Anyone else as manic with music as i am?

Yeah I hear ya. I sometimes have this feeling of overstimulation. Like there's too much and my ears get tired quite fast. I usually abandon music for quite some time then and get back to it when I feel like it. Sometimes it's days or weeks before I start listening to something again, or even write something on my own.

In my case, I feel like I loose some admiration for the beauty in music if I overdo it, like almost abusing it. Then it's more like a product and less of an art itself.
I perceive music as dull and blunt then. It is weird but my passion for music in all its glory ALWAYS comes back and it never avoids me completely.

Music fills every single minute in my live (I'm even going to bed with an ipod playing the latest roughmix every night....my trusted AKG 240....pains me that I can't sleep on the side anymore because of those headphones, lol)). I'm never fully happy with a mix so I'm working every possible minute till the deadline, and just after that the next band is coming and it starts over again.
I'm lucky for having such an understanding fiancee

Streber :heh:

:headbang:

Bob, all I'm gonna say is that whenever I listen to the music I've created in the past, I get inspired by hearing how fucking awesome I am, and I know that even though it's a hell of an effort to write more, the satisfaction of realizing how even more awesome I am at the end is well worth it :lol: And considering the fact that your music is absolutely astounding, you should have no trouble finding similar inspiration! However, I also feel if you expect it to be opposite extremes like you mentioned, of course you're setting yourself out for failure; as often as possible I try to just open up a session (either one in progress or a new one) and record something; I'll get fed up quick, but I refuse to close the session until I have SOMETHING, and then go play video games or something. So that's what works for me! (though it doesn't exactly lend itself to fast progress, but this is just a hobby for me, so fast progress is NOT worth it if it's no fun!)

EDIT: And despite the fact that I rarely post anything, I do write quite a bit - but this year, it's all been for my band, so I haven't wanted to post it until it's fully recorded with vox and such. But here's the framework (programmed drums and guitars) for one of our songs if anyone's curious!

Oh, and I don't mean to insult the production people here, but my biggest fear is that I'd start to focus more on production over my own music; production is the path of less resistance, IMO, since it's mostly technical, but I'll NEVER get the same satisfaction from getting a good guitar tone (especially if it's for someone else) as I will listening to a piece of music that I created. Doesn't mean I won't do both, but I always have to remind myself where my priorities are, and why I started getting into production in the first place (to make my own music sound as good as possible).

Music is so treacherous but oh so beautiful (sometimes even more beautiful than Kristin Kreuk! Hahaha I keep going on and on about her...). It also happens to me that I forget what music is about and how much fun it is. Usually doesn't take more than 3 days of a break until I forget what it feels like, then when I pick it up again, it's like.... unleash the orgasm!

I left my guitar at my rehearsal place a week ago and haven't played any since then... surprisingly, when I don't play guitar, I get loads of riffs in my head instead, so I just pick up my acoustic here at home whenever that happens and just recorded on to my phone. But the hard part is arranging it all and getting it together later when I have like 50 riffs :|

Music...

Sometimes you just need a break. I have the same feeling if I inundate myself with one particular musical style week after week, even just listening to music. I'll go through bouts where I love metal, blues, classic rock, prog, whatever. I always come back to each of them. I never stop listening to one completely, but just take breaks sometimes. I also occupy myself with other interestes and hobbies.
-Joe

Aye, good to read that more people have this as well.. must be that time of the year as well were people hit a creativity low point as well no?
Cheers all, hopefully i can just get to write some stuff soon again!

Aye, good to read that more people have this as well.. must be that time of the year as well were people hit a creativity low point as well no?
Cheers all, hopefully i can just get to write some stuff soon again!

Yeah man, take a break...

Read a book, take the woman out (or go find one, :p), chill with friends, find an additional hobby. Music will always be there if you hold it dear to you!

-Joe

If i cant play guitar for a week or so, i seriously get anxiety attacks.
I have a real issue with music, probably because its basically the only way for me to really express my self/release my feelings.

