Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

it is hot for being still spring, and still april.
i know there are hotter places around the world, but i have big problems with my 40° in summer, so i don't want to imagine how i could feel with 50° :erk:
well i could tell you:rolleyes: when i go to the beach i like to walk without sneakers, naked foot :lol: and i always walked without sneakers in beach, never burned my feet..so when i was in Rj..near the lunch time i went to the supermarket in the end of the street *something like 200m* without sneakers...i burned all my feet, the skin go to the ground :cry::cry: and theres no wind...you walk in street and is all stuffy

Sigurðr;9054149 said:
well i could tell you:rolleyes: when i go to the beach i like to walk without sneakers, naked foot :lol: and i always walked without sneakers in beach, never burned my feet..so when i was in Rj..near the lunch time i went to the supermarket in the end of the street *something like 200m* without sneakers...i burned all my feet, the skin go to the ground :cry::cry: and theres no wind...you walk in street and is all stuffy

ahahah poor feet!!!! :lol:

last year i went to see motorhead in Florence, which is the most important city of my region.
i'm used to temperature of 35 degrees, but i live on the sea, there's a lot of humidity which makes you feel much heat than the real one, but we have a lot of wind too, and wheter it's an hot wind, makes you breath a little bit better.
but when i got down the car in Florence is was like to jump into a big hairdryer...it was 40 degrees and it was already evening...i had boots on my feet and my soles wanted to melt on the street, and there was no wind, you can barely breath....the city is in a valley surrounded by a crown mountains, so not wind at all.
it was a nightmare!!!
the crew of the festival started to spalsh water over the croud using big pumps because people was feeling real bad! somebody fainted for the heat....

last year i went to see motorhead in Florence, which is the most important city of my region.
i'm used to temperature of 35 degrees, but i live on the sea, there's a lot of humidity which makes you feel much heat than the real one, but we have a lot of wind too, and wheter it's an hot wind, makes you breath a little bit better.
but when i got down the car in Florence is was like to jump into a big hairdryer...it was 40 degrees and it was already evening...i had boots on my feet and my soles wanted to melt on the street, and there was no wind, you can barely breath....the city is in a valley surrounded by a crown mountains, so not wind at all.
it was a nightmare!!!
the crew of the festival started to spalsh water over the croud using big pumps because people was feeling real bad! somebody fainted for the heat....

oh god D: thats terrible, i hate very hot weather:mad: here thanks god we dont have too much hot temps, summer is like 28..32, dont pass this,just in some cases, but now here is autumn so we have more cold weather, las week we had 6 degress:p

it was a nightmare!!!

I was in Florence in 1999, while staying in Pietrasanta and venturing out to different cities in northern Italy. After spending a 40 C day in Florence, I went back to the little hotel to take a shower, and the water washed black off my hair and body.

That is one hot, polluted city in the summer.

Also, it snowed here briefly yesterday!

I was in Florence in 1999, while staying in Pietrasanta and venturing out to different cities in northern Italy. After spending a 40 C day in Florence, I went back to the little hotel to take a shower, and the water washed black off my hair and body.

That is one hot, polluted city in the summer.

Also, it snowed here briefly yesterday!

did you stay in pietrasanta???? it's really really near to where i live, about 10 kilometers....:)

did you stay in pietrasanta???? it's really really near to where i live, about 10 kilometers....:)

Yes ma'am. My grandfather was making sculptures as part of some art festival or something of the sort. We stayed in Pietrasanta and then would venture out to Venice, Florence, etc and stay one night, and then return to Pietrasanta. It was with a large chunk of my mom's side of the family, so we went around being loud, annoying Puerto Rican tourists. Speaking Spanish didn't seem to help. I guess the Spanish have a worse reputation than Americans in Italy and in France! People would be rude until we switched to English. Then they were like, eh, Americans. And they'd be polite. =)

I might be in Forli in the fall for a conference. Don't know, as they haven't rejected my abstract yet (ahehe).

Yes ma'am. My grandfather was making sculptures as part of some art festival or something of the sort. We stayed in Pietrasanta and then would venture out to Venice, Florence, etc and stay one night, and then return to Pietrasanta. It was with a large chunk of my mom's side of the family, so we went around being loud, annoying Puerto Rican tourists. Speaking Spanish didn't seem to help. I guess the Spanish have a worse reputation than Americans in Italy and in France! People would be rude until we switched to English. Then they were like, eh, Americans. And they'd be polite. =)

I might be in Forli in the fall for a conference. Don't know, as they haven't rejected my abstract yet (ahehe).

yes, pietrasanta is a famous city of art! cool that you grandfather does sculpures! what kind of material does he use? pietrasanta is well known for the marble-working...

