Any Doom Heads?

I'm only familiar with the latest tristinia which has some doomy elements. The Wretched reminds me of doom. It's kinda like old amorphis in a sense, you would not call it doom, but elements are there. Tristania is just more on the lines of being progressive.

While I enjoy Orange Goblin, I think you'd have to conceed that they're pretty stoner (at least in their earliest incarnations), though nowdays I'd place them closer to the Motorhead sound (which isn't a bad thing).

Doom purists will clearly shout at me for this, but the first Iron Monkey album, Electric Wizard and the Thee Plague of Gentlemen demos and first CD also "float my boat" quite severely.

Most "doom" Sabbath song? I think they've got several - maybe for the "pure" doom sound, something like "Black Sabbath" or "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath", while for that epic, Candlemass / Solstice approach, something like "heaven and hell" would be a clear prototype (great SA cover, too)

IOfTheStorm said:
I just think that the term "Stoner" is retarded and it doesn't really mean anything.
How are the TPOG demos different from "Primula Pestis"? That album is a monster.

Depends on the demo mate - probably best is the original "Motown Misfortune" demo - with less refined, more brutal renditions of many of the tracks on Pestula. "As cold as they come" sounds utterly, utterly brutal as hell.

I've got about 4 versions of "The Ocean has no sides" too.

The new material for the 7" releases sound great as well, coming on nicely - a few more trad metal influences spreading in, but still uber-doom.

Upsidedown Cross probably falls more into the Doom catagory than any other type of metal.slower songs with alot of feedback but the vocals are kind of a whiney yell...i have all their shit...great band

evil miscreant said:
Upsidedown Cross probably falls more into the Doom catagory than any other type of metal.slower songs with alot of feedback but the vocals are kind of a whiney yell...i have all their shit...great band

Upsidedown Cross kicks ass

The Greys said:
I'm only familiar with the latest tristinia which has some doomy elements. The Wretched reminds me of doom. It's kinda like old amorphis in a sense, you would not call it doom, but elements are there. Tristania is just more on the lines of being progressive.

Oh, I may have to check it out. I just know that their first two albums were Gothic metal through and through.

warriorfemme said:
I like doom I love Candlemass.. But also I love bands like Doomsword(doom/epic).

Give this man (err female?) a hug. Welcome to the forum man. This place needs more people who enjoy good music.

:saint:

EDIT: just saw you're a fem. welcome bra! ;)

Does anyone here listen to Black Forest?

If not they are a great band from Russia, really somber and depressing but amazing none-the-less. Very atmospheric.

The Greys said:
no, it's gothic girly shit metal that has nothing to do with doom, nor being "progressive"

Erik said:
no, it's gothic girly shit metal that has nothing to do with doom, nor being "progressive"
Eh, I figured are much. Everything after their first two albums were horrible, I quite enjoy their early releases though. Widow's Weeds is rather good.

I did not say it was doom, said there are doomy elements. A lot of music has doomy elements.

Susperia mentioned them in the doom thread. I just stated there are some doomy elements in what I have heard instead of going THEY'RE NOT DOOM FUCK YOU BAAHH FUCK aarggg LOOK AT ME I'M A DOOM PURIST.

I was not saying check out Tristania if you like doom metal. A few parts had some doomy feeling imo. I'm not discussing this any further.

... and yes I do listen to real doom and know what is it. I should have just waited for someone to say TRISTANIA IS SHIT ARR FUCK YOU I'M A PIRATE!

Somone better talk about Evoken -embrace the emptiness now.

Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metalicus
November's Doom - Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers
My Dying Bride - Turn Loose The Swans
Reverend Bizarre - In The Rectory Of The Bizarre Reverend
Cathedral - The Garden Of Unearthly Delights