I assumed this was all part of the artistic process. I just wrote my first song in almost a year a couple months ago and since then have penned many more. I'm sure its mostly to completely psychological in nature. I'm sure we can all relate that the feeling of crafting a brand new song is almost ecstasy. Pursue it as long as you are passionate.

Especially you, mr black neon bob, you're an inspiration to all of us so you have that uphold :p Just kidding, no pressure, though I'm sure we'd all love to hear your newest.

I was in a horrible rut for awhile. I got out of it by simply changing the tuning I was in. It was that easy! Instead of chugging on a B, I'm now chugging on a Db! Haha. It worked though and thats all I care about.

[edit:] I also told myself i wouldn't have any limits. If I wanna write a shitty R&B song, I'm gonna fucking do it!

I was in a horrible rut for awhile. I got out of it by simply changing the tuning I was in. It was that easy! Instead of chugging on a B, I'm now chugging on a Db! Haha. It worked though and thats all I care about.

[edit:] I also told myself i wouldn't have any limits. If I wanna write a shitty R&B song, I'm gonna fucking do it!

That's good thinking, I hate musical limits... especially those that are enforced by the "metal community" like as if life is about metal and nothing else. Sorry to anyone who lives a 100% metal life but that's just pathetic and sad :) I just happen to like metal generally as my primary type of music, not because it's cool but because it's so wide and expressive.

About the tuning, that's some true shit! When I was in a standard tuning with the normal intervals (EADGBE for example), I wrote mostly shit riffs, with an occasional good and unique riff here and there. The rest were just Nevermore-death metal type of riffs, but still with E tuning. It just sounded fucked and I couldn't get out of it so I tried Dev's tuning but modified it slightly and I've discovered a whole different side of my self ever since. Broke free from all bad circles completely.

That's good thinking, I hate musical limits... especially those that are enforced by the "metal community" like as if life is about metal and nothing else. Sorry to anyone who lives a 100% metal life but that's just pathetic and sad :) I just happen to like metal generally as my primary type of music, not because it's cool but because it's so wide and expressive.

About the tuning, that's some true shit! When I was in a standard tuning with the normal intervals (EADGBE for example), I wrote mostly shit riffs, with an occasional good and unique riff here and there. The rest were just Nevermore-death metal type of riffs, but still with E tuning. It just sounded fucked and I couldn't get out of it so I tried Dev's tuning but modified it slightly and I've discovered a whole different side of my self ever since. Broke free from all bad circles completely.

I was in a horrible rut for a long time because of the band I was in. We tuned to B (which was cool because I'm a 5 string bass player) but after awhile it started to get stale. So I was chatting at a drummer friend of mine and we got on about how it would be cool to do a faster paced grindcore type thing.

I started do my own thing with this in mind and found B to be a little too muddy. I already had one of my guitars tuned to Db, so I grabbed that and started writing a riff that didn't even fit in a scale. So I decided Db was the tuning I was gonna use. Which has been a total blessing in disguise.

Though thats not all true though. Haha. I have one guitar in B, one in Db, and one in Eb. I've written some songs on the guitars in B and Eb and transposed them to Db. Still, my creativity wouldn't have sparked hadn't it been for switching up tunings.

Also, I've never really been a "die hard" metal head. I don't understand how anyone can just write one style of music. Especially the metal community! Most people I know that are into metal don't just love that style of music. Branch out ya'll, shit!

I have no girlfriend, because the last one piss me off taking all the time that i had to write music.... that was two years ago. Since then, i have no other fun besides to write, to listen and to rec music. No shows, no pubs, no drinking, no smoking.... it's just music and bodybuilding. And i haven't released one single work yet, but i think i've already recorded more than one hundred songs. It's all about me and music itself.

I have no girlfriend, because the last one piss me off taking all the time that i had to write music.... that was two years ago. Since then, i have no other fun besides to write, to listen and to rec music. No shows, no pubs, no drinking, no smoking.... it's just music and bodybuilding. And i haven't released one single work yet, but i think i've already recorded more than one hundred songs. It's all about me and music itself.

o_O

Fuck, I actually want a girlfriend who wants me to write music, to give me a push and motivate me haha.