Alec's Tavern : The Frost Blast

there'll always be someone with horrible taste that will like said albums --> or on the contrary there will always be some dumbass who will not like a masterpiece!

as you said there are no 100% objective reviews. a reviewer can be influenced by personal tastes, more or less deep knowledge of the band, high expectations and stuff.
and that's why i don't like also concerts' reviews and have always refused to do them. one can really enjoy one show for a lot of reasons and someone else can be very disappointed.

Another problem with reviews... some albums take a lot more than one listen to really appreciate. And some bands are tremendous studio bands while being absolutely terrible live (Enslaved), while others have the opposite problem (quite a few power metal bands, like Blind Guardian and Saxon).

I think there's a baseline objectivity one can strive for, but ultimately we have to embrace our subjectivity, because we can't be objective. The fact that we perceive through our senses alone means we can't reach some sort of rational (which is also a subjective term) objectivity.

the only news i'm glad to hear are those which come directly from the bands, like the updates andreas gives us here. they are pretty exciting, it's cool to know progresses and to be the first to know titles, release dates and stuff. and i like to know the artist's opinions about his album, which are of course not objectiv too, but comes from the mind who has given birth to the album itself and they are in some way more intersting that other's people opinions....

Yes! I always get very excited when there's a new thread by Andres, it's always good news!

Another problem with reviews... some albums take a lot more than one listen to really appreciate. And some bands are tremendous studio bands while being absolutely terrible live (Enslaved), while others have the opposite problem (quite a few power metal bands, like Blind Guardian and Saxon).

I think there's a baseline objectivity one can strive for, but ultimately we have to embrace our subjectivity, because we can't be objective. The fact that we perceive through our senses alone means we can't reach some sort of rational (which is also a subjective term) objectivity.

Yes yes! Take the last Blind Guardian: I hated it at first (as a fellow reviewer here hehe), but now I absolutely love it!

Haha so Enslaved sucks live? Too bad. I don't think BG has one single bad studio album to be honest :p .

I think there can be reviews that have objective parts based on the reviewer's musical expertise, but a lot of people review and they really think that pure Norsk Svart Metal is the best thing ever composed. I think you also need to be familiarised with X band, someone who hasn't listened to one may offer a fresh perspective, but I think you should listen to a band's discography before reviewing their latest album.

it's really hard to understand what's a personal view and what's a general truth when you read a review. the only "nearly-scientific" way you can use is to read a lot of reviews about the argument and point out the common aspects and opinions. those will be probably objective.
this is exactly what i do - i like to read as many reviews as i can find about a very important to me new release and then filter out (i guess that's what Agah meant by force out) the useful info. Usually it gives a pretty fair image of what to expect. But i only do this with releases i've been extremely impatient about (like Týr's By the Light of the Northern Star and Borknagar's Universal), and i'm sure i will be googling every day for the reviews on the upcoming Vintersorg release soon :D

the only news i'm glad to hear are those which come directly from the bands, like the updates andreas gives us here. they are pretty exciting, it's cool to know progresses and to be the first to know titles, release dates and stuff. and i like to know the artist's opinions about his album, which are of course not objectiv too, but comes from the mind who has given birth to the album itself and they are in some way more intersting that other's people opinions....
I love the updates from the bands about the progresses and details of the recording process, but i've learned not to trust their personal opinions about their own new releases in the least, as no opinion can be more subjective! Especially when they claim it to be "something which going to be huge musically speaking and something that have never been done before" :rolleyes:

Haha so Enslaved sucks live? Too bad. I don't think BG has one single bad studio album to be honest :p

BG's studio albums are good! But they're just good. BG live? Holy fucking shit! Do you own the Imaginations from the Looking Glass Live DVD? Oh my god. That band is a different monster live! And Saxon... totally ho hum albums. Live? Different fucking story, my friend. I find the same thing with Armored Saint (who I have zero interest in their albums, but saw them live and was like what the fuck, these guys rock).

I don't know if Enslaved is always bad live, but they were horrific with Opeth last year. They are one of my three favorite bands, and it pains me to say that. And I don't mean that in the sort of "high expectations" way. They were just plain terrible. Their sound guy was sort of dithering while smoking a cigarette during the set. They had huge problems with their sound. I talked to people who went to later shows because they couldn't make the NJ with me, and they all said the same thing. Enslaved just played really terrible all tour.

If the Opeth guys had the same problem with their sound, they would have simply stopped their set and called out their sound guy on the spot. But their sound was awesome. He knew every beat to every song. He was even "air drumming" during songs, keeping up with what was going on and then doing his thing. It was pretty cool.

Now, I can't totally complain about the Enslaved sound guy... he gave me their setlist. =))))) He just turned around and was like, want this? I'm like YES ME EMEMEEMEMEMEE EEMEM E ME ME M ME ME. So a little love for the dude there for being a cool guy. He should probably smoke less and pay a little more attention to the set next time they tour, though. ;)

I love the updates from the bands about the progresses and details of the recording process, but i've learned not to trust their personal opinions about their own new releases in the least, as no opinion can be more subjective! Especially when they claim it to be "something which going to be huge musically speaking and something that have never been done before" :rolleyes:

of course the artists' opinions are the less objective ones, but still i think that they show some good perspectives, because who knows better an album than the artist itself who has made it? i think some aspects can come out, aspects that may rest hidden to a reviewer that has listened to the album once or twice.
and i like to see the passion and enthusiasm that an artist shows speaking of his own creature (of course i'm always speaking of favourite artists). i think that he has put all his best purpose and care to do an album, wheter it comes out good or not, so i don't think it's a matter of subjectiveness, will to sell, or risk of disappointment. i know you are speaking of borknagar, what can i say is that it was nice for me to hear the band speaking with enthusiasm of their lastest work, but i didn't make myself great expectations from what i've read becuase the last album is always the best, you can read every band's in the world statement and you will always find this two magic words "best album", if i have great expectation is just because it's a great band, but again when i listen to the album i build up my personal opinion, and no reviewer and band's statement will influence this.

