Any Christian Opeth fans????

ControlledChaos said:
:tickled:
Wrong. God created man as perfect and without sin, and it says God created man for fellowship with God. However, God basically (my paraphrase) didn't want a robot who would do exactly as he asked all the time, he wanted someone who would follow him through their own free will. So (here comes the review kids) he tells Adam and Eve, "You can have every frickin' thing in this garden, EVERY THING, except that one tree over there." God gave man free will to choose his own path, and once Adam and Eve ate the fruit of that tree (tree of the knowledge of good and evil) suddenly they knew what sin was and that's what started the whole thing.

God didn't try to "save" anyone by drowning them. It says that he sent the flood because basically all of mankind (albeit Noah and family) were incredibly wicked and basically beyond help, whereas Noah was righteous. (That doesn't mean he was sinless it means he followed God basically).

What he said.

Why would God want "someone who would follow him through their own free will"? Was God bored of the perfect human and just wanted a bit of fun? I don't understand the logic here.

There's only one thing to blame if mankind was so incredibly wicked and beyond help: God. Seeing as he created everything and everyone, right? He really isn't so perfect if he flooded mankind because he made a cock-up of it.

religion makes me want to shit

c602a6245cc5d2769dbb3a7bb805701e.jpg

its the most archaic and dangerous thing the human race ever conceived of, isnt it blatently obvious its a means of control?, do well, you go to heaven, do bad, you go to hell and burn, not only is it a means of control but you adopt it out of a conscious decision. It completely lacks logic, its as though the human race wants to be caged up and watched 24 hours a day. Islam is the worst, i've heard of some muslims dieing of starvation because they wont eat pork because its dirty to Allah....fucking rediculous, screw all you religious zealots, if there was a god, he would be a god of logic and therefore you would all burn in hell anyway.

LuminousAether said:
Ok, I'm going to quote Dimmu Borgir now:

The heavenly father is stretching his hand
Pathetically begging for mercy
We spit and piss on his sacred flesh
As we breathe in the breath of the unholy

So...

Basically...

If you think you are a christian, and you listen to that band, you are going to Hell by the tenants of your own faith. It specifically mentions in the Bible, the word of your God, that in all things you must praise god. So, all the music you listen to must praise god, and Dimmu Borgir blasphemes god. You are not a christian, but are instead mislead. I'll see you in Hell.

The expert speaks again.

I appreciate those who understand what i'm saying (such as Anarkissed). I don't appreciate people telling me how I should practice my personal faith. I don't let other christians do it, and I won't let non-christians do it. Thank you to those who understand where I'm coming from, and, to those who aren't, I don't understand why you judge me even though I'm not judging you.

Post_Scriptum said:
lol... im christian, i enjoy listening to Opeth, Emperor, etc... im not going to hell though
you guys cannot understand

What I really dont understand (apart from the inconsistencies and contradictions in the New Testament!) is how anyone can enjoy listening to Emperor? They fucking suck IMO.

I'm a muslim, and I love most metal no matter the ideology cause those stuff just seem like fairy tales to me. It's the same with christianity, people changed it too much that it's nothing like its original form. Islam's view for christianity is that Jesus was a prophet of god not his son, because god is not born and does not bear children, he's only one and eternal, not a creature that multiplies. It's the same for Moses and other prophets, they're all sacred in Islam but Islam is the most complete and perfect religion since it's the last one and the others are twisted and manipulated by people too much. And no one but god could tell who is going where when we die, there's no priesthood in Islam, only god can judge you for your actions. For example there's this story about two women, one of them was a woman who always did her prayers but was mean and didn't care about other people, and the other was a prostitute. The first woman went to hell, and the prostitute went to heaven because she had given food to a starving dog and saved it from dying. I hate countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia and other shit like that because they make the religion seem like a monster when it's actually a very beautiful and peaceful religion. I recommend you read the Qoran if you're interested, you'll see it's nothing like the media make it seem.

