Annoyed at Damnation

Cynical Bastard said:
I think what you and quite a few others were looking for in this album isn't anything like what the band intended or set out to produce. Obviously it's not as exciting or initially captivating as most of their previous music, but to me, they're trying to bring across a totally different vibe this time. And I mean that in the sense of the album as a whole...
Actually, no, I didn't set any specific aesthetic precedence at all. I set an ideological precedence for them to follow, but that's because arguably every Opeth release has moved along the lines of the ideological criterion of some kind of aesthetic dynamics, and then some kind of emotional dynamics--which is what separates them from the rest of the more straightforward stuff out there.
Of course there aren't any dramatic, "epic" songs on here. They weren't trying to make a record full of twists and turns, mind-blowing dynamics, tempo changes, and take you on any kind of rollercoaster of emotions, like on previous albums.
And in not repeating their concepts (even while still finding new ways to express them), they instead use the tried and true concepts of every band out there and put out something mediocre at best. What kind of logic is that, any way? Losing distinction and becoming mundane is somehow something novel?
Ever think maybe they weren't even trying to express the same or even a variety of emotions on this album?
No--I don’t think any band sets out to purposely put out bland music.
Maybe it's not your cup of tea, but I've had days where just about everything feels that way all day long... so I don't see it as being out of line for them to make less than 45 minutes of music to match those feelings. Sometimes variation isn't what fits the feel of the song as it's meant to be expressed.
Well, perhaps instead of Damnation, what you seem to be suggesting is that this album should have been called A Gay Day at the Office, in which this would certainly fit that mood. Such songs as "Windowpane Obstructed by My Cubicle: Life is Gay" surely rival the scale of their previous work.
I doubt the album is meant to amaze anyone with it's musical prowess and brilliant arrangements... instead, think of it as something to lull you into the kind of world the lyrics and mood of the songs create.
Indeed. One single mood...for 43 minutes. Yes, this incredibly new concept to Opeth--somberness--needs just that amount of time to be fully explored...again.
I just think it's funny that you complain that there's nothing upbeat, when this is, at least in my opinion, intended to be mood music...
Uh, yeah, because when they said “we’re going to do a soft album”, that incredibly vague concept must translate into “expect 43 minutes of self loathing.”

Yeah said:
Actually, no, I didn't set any specific aesthetic precedence at all. I set an ideological precedence for them to follow, but that's because arguably every Opeth release has moved along the lines of the ideological criterion of some kind of aesthetic dynamics, and then some kind of emotional dynamics--which is what separates them from the rest of the more straightforward stuff out there.

And in not repeating their concepts (even while still finding new ways to express them), they instead use the tried and true concepts of every band out there and put out something mediocre at best. What kind of logic is that, any way? Losing distinction and becoming mundane is somehow something novel?

No--I don’t think any band sets out to purposely put out bland music.

Well, perhaps instead of Damnation, what you seem to be suggesting is that this album should have been called A Gay Day at the Office, in which this would certainly fit that mood. Such songs as "Windowpane Obstructed by My Cubicle: Life is Gay" surely rival the scale of their previous work.

Indeed. One single mood...for 43 minutes. Yes, this incredibly new concept to Opeth--somberness--needs just that amount of time to be fully explored...again.

Uh, yeah, because when they said “we’re going to do a soft album”, that incredibly vague concept translates into “expect 43 minutes of self loathing.”

Shut up.

Sfarog said:
Well what do you know? You, my friend, are begginning to sail the waters of literacy. Congratulations!

Suprise us again, and say something smart.

Attempt at being witty and funny has failed. I suggest shutting the fuck up.

Sfarog said:
there you go! really happy for ya! :D

Glad I could make you happy, bud! I derive sexual pleasure from making people on this board happy! I'm gonna go jack off thinking about you now, K? Thx. Bye.

ok i love being off topic... but this is just idiotic.... if you dont like the god damn album dont buy it. nobody is gonna hold a gun to your head. so, lay off the childish flaming...

Ok, is it just me, or has everyone lost their fucking minds?

Damnation is one of the best albums I have ever heard in my life, exceeding every expectation I ever had of it.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm peeved that it's so short... but I'm a firm believer in quality over quantity, I'm glad the didn't fill it with shitty leftovers.