Interesting stuff from http://lostinstockholm.com/

It is that time of the year of the again when international bodies release data about the #1 country for gender equality or cleanest place to live or best place for dogs.

Now, the World Justice Project’s 2010 Rule of Law Index ranks Sweden as number 1 in five of the nine categories. These are: government accountability, absence of corruption, clear and stable laws, open government, and regulatory enforcement.

I am well aware that Sweden is one of the best countries to live. It is the land of Volvo, Ikea and Swedish waffles. But while I have been happiest here, I today, find certain aspects of Swedish life hard to digest.

* Sweden is safe. No, violent crimes, rape, and petty theft are rising fastest in Sweden.
* Regulatory enforcement – ie. the Swedish government works. Oh the Swedish government works so well that the average murder sentence is 7 years. If you are lucky can train to be a doctor while in prison (no Swedish papers covered this), get only 1 year for murdering a friend, or never be arrested for beating an innocent person with a gun. That’s right folks, rule of law works!
* Government accountability – Sweden is friendly to immigrants and it’s easy to assimilate. Well, Sveriges Demokraterna has unearthed the skeletons from the Swedish cupboards.
* Absence of Corruption – Renting an apartment is corrupt free. Because the government turns its eye away from the rental market system it keeps its hands clean. That’s right, text message bidding and vying for black market secondhand rental contracts is corrupt free.
Oh, did I mention a real estate agent represents BOTH the seller and the buyer?? And the Swedish government was responsible for billions in renovation and building projects during the 1960-1980s? We all know that the real estate market and construction are the “cleanest” industries.
* Clear and stable laws – Swedes have tough driver’s license exam therefore “they are better drivers.” The Swedish country aside, Stockholm has some of the worst drivers I have ever seen in a developed economy. Running red lights, making illegal turns, refusing to yield to pedestrians, overtaking police cars are some reasons why Stockholm drivers are rarely pulled over by traffic cops. Wait?! Where the hell are the traffic cops??
* Open government – Systembolaget protects you from alcohol. The government does not want you drinking. The taxman also wants to make more money. Solution: sell evil alcohol with 200% tax rate and everyone wins! Create a governing board structure that is so complex that no one knows who runs this entity. As a good samaritan, when drinking is most prevalent (weekends, Midsommer, Christmas), pass out flyers and advertise on TV that drinking too much is bad.

I still brag that Sweden is a wonderful place to live; with caveats. My glass shattered back in Jan when my husband was beaten. That warm, fuzzy feeling of Swedish life disappeared. Justice and law failed us when we most desperately needed closure.

Sweden is not perfect, and my hope is that we strive for society becomes safer, more open, and easier to live in; not the other way around.

---

I'd like to know how much of this is true.

'Overqualification' is quite common, I think. There can be several reasons: Among others: you are too expensive, you will be bored and thus ineffective, you applied for the wrong job, you are too old, there's a chance for you to look for another job, the boss just doesn't like you but is not allowed to say that.

Rant mode on: I went to a job interview this morning and I wasn't selected for being 'overqualified'!!!... WTF!

And holy fuck you cut your hair! Job, I guess? Bored, perhaps? But what Thridek pointed out is quite true, there are professors here that do the courses ad honorem because the Unis simply can't afford them.

On other news, I'm in Colorado right now for the ATA 51st Conference. Very interesting, and very nice; it's not your typical gringo city: They do care about the environment here! Went "Oppi Fjellet" (maybe some will know the band) yesterday in Boulder… kind of boring mountains, not many tress nor birds (it is fall, though).

Cheers!

holy shit!
winter has come. from one day to another.
yesteday night it was 3 degrees, while the night before you could go outside wearing only a sweater.
i love winter, but hey, calm down! i need a little bit of adaptation and notice.

'Overqualification' is quite common, I think. There can be several reasons: Among others: you are too expensive, you will be bored and thus ineffective, you applied for the wrong job, you are too old, there's a chance for you to look for another job, the boss just doesn't like you but is not allowed to say that.

That's right. I'm still looking for a better job and I hope to get some good news soon.

@Defiance: I cut my hair just for the job quest. Being an audit accountant I think it looks very bad to have the hair so long as I had. This time I'm not missing it, since I think I look fine anyway.

Tomorrow is Oktoberfest!! I'll get wasted there.

@Defiance: I cut my hair just for the job quest. Being an audit accountant I think it looks very bad to have the hair so long as I had. This time I'm not missing it, since I think I look fine anyway.

Hi Allfader. It's a pity, but in this business world, sometimes they forces us to cut the hair :bah:

Recently, I cut my hair too, but not because of work, but the baldness is coming.... :lol:

Congratulations and be luck in your new job!!