Am I the only one here who didn't care for...

Orchid and Morningrise have some really great riffs, but if you ask me the actual songs are lacking. I get the impression they just played all these cool riffs and then said "ok, lets put this one here, and this one here, lets put a mellow part inbetween these two, ok there, we have a song!" On the later albums it seems that Opeth's writing songs moreso than riffs, while to me on the first two I get the impression it was the other way around.

One problem with "BWP" in my opinion is that it sounds so uninspired. Especially the drumwork is just the same repeating rhythms & breaks.

I don't understand that some of you people actually compare the *production* of "BWP" and "Morningrise".

That's like looking at a painting and finding the frame the most interesting part .. ;)

A song like 'Advent' (or any other song from that disc) has more interesting ideas than the complete 'BWP' album together.

I think some of you should get past listening to Black Rose Immortal (which is a very poorly made track in my opinion) 20 times a day, and maybe actually listen to the later albums. I don't see how you can honestly say something like Advent having more interesting ideas than BWP. Please, do yourself a favor, and listen to the album.

Originally posted by Sacrilicious
Orchid and Morningrise have some really great riffs, but if you ask me the actual songs are lacking. I get the impression they just played all these cool riffs and then said "ok, lets put this one here, and this one here, lets put a mellow part inbetween these two, ok there, we have a song!" On the later albums it seems that Opeth's writing songs moreso than riffs, while to me on the first two I get the impression it was the other way around.

I agree 100%! The older albums Do contain some great riffs/sections, but, overall, seem less to be songs than Opeth's later albums.

Well said!

As it stands, I really still DO enjoy "Orchid" & "Morningrise", but I feel that they pale in comparison to "BWP" & "Still Life"....and "MAYH".

Since still Life their song have been more coherent and whole than on Orchid and Morningrise. Someonew would say O and M are just bunch of sections put together. Nearly all of the riffs of the album could be on any other song of that particular album...
I agree with you there. Like someone pointed out "Black rose immortal" stops 4 or 5 times or something. To me it also seems like "Hey, I have this riff and I also have this and this riff" and they just smacked them all into one song to make it 20 minuttes long. The same with the rest of the songs on the two first albums.
I think the riffs on MAYH and BWP (haven't got SL) are better, the songs seem natural that are the lengths they are and the albums are overall simply better! Just my opinion! Everbody got different taste so there's no point in biting each other's heads off if another guy doesn't have the same opinion as you!
I think Opeth's albums has just gotten better and better as time has passed by. BWP is the only Opeth record I would call superb and is superior to everything else they have done. MAYH comes close to it, but is still a distance away.

Originally posted by Metalmaster
I don't understand that some of you people actually compare the *production* of "BWP" and "Morningrise".

A song like 'Advent' (or any other song from that disc) has more interesting ideas than the complete 'BWP' album together.

They are complaining about the production because that's all that could possible be wrong with MORNINGRISE!:D

Your Advent statement is how I feel also!:cool:

I hate it when people say the oldest stuff is the best just so they can complain about change and act like an "old school fan". It is completly obivious that all the albums after the first 2 are completely superior. On the first two. Worse singing, poor(no) song structure, poor recording, far less interesting riffs, so-so lyrics. I don't think Opeth truely started to delve into thier own sound until MAYH, and even then it wasn't untill still life that it matured. I like the first 2 albums but you must atmitt there inferiority. Even Mikael has commented several times about the poor song structure on the first two albums.

EXACTLY!!!
You rule :Smokedev:

Personally, I like how they started doing more diverse things with later albums. But complaining about singing and production and calling the first 2 clearly inferior (not as an opinion) is pretty stupid. I listen to them all about equally now.

Blackwater Park seemed a bit stagnant compared to Still Life. I think my arms your hearse is their benchmark, and with Deliverance they got extremely close. There's just a certain "feeling" on mayh that they'll never be able to reproduce, which I believe mikael said himself. Deliverance is really awesome though.

Originally posted by Morningrise
I think some of you should get past listening to Black Rose Immortal (which is a very poorly made track in my opinion) 20 times a day, and maybe actually listen to the later albums. I don't see how you can honestly say something like Advent having more interesting ideas than BWP. Please, do yourself a favor, and listen to the album.
:rolleyes: OK, I'm tired of being nice about this and trying to explain reasonably that this is all just opinions and really none of it matters, why can't people just accept everyone has a different favourite blah blah blah, and I'll say this:

Fucking grow up. Saying "listen to the recent albums" is utter fucking bullshit. I for one have listened to BWP many many times. There are many parts to it I like. However, I think it is decidedly average compared to Morningrise, or Orchid, or Mayh. THIS IS MY OPINION!! NOT ANYONE ELSES. MINE!! Fucking deal with it. If you disagree, great, that keeps life from being boring, but please realise that this is your fucking opinion, not mine, and if you can't deal with someone having a different opinion, and discuss it in a proper manner, then please shut the fuck up.
And people, get over Black Rose Immortal already. Everyone seems to hold that up as the only song on the album, and if it's floored then the album must be. No. And all these comments about "it could be 4 songs instead of 1"- let me ask this: if it actually WAS 4 different songs, would you like it? If the answer is yes, then what's the problem, just hit the pause button when a section ends, count to 5 then continue listening to it (ie pretend it actually is a new song). Simple.
I liked Opeth because of their complex guitar work, and vast unpredictable arrangements (I happen to like songs like BRI, but that's my personal taste), whereas it's fair to say many of the tracks on BWP and even SL are a little predictable, in that they have a more defined structure (recurring riffs, a chorus, etc...). This is not what drew me to the band, so therefore I like it less Whoopty fucking doo, my opinion again.