Top notch - every song is fucking brilliant... I would have to say this comes close to being their best album yet.

And yeah, all you guys be more constructive if you wanna critisize it, I'm sure Mikael would be slightly pissed off if he read this post.

Once more, I agree with the view 'Yeah' has. I still enjoy the album to some degree, but it will NEVER match their older works as far as I am concerned, because of all the reasons outlined above.

The album is just too mundane and boring to peak my interest for as long as the other albums have... however I can still tolerate and enjoy it to some extent.

Ditto Moonlapse...

Also, Damnation pisses me off because I used to able to say (and honestly mean) that I absolutely loved everything Opeth had done. I really do like Damnation but don't love it nor think it's up to Opeth standards. Oh well....

Also, I don't see why so many seem to be amazed and awed that Opeth did this album. *insert valley girl accent* "Like, omg, our old Opeth did THIS?! OMG!" I don't see why this makes you happy either. In my opinion, many bands could have pulled this album off. Many bands have this type of mood and style so why didn't Opeth just leave it to them?

Why are you happy that Opeth changed into something you could easily get somewhere else?

And really, does nobody hear the Wilson worship? I swear he's going to be the Yoko Ono of this band.... :)

OMG I love this fucking album.

Man, this beats any Porcupine Tree man...PT make great music, but Damnation is soo damn emotional and cool...fuck, the whole vibe of this album, completely unlike Porcupine Tree at all. Porcupine is depressing and such, however they have a much more 'rock' feel. Damnation is subdued almost throughout, it has the vibe of Opeth acoustic songs plus a prog 'touch'. The mellotrons, synth choirs, and effects used on Damnation certainly have a few relations to PT music, however, the entire vibe is much more natural, 'etheral' almost, plus the way in which the effects are used is completely damned different. The mellotrons used on Damnation give it an almost 'old' feel...a King Crimsonish vibe that reminds me of the song Epitaph. PT are much more rock than Damnation...you can honestly tell me you can hear similarities between D2 songs and PT songs like The Sound Of Muzak, Wedding Nails, Four Chords That Made A Million, Hatesong, etc, etc.

The vibe of PT is COMPLETELY different from that of Damnation. Damnation feels much more natural, and Opeth-ish...PT don't do finger picking in the same style as the Opeth fellows either...plus the nature of the themes and lyrics of PT and Opeth are completely different as well.

There is an obvious PT influence on Damnation. However, this influence extends only to some of the uses of special effects...and it is only that, an influence. To call this 'Wilson worship' is to me, retarted...you ar entitled to your opinion though.

*ends rambling for now*

BTW...I have recently decided I am now officially a 'fanboy' of Opeth again. Its been a while...

No way your not getting out that easy!

I'm confident that even though Damnation is the best thing since sliced bread, the upcoming new Motw album will be somewhat akin to an absolute orgasm of intense proportions.

;)

:D

Where to even begin with some of you? Well, first of all...i dont recall the band ever claiming this was going to be some extravagent prog album, with totally new ideas, and to be something so off the charts from what theyve done before. All i recall is them saying it will be mellow, include some new elements (some proggy) for opeth, and a few other details. I think the album is quite good (for any band), and is progressive because of certain elements in the music and because its an album format in which opeth has never done before...which is what makes a progressive band ACTUALLY PROGRESSIVE by most peoples definition (if they have a clue?) i'd say. Those of you who have a stick up your ass, can just take a hike, because its no skin off your back anyway...you downloaded the album for free, and now are bitching about it...thats pathetic. I dont feel this album was below Opeth's potential whatsoever, i think youre just wanting them to be completely restricted in the albums which they make. To me, this album sounds like King Crimson meets Camel, with some porcupine tree type stuff, with the signature opeth sound and vibe...and therefore, i couldnt be happier with it. The rest of you can eat my ass if you dont like it. Mellotrons, all clean guitars, in depth production, good clean vocals? I think i could get used to a band actually doing the 70s thing well (not like the flower kings, and other bands which fall short for me). Shine on Opeth...keep up the good work. :)