Alright. Serious topic and I want no sarcasm in it because I got a school issue.

Compared to private, public school rocks, dude. Instead of dropping out, tell your parents that if you can't go to public school, you will (drop out, that is). If they're logical people (which they may not be, considering you're in private school) they'll choose public school. If that doesn't work, then transfer. If there's one good thing a learned from private school, seeing as how they didn't properly teach anyone anything, is that you can't beat them and you can't join them. You have to escape them.

Dont drop out....

Honestly i would go to your parents and tell them he says these things. If they dont believe you get a voice recorder and coax him into doing it again.

This is abuse, metal abuse, and it goes on in ALOT of private schools. I have a friend who is a teacher as well as a wife that is a teachers aid (till she gets her masters) and i hear horror stories everyday.

THEY CAN GET IN A HEAP OF TROUBLE if they don't change their ways.

1. The federal academic board will pull their licensing if you can get hard proof
2. They can be fined.

You need to have everyone stand up and be heard. Don't let them get away with it.

3. FIND A NEW SCHOOL AFTER YOU SEND THIS ONE UP SHITS CREEK!!!!

the whole formality of acquiring your high school diploma, then getting your BA and masters degree, is a necessary evil.

If you had stopped at high school degree I would totally agree with you. But now just think for a second, if everyone got their BA and masters how much good is it going to do you? Nobody will have any advantage over anyone else anymore. College is Not for everyone, their are a few reasons everyone is told that. Reason one is the money they will get from you silly people paying for college, reason two is that schools need to send people off to college to make themselves look good in order to get funding. They really don't give a shit about you, unfortunately. Now in your case college probably is a good idea, so I typed all that for not, but oh well.

The majority of people will find very little use of what they teach in American high schools in their real life (high schools outside of the US are very different from what I've gathered). Sure, some of it is important, but who will actually use advanced math or advanced science unless they become a doctor, an engineer, a chemist or something like that?

...You completely missed my dear, lovable, well dressed and groomed, though slightly slow, friend's point. COMPLETELY. In fact, you even went so far as to repeat what he refuted in bullet point one: "It's not about the information." Then, you actually had the sheer gall to just completely ignore the core of his argument, bullet point two: "It's all about processing it." Seriously. Coommmeee oooooon.

Do whatever you want. This whole thing is way too short to listen to hundreds of idiots tell you what to do.

I swear, if any of you think this is ironic, I'll snap and kill you. No kidding.

I agree with Derek, but I must add my two bits.

A producer doesn't just turn knobs and tell the band that they need to add a note here or there. If they are good producers, they're geniuses. You wanna be a producer? First, you need to learn to play at least two other instruments. Then you need to learn (as someone said) physics and math at a level higher than high school, unless you're some prodigy who's naturally gifted. Then you need to become an engineer, in which you actually need to know more about the equipment and its functionality more so than the producer. People don't just produce albums because they have a good ear. It's hard work and requires a lot of intelligence in many different fields. If you're going to drop out of school, you better be fuckin' A awesome at something else that can earn you lots of money with like computer networking, financial matters, or be the next Yngwie Malmsteen on guitar. Even if you're a good guitar player, that doesn't mean you can live on your abilities. I know people who play as good if not better than Yngwie or Jason Becker, and they put tomato sauce on a pizza for their jobs because they can't do anything else. The old adage is true: it's not what you know, it's who you know. If every great musician were paid based on their ability, then the world wouldn't be cursed with Britney Spears.

If you're willing to do shitty jobs for the rest of your life just so you can have more time to practice guitar, then go for it. I spent 9 years in the military just to get to where I am today, and I'm still a nobody. I'm in a good place and have a good job simply because I learned a different language and I'm a mother tongue english speaker. I was lucky to meet my wife on a train coming back from Milan three years ago. I was in the right place at the right time and at the right stop...that's not even luck, that's fate. Are you gonna start riding trains in hopes that your life will all of a sudden take off? No. You better prepare, whether with school or other endeavors.

If you had stopped at high school degree I would totally agree with you. But now just think for a second, if everyone got their BA and masters how much good is it going to do you? Nobody will have any advantage over anyone else anymore. College is Not for everyone, their are a few reasons everyone is told that. Reason one is the money they will get from you silly people paying for college, reason two is that schools need to send people off to college to make themselves look good in order to get funding. They really don't give a shit about you, unfortunately. Now in your case college probably is a good idea, so I typed all that for not, but oh well.
What is a high school degree going to do for you without a BA or some kind of masters?
I know college is not for everyone. I know a masters and a BA are not really so important, but it is much more difficult to find a decent job without some kind of degree. The only real advantage to not having a masters is that you make less, which puts you in a different tax bracket where you pay less in taxes (I know someone who got promoted after getting a masters and ended up making less for a couple of years because of it).