And this isn't just to pick on Morningrise (the person, not the album ;)), they just happened to make the post I quoted, this applies to all of you that are running around with your seemingly "BWP is far superior in every way, how the hell can anyone like Morningrise, you're stupid if you do" type attitude. Get over it.

[/rant]

You know I don't particularly like BRI either, and I don't have a problem with BWP, but all these people saying "It's so OBVIOUS" the first two , or latest three, are better....

Bullcrap, idiots. That is in the eye of the beholder. Opeth is a rare case in metal. It's hard to put a finger on the small amount of musical immaturities, unlike many bands where the first albums are great and the later ones blow or vice versa.

I don't hate Blackwater Park, but it's my least favorite Opeth album, with Still Life and Morningrise being my favorites. The only songs that truly stand out (IMO) on BWP are The Leper Affinity Bleak, The Drapery Falls, and the title track.

OK, I'm tired of being nice about this and trying to explain reasonably that this is all just opinions and really none of it matters, why can't people just accept everyone has a different favourite blah blah blah, and I'll say this:

Fucking grow up. Saying "listen to the recent albums" is utter fucking bullshit. I for one have listened to BWP many many times. There are many parts to it I like. However, I think it is decidedly average compared to Morningrise, or Orchid, or Mayh. THIS IS MY OPINION!! NOT ANYONE ELSES. MINE!! Fucking deal with it. If you disagree, great, that keeps life from being boring, but please realise that this is your fucking opinion, not mine, and if you can't deal with someone having a different opinion, and discuss it in a proper manner, then please shut the fuck up.
And people, get over Black Rose Immortal already. Everyone seems to hold that up as the only song on the album, and if it's floored then the album must be. No. And all these comments about "it could be 4 songs instead of 1"- let me ask this: if it actually WAS 4 different songs, would you like it? If the answer is yes, then what's the problem, just hit the pause button when a section ends, count to 5 then continue listening to it (ie pretend it actually is a new song). Simple.
I liked Opeth because of their complex guitar work, and vast unpredictable arrangements (I happen to like songs like BRI, but that's my personal taste), whereas it's fair to say many of the tracks on BWP and even SL are a little predictable, in that they have a more defined structure (recurring riffs, a chorus, etc...). This is not what drew me to the band, so therefore I like it less Whoopty fucking doo, my opinion again.

I actually agree with you, and I think signals got mixed up. I was directing my initial comment more at the people that are like
"Morningrise is THE best, nothing beats it" Basically doing everything that you said in that post. Actually about Black Rose Immortal being 4 different songs, I feel this, but I also feel the material is a little lacking compared to the rest of the album. Honestly I would love the album so much more if it DIDN'T have that track. So we agree on that aspect, just not which album is better ;)

Originally posted by yourdeadgroom

:lol: sorry, I have to laugh at that. You don't find 2 guitars doing different things yet still intertwining to be interesting? Man, the riffs make those albums. That probably explains why you d
And I laugh at your inabillity to recognize constant diatonic thirds when you hear them. :lol: If I play a silly little melody and harmonize it up a diatonic 3rd thats not a riff. Its a melody. Riffs are the sweet shit you hear on Leper Affinity, THATS WHAT I'M TALKIN BOUT!(spoken like the guy in the sam adams comercial)

Originally posted by Dreamlord
You completely described the latest three Opeth albums with this.
Oh yeah just liisten to Black rose immortal. Some great song structure with a good theme there.:rolleyes:

Ohh and those high yell/growls sound so much better then the new much richer and deeper growls for sure:rolleyes:

And the fuzzy guitars and trash can drum sounds? Exellent!:rolleyes:

Yeah, and I definatly like those lyrics that are just a jumble of words which you can only strangle a meaning out of with extream over analyzing :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Morningrise
I actually agree with you, and I think signals got mixed up. I was directing my initial comment more at the people that are like
"Morningrise is THE best, nothing beats it" Basically doing everything that you said in that post. Actually about Black Rose Immortal being 4 different songs, I feel this, but I also feel the material is a little lacking compared to the rest of the album. Honestly I would love the album so much more if it DIDN'T have that track. So we agree on that aspect, just not which album is better ;)
:bah: Typical, the one time I get agro, it's not even at the right person :bah:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

*walks off and sits quietly in the corner by himself*