Anyone else as manic with music as i am?

Jun 2, 2005
Not too happy about it, but sometimes i just can't find the will and creativity to actually start writing songs and music, or keep writing.. and then i just stop writing and stop thinking about music for days, weeks, if not months... not keeping up with the latest and completely out of the loop.

I then realize that i really need to try it again quickly before i go all out and never look back at music and just move on with the rest of my life without music and writing it.. lol.
I love it to death, but really.. sometimes i get so sick and fed up with it i can just do without it for months and never look back.. scary though! as i really do want to continue with it.

Anyone else have this as well?

I hate music for a bit then I love it then I hate etc etc.

Sometimes I go for weeks without playing. Then I'll just randomly play one day.

Right now I get like zero enjoyment out of writing because I got too much shit to deal with where I can't focus on fucking riffz and arpeggios and shit.

That's prolly why I get offers to play in bands but just trun them down/.

I had a point when I made my emo thread here at the forum where I was trying to figure out if music is worth doing or if I should just focus on the normal life and go the average joe way, but I did get over that and now I realize I can't be without music 100%. My goals of becoming an extreme drummer have been toned down though (mainly because I was practising like a maniac for months but didn't see any results), but I find this combination of playing drums and guitar, while writing own material is really fun.

However, lately I have had a really hard time to write anything. I get the usual ideas in my head and I record them on to my cellphone and stuff but I can never pick them together and make a song... I always trail off and start on new songs. If not, I usually get stuck in tweaking the guitar sound or some shit like that.

I also do 3D graphics and stuff but man... my interest in that just went slope down after the first year at uni so I know what it feels like to not being up to date with something you love (or think you love). But now I just don't care really... I'll have to take things as they come, life is too short to just think about instead of actually living it.

I don't know what it will take for you to pick it up 100% again. Question is, do you need to go all out on music? When are you satisfied with music? Do you need to release an album or more to feel satisfied? Do you want to play in a band but you don't have a band? Maybe trying to figure out why you are in the music business would help a bit on the way. The most important thing is ... well, not to sound gay but it's you. You've gotta feel happy with your situation and if you in the end realize that music is just fucking you up then I guess it's time to pick another path.

Guess it's just like love :)

(I hope I didn't discourage you in any way with my post, it was meant as a positive post)

I had a point when I made my emo thread here at the forum where I was trying to figure out if music is worth doing or if I should just focus on the normal life and go the average joe way, but I did get over that and now I realize I can't be without music 100%. My goals of becoming an extreme drummer have been toned down though (mainly because I was practising like a maniac for months but didn't see any results), but I find this combination of playing drums and guitar, while writing own material is really fun.

However, lately I have had a really hard time to write anything. I get the usual ideas in my head and I record them on to my cellphone and stuff but I can never pick them together and make a song... I always trail off and start on new songs. If not, I usually get stuck in tweaking the guitar sound or some shit like that.

I also do 3D graphics and stuff but man... my interest in that just went slope down after the first year at uni so I know what it feels like to not being up to date with something you love (or think you love). But now I just don't care really... I'll have to take things as they come, life is too short to just think about instead of actually living it.

I don't know what it will take for you to pick it up 100% again. Question is, do you need to go all out on music? When are you satisfied with music? Do you need to release an album or more to feel satisfied? Do you want to play in a band but you don't have a band? Maybe trying to figure out why you are in the music business would help a bit on the way. The most important thing is ... well, not to sound gay but it's you. You've gotta feel happy with your situation and if you in the end realize that music is just fucking you up then I guess it's time to pick another path.

Guess it's just like love :)

(I hope I didn't discourage you in any way with my post, it was meant as a positive post)

That's just the thing gojira, it's so black and white at the moment.. it's either 100% dedication for me, you know..working all night writing shit, going to bed at 5 o clock in the morning, sleep 4 hours just to wake up to start writing again and continue down this path for a week or so and be done with a song... week rest, and pick up the routine again for the next one.

Lately it's just been different.. no work flow anymore, i think i stopped writing for a good month or two now which is quite unusual for me... and there is no need for it either it seems, where i normally watch a great movie and quickly rush to the PC to start writing some rough ideas, that is not even happening anymore... inspiration seems to be gone too long, and the latest music in the metal scene is not helping either.

See, the thing im worried about is that it will end up like being a phase in your life and nothing more.. remember when you wore spandex when you lived in the 80's? when you listened to winger and though that was okay? yes offcourse you do! :lol: looking back at it it was just a phase.. right?

wait, a better example:

Remember that friend you had at junior school, that very, very close friend you hung out with every day and then we you both were seperated for high school, you promised each other never to leave the friendship and be best buddies for the rest of your life, just to completely forget about him a few months into highschool because you have other shit to think of? well.. like that. :p

I dont know, it's probably completely normal perhaps.. but i just notice a slow decrease of material being written the last few weeks, no inspiration and no need to start anything either.. weird, kind of freaks me out.

