Am I the only one here who didn't care for...

Originally posted by abyssofdreams
but you should ask yourself why you are judging an album to be good or bad...
I judge an album to be good or bad based on if I like it, which with art is really all you can base it on. I love the first 3, SL is ok, and I don't like BWP.
Although, I wouldn't actually say it's a bad album, I just don't like it. If it's on, I'll listen to it quite happily and there are plenty of good parts to it, it's just the Opeth I fell in love with is the Opeth that did the first 3 albums, and if I'm in the mood to hear them, it'll be one of those albums- I have no motivation to listen to BWP.

Rating the Opeth CDs:

(I've yet to hear "Deliverance", however)

1) Blackwater Park (by far; by leaps & bounds above the rest)

2) Still Life ("Serenity Painted Death", "White Cluster"...near perfection!)

3) Morningrise (Ranks 3rd ONLY due to "Black Rose..." & "Bid You..." - otherwise, it would be 4th)

4) MY Arms... (Inching closer & closer to wrestling the #3 spot from 'Morningrise')

5) Orchid (not bad....for a debut album. Tends to be boring at times)

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom
I judge an album to be good or bad based on if I like it, which with art is really all you can base it on. I love the first 3, SL is ok, and I don't like BWP.
Although, I wouldn't actually say it's a bad album, I just don't like it. If it's on, I'll listen to it quite happily and there are plenty of good parts to it, it's just the Opeth I fell in love with is the Opeth that did the first 3 albums, and if I'm in the mood to hear them, it'll be one of those albums- I have no motivation to listen to BWP.

maybe that matter is just too high for someone's ability to understand and see through things...

not to be mistaken ;)

I think it's rather stupid to try an' enforce your opinion on someone else. Everyone has a different set of ears, and with that, a different set of parameters by which we judge music. What is bland to some is rapturous to others. To blatantly tell someone that his/her opinion is wrong, or doesn't matter, is asinine. For being fans of "complex" music, the same mental acuity is rarely displayed in your posts. But, that does not go for the -entire- forum, just the majority.

And for the record, BWP is a good album. Everyone who disagrees is wrong. ;)

P.S. - Morningrise still sucks.

Originally posted by Dreamlord
You mean first two killer releases.

BWP= B.O.R.I.N.G.

I hate it when people say the oldest stuff is the best just so they can complain about change and act like an "old school fan". It is completly obivious that all the albums after the first 2 are completely superior. On the first two. Worse singing, poor(no) song structure, poor recording, far less interesting riffs, so-so lyrics. I don't think Opeth truely started to delve into thier own sound until MAYH, and even then it wasn't untill still life that it matured. I like the first 2 albums but you must atmitt there inferiority. Even Mikael has commented several times about the poor song structure on the first two albums.

Originally posted by Poison Godmachine
I hate it when people say the oldest stuff is the best just so they can complain about change and act like an "old school fan".
As opposed to those of us who actually ARE old school fans, not just acting??
It is completly obivious that all the albums after the first 2 are completely superior.
Well, shouldn't it be obvious that that is your opinion??

>>Worse singing,

In regards to the clean vocals, probably, but then do you judge how good an album is by what a band releases AFTER it?? Who cares if Michael sings better now, that has no baring on how good the old albums are, merely that the performance on the new ones is better (good performance <> good album)

>>poor(no) song structure,

Disagree, it's no different from any of the other millions of metal albums made up of a hundred riffs thrown together, and many of them do relate. Guess it's just personal taste as to weather you like that or not

>>poor recording,

Disagree, it's good enough to get the point across, apart from the vocals being a little too high in the mix, everything sounds cool to me. And to me, recording quality doesn't mean alot, so long as it's audible

>>far less interesting riffs,

:lol: sorry, I have to laugh at that. You don't find 2 guitars doing different things yet still intertwining to be interesting? Man, the riffs make those albums. That probably explains why you don't like them as much.

>>I like the first 2 albums but you must atmitt there inferiority.

Not at all. Infact, I find the structure of the songs on BWP to be boring, I find the riffs boring (more chord based as opposed to melodic, which is what I like about the old stuff).

>>Even Mikael has commented several times about the poor song structure on the first two albums.