well i think that usually italians (not me) see the USA as a mirage :lol:
now the euro is pretty strong compared to the dollar, so now we can travel easily there, but when we had the lira, USA were too expensive, and only richest people could afford to go there....and american were seen as richer than us, especially the ones who travelled to italy....so probably more respect were payed to them.
while spanish-speaking people not necessarily comes from usa, but more often from spain....and usually all the latino folks have a bad reputation around the world because we are messy, intrusive, talkative, and we are people who likes to party and create chaos.
it happened to me sometimes outside italy to be looked like "hey, look at those italians" like if we were some kind rare species of animal....specially in germany.
but i still remember when i went to wacken, and we were well organized for doing camping. we travelled with the car so we stopped many times cause the travel was long, about 20 hours. we stopped in a little parking area along the railway, and we started to prepare some pasta using the camping stove.
people looked at us like "ohhh italians
11.gif
" but when a nice flavour of cooked pasta invaded all the parking area they all seemed to be suddently interested in what we were doing :lol:
then a couple of german old people took some courage and came to us, asking if they could sit there and taste some pasta!!!! :lol::lol::lol: but being italians we have to bring forward the flag of our nation, we could not refuse to be as open and hospitable as we always are, so we ate together, having a good talk (they spoke a little bit of italian) and offered them also some good italian coffee!!! :)

yes, pietrasanta is a famous city of art! cool that you grandfather does sculpures! what kind of material does he use? pietrasanta is well known for the marble-working...

Well, he does more than sculptures. His paintings made him famous. Here's some pics. They're low quality resolution, though:

http://www.galeriaexodo.com/augusto_marin/augusto_marin.html

I don't see any sculptures online. There's a facebook group that the University of Puerto Rico in Cayey put together. But I'm not sure if it's just full of pictures of people hogging the camera during exhibitions. His sculptures come in all sorts of materials; we have some marble ones at home, but there are others.

We were in Pietrasanta quite some time ago, 1999 if I'm correct. They might still have some of my grandfather's sculptures in that town. Just don't know where they would be displaying / selling them.

That'd be nice, I'd love to see a basketball game. I'm going from 27-30 October. Anything interesting around those days, or is it to early to tell?

Basketball season starts on Nov.4 lol

HOWEVER that's right in the middle of football season, so I recommend you catch a Denver Broncos game. Storied football franchise, and you'll get a piece of Americana by going to a game. It's a little pricey but it's fun, you'll get to say you've been to an American football game, and it's a good time.

Americans are pretty polite and civil when it comes to pro sports, with the exception of hecklers and post-championship riots when the L.A. Lakers win in basketball.

I think there's a marathon going on, too.

Are we still talking about the weather? Let's talk about the weather.

In Seattle, it is currently colder in May than it was this January. I had to pull my big raincoat *out* of the closet last weekend. And currently? 41 degrees Fahrenheit. With rain and hail.

However, it also prompted me to order this book, along with some other things from Amazon: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weather-Pacific-Northwest-Cliff-Mass/dp/0295988479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1273084037&sr=8-1"]The Weather of the Pacific Northwest - by Cliff Mass[/ame]. I'm looking forward to reading it!

Basketball season starts on Nov.4 lol

HOWEVER that's right in the middle of football season, so I recommend you catch a Denver Broncos game. Storied football franchise, and you'll get a piece of Americana by going to a game. It's a little pricey but it's fun, you'll get to say you've been to an American football game, and it's a good time.

Americans are pretty polite and civil when it comes to pro sports, with the exception of hecklers and post-championship riots when the L.A. Lakers win in basketball.

I think there's a marathon going on, too.

Oh by Oden, I hate 'American' Football. I really do. But I might as well see it live, to have (perhaps) more reasons to hate it. Who knows, maybe I'll become a Broncos fan :p . I'm not sure if I'll have time though, but I guess it's worth trying. I hate the Lakers too hehe.

Oh!

Happy Volcano Day!

30 years ago, Mt. St. Helens decided to remind us mortals who's really in charge here, and dusted ash all over the Pacific Northwest in the USA. Now it's a news extravaganza, with All Volcano, All the Time. Along with constant reminders that the volcanoes that surround us can go off without warning, at any time, etc. etc.

It's really surreal for me to live in an area with active volcanoes. I know how they work, how they exist, etc - but they just seem beyond comprehension to me. But now I know what to do in case of a lahar - run!

Oh!

Happy Volcano Day!

30 years ago, Mt. St. Helens decided to remind us mortals who's really in charge here, and dusted ash all over the Pacific Northwest in the USA. Now it's a news extravaganza, with All Volcano, All the Time. Along with constant reminders that the volcanoes that surround us can go off without warning, at any time, etc. etc.

It's really surreal for me to live in an area with active volcanoes. I know how they work, how they exist, etc - but they just seem beyond comprehension to me. But now I know what to do in case of a lahar - run!

I see Seigmen in your recently played songs. I salute you for having great taste.

Oh!

Happy Volcano Day!

He you should live in Costa Rica, we have lots of volcanoes here. A lot of them (seven?) are actually quite active, so any day they just might go KABOOM!!!