Music fills every single minute in my live (I'm even going to bed with an ipod playing the latest roughmix every night....my trusted AKG 240....pains me that I can't sleep on the side anymore because of those headphones, lol)). I'm never fully happy with a mix so I'm working every possible minute till the deadline, and just after that the next band is coming and it starts over again.
I'm lucky for having such an understanding fiancee

might be healthy to walk away for a bit and come back fresh when you are inspired or feel like recording cause you want to...not because you feel pressured into it. I don't play my guitar for weeks at a time but sometimes when I pick it up...new ideas start to flow.

That's just the thing gojira, it's so black and white at the moment.. it's either 100% dedication for me, you know..working all night writing shit, going to bed at 5 o clock in the morning, sleep 4 hours just to wake up to start writing again and continue down this path for a week or so and be done with a song... week rest, and pick up the routine again for the next one.

Lately it's just been different.. no work flow anymore, i think i stopped writing for a good month or two now which is quite unusual for me... and there is no need for it either it seems, where i normally watch a great movie and quickly rush to the PC to start writing some rough ideas, that is not even happening anymore... inspiration seems to be gone too long, and the latest music in the metal scene is not helping either.

See, the thing im worried about is that it will end up like being a phase in your life and nothing more.. remember when you wore spandex when you lived in the 80's? when you listened to winger and though that was okay? yes offcourse you do! :lol: looking back at it it was just a phase.. right?

wait, a better example:

Remember that friend you had at junior school, that very, very close friend you hung out with every day and then we you both were seperated for high school, you promised each other never to leave the friendship and be best buddies for the rest of your life, just to completely forget about him a few months into highschool because you have other shit to think of? well.. like that. :p

I dont know, it's probably completely normal perhaps.. but i just notice a slow decrease of material being written the last few weeks, no inspiration and no need to start anything either.. weird, kind of freaks me out.

Hmm and maybe that's exactly why this happened? Because you worked the shit out of your "musical brain" and you're pretty much burned out when it comes to music? I remember when Devin Townsend announced that he was officially tired of music and most things, he had burnt himself out, the touring, the interviews, everything had torn him to pieces. Look at the man now, he's coming back with a new album, doing it in his own pace, his own style, and I'm looking forward to it almost as much as a night full of sex with Kristin Kreuk (if that would ever happen).

But so what if it becomes "just a phase" in your life? It probably means you haven't discovered your true art form yet. You shouldn't be afraid of changes... they should be afraid of you :) I was also afraid of changes a couple years ago... I think completely different now.

Do you play in a band? Maybe all you need is a carrot on a stick :)

Yeah I'm working on mixes almost all of the time, too. As far as writing goes, however, It's a different story. When my first band broke up a few years ago I kept recording all kinds of ideas and it was cool because I was not limited to any particular genre. Then I really wanted to play with a drummer because it helps me come up with stuff. I couldn't find one but anyway now I really missed playing on stage and the whole feeling you get before a gig. A few months ago a band asked me to join them and I accepted and we've done 3 gigs already but it's just not the same as it used to be, probably because it's not really my genre...or I'm getting old :)
Anyway, I have a few songs I'm working on but I'm barely thinking about them because of my 3 first full-lenght projects closing to an end at the same time.

Hmm and maybe that's exactly why this happened? Because you worked the shit out of your "musical brain" and you're pretty much burned out when it comes to music? I remember when Devin Townsend announced that he was officially tired of music and most things, he had burnt himself out, the touring, the interviews, everything had torn him to pieces. Look at the man now, he's coming back with a new album, doing it in his own pace, his own style, and I'm looking forward to it almost as much as a night full of sex with Kristin Kreuk (if that would ever happen).

But so what if it becomes "just a phase" in your life? It probably means you haven't discovered your true art form yet. You shouldn't be afraid of changes... they should be afraid of you :) I was also afraid of changes a couple years ago... I think completely different now.

Do you play in a band? Maybe all you need is a carrot on a stick :)

good post sir!

Nah, im not in a band at the moment, probably never will soon unless it's some simple rock or stoner band.. because i really like studio recording and not really into bandmates and jamming that much.

okay, now im off to google Kristin Kreuk.. brb roflbbq.