Yeah, but even that is just another opinion, and that's all this is, people's opinions. There really is no point in arguing about it, you like what you like.

I find the comment about how people pretend to like the old albums just to be 'old school' extremely stupid. Thats a crock of shit. I like them because I like them, only an idiot judges albums based on how 'tr00' they are. Bullshit to the highest degree buddy.

I'm not an old school fan, I started with BWP, which I love, and worked my way backwards. Each and every Opeth album has aspects I love, they are all brilliant, stop acting like such fools people, although you are of course allowed your little opinion, like I am.

ps. Morningrise is excellent, I still fail to see how anyone couldn't like it, maybe thats just me?

Umm, who the hell "pretends" to like anything? That's a completely ridiculous idea. What kind of 5th grade mentality is that, to accuse someone of pretending to like something just to be "old school"...

But, for the record, Morningrise is by far my least favorite Opeth album... (Heh, and no, I'm not tr00, and no I'm not old school, and don't give a fuck who is. :p )

I just like MAYH, BWP, Still Life, and Orchid to the point of ridiculous and think Morningrise falls short. But that's me. :p

To me, Morningrise sucks only when based on Opethian standards. I just find Orchid to be so much more enjoyable. You have to understand, though-- my first two Opeth songs were The Twilight is My Robe [still my favorite] and Forest of October, so maybe I'm a bit biased.

I hate it when people say the oldest stuff is the best just so they can complain about change and act like an "old school fan".

Who's complaining? I simply stated my opinion. "Old school fan"? My first Opeth album was MAYH, so if that's "old school", then so be it. God forbid I actually think the first two albums are the best.

It is completly obivious that all the albums after the first 2 are completely superior.

Obvious to whom? To me it is completely obvious the first two are completely superior.

On the first two. Worse singing, poor(no) song structure, poor recording, far less interesting riffs, so-so lyrics.

You completely described the latest three Opeth albums with this.

I don't think Opeth truely started to delve into thier own sound until MAYH, and even then it wasn't untill still life that it matured.

Key words here, ladies and gentlemen: "I don't think"= pure opinion

I like the first 2 albums but you must atmitt there inferiority.

Inferiority to what? The last three albums? Please, don't make me laugh any more. My sides already hurt from your previous asinine comments.

Even Mikael has commented several times about the poor song structure on the first two albums.

Well, unlike some Opeth fans (you), I have a mind of my own and don't feel the need to kiss the band's ass.

I agree Morningrise is WAY overated. :mad:

I like the album ,but come on the best? The vocals are nowhere near what they are today ,and the production isnt exactly masterfull. I love the guitar on the album ,but personally feel Orchid ran together better. Much better solos as well.

BRI itself stops like 4 or 5 times. Might as well have been diffrent songs and Nectar isnt exactly their best work ...

I like it but feel that its way to over rated. I just dont see what make morningrise so special compaired to My Arms, Your Hearse, Still Life or BWP.

my rankings for the pure hell of it.... not including new album.

1. My Arms, Your Hearse
2. Still Life
3. Blackwater Park
4. Orchid
5. Morningrise

Maybe I'm just strange in the fact that my tastes bridge the old/new stylings of Opeth. I mean, my two favorite albums are Still Life and Orchid, the better of which depends on my mood. I just feel that Morningrise sounds simply like leftovers from the Orchid sessions. Then again, a lot of people say that about Still Life and My Arms, Your Hearse, so to each his own, no? Still Life has it's own identity separate from MAYH, whereas Morningrise, to me, sounds like B-sides [well, B-sides is a crude term].

I won't say I don't care about BWP, which is a great album with great songs, but it give me less emotion than My arms... and Still Life... It 's clear for me that on this point, BWP is weaker...

Originally posted by Liquid Tension
hahahaha!!! I would like to offer a simple solution to you and that is to STOP listening to it! It makes you come out here with these immature challenges for everyone to agree with you! Now if anything this type of behavior screams that this person doesn't have any balls because they NEED others to agree with them!:rolleyes:

First off puddlemonkey its a message board, it wasn't a "immature challenge", it was a question to see where other Opeth fans on this board stood with that particular release. Second, if the wording of my question offending you in some way...... GOOD! :wave: