Any Doom Heads?

I much prefer Traditional Doom and Death Doom over Funeral Doom...but the little Thergothon I've heard was decent.

I never really thought i liked doom until the first time i heard Esoteric. I'd even bought Turn Loose The Swans yeeears ago, but i couldn't seem to get into it. I'm usually most interested in extremes, which is probably why. I lose interest in middle ground things.

Crap like that is more a novelty for me. I'll listen to it every now and then, but it's boring under frequent listens.

Funeral Doom like Thergothon, yeah, but I can listen to Saint Vitus, Pentagram, etc. any time. Which is probably why I prefer it. I generally don't like when I have to be in a certain mood or state to enjoy something.

i think you are my polar opposite :) For the last 2 or 3 years my biggest interest has been music designed for certain environments/frames of mind. Music like that affects me in a very different way than music good for "anytime", because it intrinsically requires certain aspects to be counterproductive to what is required for music to be good anytime. What i mean is, i feel that there are too many limits that must be placed on music for it to be good anytime to the point that is it near impossible for a singular profound effect. For example, you can't explore the feeling of being lonesome properly when you are driving in your car to work, or partying with friends. You can't experience musical terror when you're eating at mcdonalds in the middle of the day. These feelings require a specific kind of music which is only good for specific environments, moods, and times of day.

Mumblefood said:
i think you are my polar opposite :) For the last 2 or 3 years my biggest interest has been music designed for certain environments/frames of mind. Music like that affects me in a very different way than music good for "anytime", because it intrinsically requires certain aspects to be counterproductive to what is required for music to be good anytime. What i mean is, i feel that there are too many limits that must be placed on music for it to be good anytime to the point that is it near impossible for a singular profound effect. For example, you can't explore the feeling of being lonesome properly when you are driving in your car to work, or partying with friends. You can't experience musical terror when you're eating at mcdonalds in the middle of the day. These feelings require a specific kind of music which is only good for specific environments, moods, and times of day.

huh

music good for any time loses to an extent the capability of producing very specific and powerful emotions. By the same token, music specifically designed for one and only one emotion, which does so in a very specific way, is only good at certain times, but the potency tends to spike.

I sort of get what he is saying, in the sense that you can only really get the full effect of Woods of Ypres's album during a hot scorching summer day, or how Agalloch's The Mantle can only be fully experienced during a quiet, gloomy, grey day.

I actually agree with him on it to an extent, but I won't let the conditions on which the atmosphere is most strong prevent me from enjoying the music and general atmosphere it creates whenever I choose to.

Paradise Lost's release Lost Paradise is much heavier and Doom-Laden than Gothic was by a long-shot.Noone seems to be mentioning SUNN O))) i like their album black one and have yet to buy their first two albums

What's with the fascination of being clear-cut on blurred genres? I think 1/3 of the posts in this thread are people saying "that's not doom". That isn't a very interesting topic of discussion.

I like Sunn O))), my favorite album is probably the latest as well. Bathory Erzsebet scared the shit out of me the first time i heard it hehe

Because too many different discussions happen that way, and it's annoying. Drone Doom like Sunn O))) is a huge separation from the rest of the subgenres of Doom.

Not really. Sunn is pretty doomy when compared to a lot of other "drone" music (hence being "drone doom")...they also do have riffs.