TakinTheMusicBack said:
What I really dont understand (apart from the inconsistencies and contradictions in the New Testament!) is how anyone can enjoy listening to Emperor? They fucking suck IMO.

Elaborate. In what way do they suck?

Interesti said:
Elaborate. In what way do they suck?

I just don't like black metal in general. What I've heard from Emperor has had really dire production with laughable vocals and barely audible guitars.
I can listen to Dissection as they seem to have decent production and some good fat riffs, but Emperor, COF, Darkthrone etc all seem to have really thin guitars and terrible screechy singing (and shitty keyboards)

Still, it's just my opinion! I've tried listening to black metal but just cant get it :err:

Interesti said:
Why would God want "someone who would follow him through their own free will"? Was God bored of the perfect human and just wanted a bit of fun? I don't understand the logic here.

There's only one thing to blame if mankind was so incredibly wicked and beyond help: God. Seeing as he created everything and everyone, right? He really isn't so perfect if he flooded mankind because he made a cock-up of it.
You're obviously a thick-headed specimen. About the second paragraph, I just explained. God created man without a sin nature, man gave the sin nature to himself because he had the chance to choose.

In answer to "why would God want someone to follow him through their own free will?"...If you could would you force your girlfriend or wife without fail to love you? I would think that knowing you are making her do it would take away any sort of real appreciation, any sort of real love. You would not have a friendship or affection with her, you would simply have a little robot that does what you want and mouths emotionless words. I'd like to suggest that this is precisely the same.

EDIT: removed insults because this should be a discussion not a flame-war and I have no beefs with anyone....
What is the plural of "beef" anyway? :err:

TakinTheMusicBack said:
I just don't like black metal in general. What I've heard from Emperor has had really dire production with laughable vocals and barely audible guitars.
I can listen to Dissection as they seem to have decent production and some good fat riffs, but Emperor, COF, Darkthrone etc all seem to have really thin guitars and terrible screechy singing (and shitty keyboards)

Still, it's just my opinion! I've tried listening to black metal but just cant get it :err:

holy cow.....

I didn't think it was possible to feel that way ;)

o_O

p.s. of course COF is another issue....

most emperor sounds 100000x better then dissection production wise....

" I don't understand why you judge me even though I'm not judging you."

Oh would that be nice. Let me clue that person above onto something, it is human nature to judge, it is necessary to judge and it is cowardly NOT to judge. You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to me, and we are both entitled to prove the other person WRONG. I am entitled to say your religious beliefs are a load of crap and your god is nothing but another element of control for your weak pathetic little life.

Now would I really say that? no and don't take it so harshly. I don't want christians trying to convert me and I try to leave those alone who leave me alone. But the point is we all judge, christians do it more then anyone else.

I'm not trying to convert anyone. If I were judgemental of others beliefs, I wouldn't be listening to half of the music I do listen to. I was merely trying to find out if there are other christians who like the same bands I like, and, from some of the posts, it seems that there are.

benjikong said:
I appreciate those who understand what i'm saying (such as Anarkissed). I don't appreciate people telling me how I should practice my personal faith. I don't let other christians do it, and I won't let non-christians do it. Thank you to those who understand where I'm coming from, and, to those who aren't, I don't understand why you judge me even though I'm not judging you.
In other words you're not a "Christian". You're making up a new religion which suits you, and calling it Christianity.

That might be overly harsh, but the fact that so many people just invent rules for themselves weakens the unity and cohesiveness of the faith. In the bible Isaac (I think it's Isaac) is punished by God for worshipping false idols. If you have a deep relationship with music, then it is a form of support/worship/ritual/faith. This gives it a huge affiliation to religion.

So to put it bluntly: Do you think that the God you read about in the bible is going to want you to listen to Burzum?

A bit more on topic, listening to Opeth as a Christian isn't nearly as hypocritical as listening to many other bands in the genre.

(edit: Thought I should mention that I'm not religious.)