Yeah I'm working on mixes almost all of the time, too. As far as writing goes, however, It's a different story. When my first band broke up a few years ago I kept recording all kinds of ideas and it was cool because I was not limited to any particular genre. Then I really wanted to play with a drummer because it helps me come up with stuff. I couldn't find one but anyway now I really missed playing on stage and the whole feeling you get before a gig. A few months ago a band asked me to join them and I accepted and we've done 3 gigs already but it's just not the same as it used to be, probably because it's not really my genre...or I'm getting old :)
Anyway, I have a few songs I'm working on but I'm barely thinking about them because of my 3 first full-lenght projects closing to an end at the same time.

Aye, i must say.. mixing im perfectly allright with you know.. bring on the music and i'll mix and master it, it's mostly my own writing process im on about.

For some reason I have a problem with writing at the moment as well. It's hard to get into the zone and focus when you got work and everything else cluttering up your day. It was a breeze in highschool. I think im also having trouble because of how I've been listening to music recently. At the moment im not hearing music as much for the band and what they wrote, but for it's production. I find myself thinking "thats a great guitar tone" or "that snare is awesome" way more than "that part was really cool," and thinking about a cool bassdrum sound isnt much inspiration for riffage.

Once I started to branch out and get into other things, luthiery, etc., even though my writing and playing happens far less, it's more enjoyable and more productive. When I was trying to focus on it, I was always going through periods of feeling totally burned out and even getting frustrated. Not anymore.

Just last night I sat down after having not played guitar in at least a couple weeks and had a long jam session over some backing tracks that I have and I played better than I've played in ages. I may not sit down and try to write music for several weeks now, but I know that when I do it will be totally enjoyable. I'm an advocate of having multiple hobbies!

Any specific reason as to why you don't wanna play in bands dude? I'm becoming more and more of a studio guy myself... used to be all about bands in the early years of my music life but since our band broke up I've been trying to go strong solo. Guess it's just to keep myself busy, but I do enjoy it so no problem there.

Anyway, it's so hard to talk about this because... as always with human emotions, there are a million strings attached. I don't know you personally so trying to figure out the "source" of the "problem" is kinda futile. There might be a crystal clear source/problem, or there might simply not be one at all. You could be changing as a person, but I somehow doubt that. Even though I don't know you, the impression I get from you is that music is your thing, and whatever happens, you will continue with it.

Don't worry about it dude, let it take its time. I don't believe anything bad can come out of it, whatever will happen will result in a positive outcome in the end.

Man I'm in such a rut right now. Sometimes it feels like:

the clouds will part and the sky cracks open
and god himself will reach his fucking arm through
just to push you down
ju ju ju just to hold you down

Seriously, I have nothing lately. I don't even know what direction I want to go in, musically . . . I'm also very impatient when it comes to writing. I need an awe inspiring moment to satisfy.

Non of this is good for results & thats why I haven't posted anything at all since I've been in this forum. I'm just ashamed and not happy with my results.:erk:

The only thing that really scares me is not being able to write good music after each break I take. That's TERRIFYING to me, because writing down music is my life. I could always improve on my production, but with writing it's different...

And now I'm on one of my breaks, the longest i've taken actually, because I can't find the inspiration...

I suggest buying a new guitar... or a new amp... Some type of new gear. That always seemed to help me (back when I still cared about writing my own music). Rest assured, Mr. Neon Bob, the music you've posted here is great/awesome/creative/original/beautiful/etc. My post count should express the fact that I'm a quiet guy. I don't post unless I have something worth while to say. I'm breaking my normal silence to say this... the talent that you have is not something that can go away. You may need to take a break from it now and then, but the Toxic Grind Machine MUST continue churning... You have no choice :)

Anyone else have this as well?

I have this as well and often. You go from not wanting more than to play, write and record to not wanting anything to do with music, it turns all academic and boring. Like you appreciate music for its technical properties, but it doesn't move you anymore.

Or at least thats the way it happens for me. I am bi-polar though.

Sometimes you just forget how cool it feels and as such you don't bother trying.

The best way to get around this is to just force yourself to write/record even when you dont expect it to be good. Just do it and record it. Its all practice after all, so it can't hurt thinking like that.

Hey Bob,

I released my 3rd album in 3 years last October. After every album I have a "post-album depression" which has the following phases:

a) happiness about the release (for 5-10 days when the immediate feedback comes in)
b) numbness and "don't care"-attitude (for 2-3 months)
c) thinking about the next release and doubting myself that I can come up with anything good
d) starting to make music in a totally different direction (like now the SATO stuff)
e) slowly coming back with ideas and good sounds for the Faderhead project

It has been like this for every release. Right now I am at the e) part again. Thank god.

It happens to everyone in one way or another. Just start a new hobby and you'll go back to music at some point.