's not 2012!!!

no, i live in the centre, and on the sea, this is the nicredible thing. it snows so rarely on the sea. just think that 2 week ago we still had a temperture of 20 degrees :zombie:
and it has started to snow again.... :)

the flakes are quite big for being on the sea, and it has started to remain solid on the ground :headbang: