Am I the only one here who didn't care for...

BWP was the first thing I heard by Opeth, and it's probably my favorite by default. I don't see how anyone could dislike "Bleak" and "The Drapery Falls" but to each his own. To me, Morningrise is good, especially TBYF and TNASW but the other songs don't really do it for me. Not that they are bad songs, they just don't do much for me. I guess it all comes down to how much you've listened to each album and exactly when you got into Opeth.

i think u people are foolish, some of you//blackwater park is a melodic masterpiece, with some of the best opeth songs ever in my opinion, how can u not like "bleak" "the leper affinity" or say the rest of the album which is all great. u cant touch the chord progressions on that album, or the singing. top quality opeth.

Originally posted by Children of Flames
Blackwater Park is pretty boring compared to the masterpieces 'Orchid' and 'Morningrise'. Luckily 'Deliverance' beats the crap out of Blackwater Park.
Are you serious? After listening to Deliverance non stop for over a week I just popped in BWP and it is sooooo much better! I think Deliverance suffered form poor production. Listen to the atmosphere on BWP! All the layered guitars, electrics and acoustics. Those floating E-bow notes. Also BWP is WAY more complex. Just listen to The Leper Affinity. The riffs are so much more interesting. On Deliverance they just reapeat a so-so riff over and over and over. When they used repetition before on previous albums there was a good flowing feeling with it. ANd though the riff would stay the same, there would be those great E-bow tones changing and sliding all over the place. Not so on Deliverance. DOn't get me wrong, I love the new CD. I just think I was enchanted by the great production job Wilson did on BWP.

Originally posted by thirdeye
i think u people are foolish, some of you//blackwater park is a melodic masterpiece, with some of the best opeth songs ever in my opinion, how can u not like "bleak" "the leper affinity" or say the rest of the album which is all great. u cant touch the chord progressions on that album, or the singing. top quality opeth.
Exactly!

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
Are you serious? After listening to Deliverance non stop for over a week I just popped in BWP and it is sooooo much better! I think Deliverance suffered form poor production. Listen to the atmosphere on BWP! All the layered guitars, electrics and acoustics. Those floating E-bow notes. Also BWP is WAY more complex. Just listen to The Leper Affinity. The riffs are so much more interesting. On Deliverance they just reapeat a so-so riff over and over and over. When they used repetition before on previous albums there was a good flowing feeling with it. ANd though the riff would stay the same, there would be those great E-bow tones changing and sliding all over the place. Not so on Deliverance. DOn't get me wrong, I love the new CD. I just think I was enchanted by the great production job Wilson did on BWP.

I wouldn't say the Deliverance is "poorly produced". They meant for it to be raw and thin, just like they wanted BWP to have a prominent bass and thick guitar sound. I think both production styles suit both albums accordingly, but BWP is the better album for me.

I just have to say this... GAH!

Morningrise sucks!
Opeths worst album.

When I first listened to it I thought it was something wrong with my speaker. I sounded really bad with no sub at all.
The guitars sounded like crap, the drums sounded like a drum machine and was really bad recorded. The bass.............

Black rose immortal should be divided into three songs!
To bid you farewell isnt good vocally.

There is a huge step between Morningrise and MAYH and everything is much better in MAYH!

1: MAYH (evil)
2: BWP (haunting)
3: Still Life (sad)
4:
5: Orchid (quite good)
6:
7: Morningrise (bad recording)

Expecting to get flamed....
:hotjump:

Oh! and BWP: s production, sound is GREAT!
I havent listened to Deliverance yet...

Originally posted by Risedfromthedead
I just have to say this... GAH!

Morningrise sucks!
Opeths worst album.

When I first listened to it I thought it was something wrong with my speaker. I sounded really bad with no sub at all.
The guitars sounded like crap, the drums sounded like a drum machine and was really bad recorded. The bass.............

Black rose immortal should be divided into three songs!
To bid you farewell isnt good vocally.

There is a huge step between Morningrise and MAYH and everything is much better in MAYH!

1: MAYH (evil)
2: BWP (haunting)
3: Still Life (sad)
4:
5: Orchid (quite good)
6:
7: Morningrise (bad recording)

Expecting to get flamed....
:hotjump:

Oh! and BWP: s production, sound is GREAT!
I havent listened to Deliverance yet...

:lol: Good stuff! hehehehe! :lol:

I'll rate my favourite Opeth albums in order:
1)BWP
2)Still Life
3)Morningrise
4)MAYH
5)Orchid

For me, Opeth didn't really come into their own untill Still Life. Their albums previous were good, but they lacked composition amd direction, which was fixed in Still Life.

I like Deliverance even though it is not the emotional experience of MAYH or Still Life..The title track of BWP (and of course Bleak) take me places..Morning Rise and Orchid are classic if not flawed..I didn't mind BWP, but there is a lot of repitition on Deliverance, but some interesting psychedelic interludes..(acoustic interludes are not as prevelant or as awesome as the contrasts between soft and heavy flooored me on previous Opeth releases)..However, Opeth sacrificed the contradictions of soft and heavy compositions for moshable heavy repetitive riffs..It's still coool to listen to, and there are some surprises on Delivernace, ( a latin beat or two (ala Sepultura), a funkier, jazzier, looser feel, and yes a moshable riff orgy..Goes to show you how talanted this band is, and if you wanted heavy Opeth, here it is..Sure Delverance isn't as charasmatic or even epic as previous releases, the songs aren't as epic or as emotional but it's still great music..I'll be listining to this CD for the rest of the year and its growing on me..It's cool to hear a heavier Opeth, but I like the contrast between heavy prog/death and acoustic..The composositions here on Deleverance are not as emotional but are still miles ahead of these stupid American nu metal bands..Steve Wilson has done a good production job on Deleverance..Soemething different from Opeth..Hmm..Still room for growth with Opeth and that's scary..Hails..-l-

Every single Opeth album is unique in its own way yet you still can recognize that it's Opeth anyways.

I agree that they've changed a lot with let's say the first two releases but you should ask yourself why you are judging an album to be good or bad...

My rating:

1) Orchid
2) Morningrise
3) Still Life
Blackwater Park
My arms, your hearse

I can only listen to one or two songs of those 2 last albums mentioned in a row and then i want to turn it off!!! I really dont like the music on those albums, but i can listen to still life, orchid and morningrise a couple of times in a row :)