...You completely missed my dear, lovable, well dressed and groomed, though slightly slow, friend's point. COMPLETELY. In fact, you even went so far as to repeat what he refuted in bullet point one: "It's not about the information." Then, you actually had the sheer gall to just completely ignore the core of his argument, bullet point two: "It's all about processing it." Seriously. Coommmeee oooooon.
retarded penguin said:
i fucking hate you cocksucking wads of cum that don't shut the fuck up with the "all they do is teach you useless shit".
I wan't arguing with his first point. I was arguing with his second point (^this one)
But they don't effectively teach the material in many high schools. The way they teach, it's mostly to get the kids to remember the material for the tests. They don't utilize proven teaching methods where the students will remember the information for years to come. You can't expect a student to study advanced math or advanced science all the time so they will remember it, if they have no practical use for it. People who practice playing the guitar WANT to play the guitar. It's practical for them. If math B is practical for a student, then he will continue to study it when he goes to college and chooses a field relating to that material.

What is a high school degree going to do for you without a BA or some kind of masters?

So you're saying I shouldn't bother to graduate from high school? I've only been told that by one other person. Ironically that was my boss, who has no high school degree and never got his GED and makes $200 an hour on some jobs. Though I've already been offered the job I want when I graduate I don't think the guy who offered it to me would be to thrilled if I dropped out. Thanks though :). Also one thing most people don't factor in to wages they will be making with and without college is the loans. Your average person is going to be paying quite a bit of loans after just a four year stint, imagine those who go on to get their masters. If I get a job that pays me $5-10k less a year because I don't have a college degree I will not actually be coming out behind. At least not immediately.

I don't have to imagine how much in loans a master's education results in. Despite earning a number of grants, scholarships, and waivers in pursuing both my BA and MA, as well as working full time for most of it, I've got 35,000 in debt I dread paying off. That said, I do have a number of opportunities which while not insanely lucrative, are more than I would have with a high school diploma or GED. Education opens many opportunities depending on what you are hoping to achieve. On the other hand, it can be entirely irrelevant in other respects.

That said, I should point out a friend of mine from high school who didn't graduate, and got his GED went into carpentry and eventually contracting. The same year I was graduating with my BA and still making about ten bucks an hour, he had finished building his own house (which he owned with virtually no debt) and was clearing 70,000 a year at 22.

Precisely. I'm going into automotive, if I wanted to work at the stealership I would likely need to go to some sort of technical school, but since I don't I will do fine with only high school. Being smart doesn't hurt either.

So you're saying I shouldn't bother to graduate from high school? I've only been told that by one other person. Ironically that was my boss, who has no high school degree and never got his GED and makes $200 an hour on some jobs. Though I've already been offered the job I want when I graduate I don't think the guy who offered it to me would be to thrilled if I dropped out. Thanks though :). Also one thing most people don't factor in to wages they will be making with and without college is the loans. Your average person is going to be paying quite a bit of loans after just a four year stint, imagine those who go on to get their masters. If I get a job that pays me $5-10k less a year because I don't have a college degree I will not actually be coming out behind. At least not immediately.
Wait, I never said don't finish high school. A high school diploma is VERY important, but it's more like a stepping stone. These days, you need a BA and some kind of masters. Most people go for these degrees now. Businesses will not pay for people to go and get their masters anymore. If you don't have one, it will be more difficult for the average person to find work.
Not all masters degrees will screw you over with loans. An MBA is only 1 year full time, can be 2 years if it is not full time. Going to a local college isn't going to cost you an arm and a leg.
Don't forget that you can pay off the loans in many, many years, at a very low interest rate. You may not look forward to paying it back, but in the long run, it more than pays off.
Just because I am only 19, I have seen all of this myself. This is advice that I've gotten from other people with a wealth of experience.

Most people work for about 40 years (aka, the 40 year plan). You might as well get whatever degree you can get while you are still young, because that 5-10k will add up.

By the way, find out about all the grants, which don't need to be paid off, you are entitled to. All students some government grants, but not that many know about it. I was supposed to learn all about that stuff for my work, but I didn't get around to it yet.

I don't have to imagine how much in loans a master's education results in. Despite earning a number of grants, scholarships, and waivers in pursuing both my BA and MA, as well as working full time for most of it, I've got 35,000 in debt I dread paying off. That said, I do have a number of opportunities which while not insanely lucrative, are more than I would have with a high school diploma or GED. Education opens many opportunities depending on what you are hoping to achieve. On the other hand, it can be entirely irrelevant in other respects.

That said, I should point out a friend of mine from high school who didn't graduate, and got his GED went into carpentry and eventually contracting. The same year I was graduating with my BA and still making about ten bucks an hour, he had finished building his own house (which he owned with virtually no debt) and was clearing 70,000 a year at 22.

Yep, school is not the world - some people have a unique ability (luck?) to just make it.

I can relate to the debt issue, despite working during my studies (mostly), I still finished it all off with about 20000 of debt. That's sitting at about 9000 just now, though.