Any Doom Heads?

evil miscreant said:
witchfinder general is not doom
The Melvins album called Lysol was ok their only Doom album I believe

Don't bore me with your tiresome assertion that they were NWOBHM.

Thanks for your co-operation.

I would not call them "doom metal" either. They had their doom moments of course.
Anyway my Doomed top 5+1:

Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow
Candlemass - Nightfall
Trouble - Psalm 9 ( or "The Skull" tough to decide)
Count Raven - Destruction Of The Void
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
Pentagram - Day Of Reckoning

IOfTheStorm said:
I would not call them "doom metal" either. They had their doom moments of course.
Anyway my Doomed top 5+1:

Solitude Aeturnus - Into The Depths Of Sorrow
Candlemass - Nightfall
Trouble - Psalm 9 ( or "The Skull" tough to decide)
Count Raven - Destruction Of The Void
Cathedral - The Ethereal Mirror
Pentagram - Day Of Reckoning

Psalm 9, easily.

Why WG not doom ? They have all the elements of doom required for me.

EDIT: Sources - http://www.bnrmetal.com/groups/wige.htm

http://www.rockdetector.com/artist,10079.sm

http://www.metal-archives.com/ (witchfinder general)

www.doom-metal.com (reviews - witchfinder general "Being described as a NWOBHM band, mainly because they came up in early 80's in Britain, this band was featured on those classic NWOBHM compilations. But now Witchfinder General stands for something else. They are a cult band that is bonded with the creation of the doom-metal genre among with other classic US bands like St. Vitus or Pentagram."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witchfinder_General_(band)

Now, i don't claim that these sources are particularly weighty, but I honestly can't see how you fail to see WG as doom. I'm interested as to why, not entering into a long flame war.

Let's just say that if the archetypical doom metal bands focused on the darker and heavier side of Black Sabbath's music, Witchfinder General liked the groovy and "rocking" side more. As i told before, W.G. had some doom moments, but overall their music was just heavy metal (NWOBHM) with some slower parts, the DOOM feeling that is instantly recognized when you listen to Trouble or St. Vitus is mostly absent from the W.G. music.
EDIT: Their impact on the Doom Metal world is that big, mainly because they were the only NWOBHM band that was praising so much the B.S. music. So basically that makes them the first metal band (when Pentagram have not released an album yet) that did what most doom/heavy rock bands do from their time and on : Blindly worshiping B.S. to a huge extent.

IOfTheStorm said:
Let's just say that if the archetypical doom metal bands focused on the darker and heavier side of Black Sabbath's music, Witchfinder General liked the groovy and "rocking" side more. As i told before, W.G. had some doom moments, but overall their music was just heavy metal (NWOBHM) with some slower parts, the DOOM feeling that is instantly recognized when you listen to Trouble or St. Vitus is mostly absent from the W.G. music.
EDIT: Their impact on the Doom Metal world is that big, mainly because they were the only NWOBHM band that was praising so much the B.S. music. So basically that makes them the first metal band that did what most doom/heavy rock bands do from their time and on : Blindly worshiping B.S. to a huge extent.

I disagree with your first part, although some of the WG lyrics were fairly light hearted and silly - there were also plenty of dark moments and dirge-like sections among the proto-Cathedral groove sections.

Anyway, no point in arguing it - you won't change your mind, nor will I change mine! I get the same DOOM feeling from WG that I get from Pentagram or Trouble. Thanks for explaining yourself anyway. Not to worry, you're allowed to hold opinions contrary to mine as long as they aren't fucking stupid. :lol: :kickass:

I really like their Death Penalty album.I just didn't find it very Heavy at all,mostly upbeat tempo's,and their Lyrical content seemed to be more of an upper to me.I do respect them as a Rockin' Metal Band though definitely.

I've always looked at the band (Witchfinder General) as an amalgamation of both genres.

I'm a Doom fan....Candlemass, Evoken, Grief, Trouble, Mourning Beloveth, My Dying Bride, Shape Of Despair, Solitude Aeturnus, Shroud Of Bereavement, Slumber, Earth, Soulpreacher....love the dark, sad stuff the best over the Stoner type Doom...

I have a question: what particular Black Sabbath songs are the definitive doom metal songs?

If I had to guess, off the top of my head, 'Under the Sun' and 'Black Sabbath'.

...but what about 'A National Acrobat'? 'Tomorrows Dream'? 'Meglomania'? 'Snowblind'? Any of these difinitive doom metal songs? What are some others?

And yes, I'm a doom-head. Though I think I'm stuck in the 90's, as far as doom metal goes.

speaking of Doom, I got the Relapse Records reissue of the first diSEMBOWELMENT CD yesterday. it kicks ass.

Sleep had an album called Jerusalem that was a one hour song.It was alright but like their name it did sorta put me to sleep.I think you have to be on Opium to truly appreciate it....lol

Susperia said:
When it comes to Doom I listen mainly to My Dying Bride, Celestial Season and Tristania.

Did any of you miss me? I have to say, after being on top of Mount Etna, this board isn't as exciting anymore. I still love you guys though.

What would be the best celestial season to start with ?

Wait, Tristania are doom? Unless they majorly changed their style after their first two albums, I can't see them being called doom.

I like the following:

Acid Bath, Black Forest, Black Sabbath, Candlemass, Krux, Novembers Doom, Novembre (while not pure doom, they are an amazing band), Reverend Bizarre, Saturnus, Silent Stream of Godless Elegy, St. Vitus, and Thorr's Hammer.

I'm imagining they're including everything from Sleep and Orange Goblin to Saint Vitus, Place Of Skulls and Reverend Bizarre...

Gaouh, easy with these, you're gonna make me choke.. St. Vitus, Place Of Skulls ,Reverend Bizarre and "stoner" in the same sentence? What the fuck makes all these "stoner".. (what the fuck makes anything "stoner" would be the right question but anyway)