Any Doom Heads?

I like some Doom stuff.
of course My Dying Bride are a reference, but there are other good bands, like Anathema (from Serenades to Silent Enigma - all the rest sucks!), Cathedral, Saturnus, October Tide, Tiamat, Novembre, Shape of Despair, Mourning Beloveth, etc.

And there are two good portuguese bands in Doom scene - Before the Rain and Sculpture - have you ever heard about it???

(Desire are portuguese as well, but I really don't like it...)

Black Sabbath, Pentagram, Revelation, Pagan Altar, Count Raven, Solstice, Warning, Saint Vitus, Candlemass, While Heaven Wept, Solitude Aeturnus, Well of Souls, Orodruin, Place of Skulls, The Gates of Slumber, Rev. Bizarre, Mirror of Deception, Pale Divine, Internal Void, Semlah, Forlorn/Isole, The Obsessed, Scald, Ogre...

So many to name.

cookiecutter said:
Incantation has some slower parts and everything I've read has them down as death metal with doom influences.

Not straight doom or even fullfledged death doom, but still there is definetly doom influence.
Yeah, I can definitely see how someone can view Incantation as death metal with doom-ish parts. Although, a band like Cyanide would be an even better example of this.

the first cianide was pretty much death-doom

another band that's generally considered death but often borders on death-doom = asphyx

Life Sucks said:
as of late, my favs have been:

Mourning Beloveth
October Tide
Katatonia (first two albums)
Daylight Dies
Desire
Thergothon
Disembowelment
My Dying Bride
Bethlehem (Dark Metal can definitely be labeled doom)
Officium Triste
Despond

Check out Katatonia 'sounds of decay'. It's only a 3 song e.p, but is very impressive. Mikael from opeth is still on vocals. The music is a tad bit heavier than brave murder day.

btw older mourning beloveth is very great. I was not impressed with a murderous circle.

The Greys said:
Check out Katatonia 'sounds of decay'. It's only a 3 song e.p, but is very impressive. Mikael from opeth is still on vocals. The music is a tad bit heavier than brave murder day.

btw older mourning beloveth is very great. I was not impressed with a murderous circle.
I'll check out that EP. That's probably the last of their works I would like, since as we all know, there was a point at which Katatonia went to shit and never turned back.

CAIRATH said:
I didn't get that memo.
Well, a lot of us who like just metal do not like their stuff in the vein of Last Fair Deal Gone Down and Viva Emptiness. It's definitely a matter of taste, but their non-metal material is certainly not as well liked in the metal community as their first two albums are.

Perhaps. There still are a lot of people here who do like the new stuff though, so 'as we all know' is a bit of an exageration.

Onto a different subject, what are some good funeral doom bands? The genre intrigues me but when I look for funeral doom bands on MA I mostly seem to find bands that are insanely obscure and have only released a bunch of demos.

So what are some must-have funeral doom bands?

CAIRATH said:
Perhaps. There still are a lot of people here who do like the new stuff though, so 'as we all know' is a bit of an exageration.

Onto a different subject, what are some good funeral doom bands? The genre intrigues me but when I look for funeral doom bands on MA I mostly seem to find bands that are insanely obscure and have only released a bunch of demos.

So what are some must-have funeral doom bands?
Funeral doom is kind of a vague term. Sometimes the line between regular doomdeath and funeral doom is blurred. Some good bands that are definitely funeral doom are:

Esoteric
Thergothon
Despond
Shape of Despair
Wreck of the Hesperus
Nortt
Worship
Skepticism
Mournful Congregation

When it comes to Doom I listen mainly to My Dying Bride, Celestial Season and Tristania.

Did any of you miss me? I have to say, after being on top of Mount Etna, this board isn't as exciting anymore. I still love you guys though.

Susperia said:
When it comes to Doom I listen mainly to My Dying Bride, Celestial Season and Tristania.

Did any of you miss me? I have to say, after being on top of Mount Etna, this board isn't as exciting anymore. I still love you guys though.

Kinda hard not to notice when the poster with a pink haired girl in her avatar stops posting for a week! But seriously, you still love us? Why? What's wrong with you?! :zombie:

Sorry, I was working / sleeping all weekend, so I haven't had time to grace you with my genius/ boring rhethoric.

DOOM is my favourite sub-genre of metal. I can't say why, but I find that most of "most loved" bands are doom bands, and a lot of the others either have been inlfluenced by doom, or have had at least one doom inflected release.

My top 5 doom albums of all time:

1. Pentagram - Relentless
2. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
3. Candlemass - Doomed for Live
4. Cathedral - Carnival Bizarre
5. Mourn - Mourn

not-quite true doom top 5 (inc. not-doom at all but with hints-of-doom)

1. Shades of God - Paradise Lost
2. ...For Victory - Bolt Thrower
3. Requiem of the Apocolypse - Runemagick
4. The Silent Enigma - Anathema
5. Revirgin - Korpse

I agree with original poster on drone doom though - far too dull for me to listen to.

Susperia said:

Mount Etna is nothing. Being on top of some of these posters is more exciting.

EDIT: I don't mean me:oops:

Carcassian said:
Sorry, I was working / sleeping all weekend, so I haven't had time to grace you with my genius/ boring rhethoric.

DOOM is my favourite sub-genre of metal. I can't say why, but I find that most of "most loved" bands are doom bands, and a lot of the others either have been inlfluenced by doom, or have had at least one doom inflected release.

My top 5 doom albums of all time:

1. Pentagram - Relentless
2. Witchfinder General - Death Penalty
3. Candlemass - Doomed for Live
4. Cathedral - Carnival Bizarre
5. Mourn - Mourn

not-quite true doom top 5 (inc. not-doom at all but with hints-of-doom)

1. Shades of God - Paradise Lost
2. ...For Victory - Bolt Thrower
3. Requiem of the Apocolypse - Runemagick
4. The Silent Enigma - Anathema
5. Revirgin - Korpse

I agree with original poster on drone doom though - far too dull for me to listen to.

witchfinder general is not doom
The Melvins album called Lysol was ok their only Doom album I believe