Are Opeth a death metal band?

When they're only slightly connected to death metal, even though the growling is a big factor, I think it's still a bad idea to call it progressive death metal. Because the death metal tag is going to really give people some misconceptions before they even hear the music, misconceptions they don't like, since most people look down on death metal and completely dismiss it as just plain noise.

When they're only slightly connected to death metal, even though the growling is a big factor, I think it's still a bad idea to call it progressive death metal. Because the death metal tag is going to really give people some misconceptions before they even hear the music, misconceptions they don't like, since most people look down on death metal and completely dismiss it as just plain noise.

How will this give misconceptions? Fact is, if people don't like the death metal vocals, then their not going to like it period. Whether or not you call it progressive death metal or progressive metal or anything else for that matter. It may get them to listen to it but it is hardly going to change their mind once they hear it.

And besides, does it really matter if people don't listen to it. Ok, I like Opeth, I really enjoy their music but I don't think they are the be all, end all of musical genious like some people around here proclaim them to be.

we already clearly established that opeth aren't a death metal band, you dolts need to give it up already. this is going in circles now.

Have we? When? Clearly? How come? Why are we still talking about it then, if it's so obvious?

maybe you don't understand but it's been made pretty clear why opeth aren't a death metal band. growling and occasional double bass doesn't make a death metal band, just like acoustic guitars don't make a prog or a folk band.

I have been listening to Opeth for about 2.5 years now, and I see the term progressive thrown around a lot in this forum. I would say there is definitely something about progressive music that keeps me interested, as I also have been listening to Dream Theater for several years. I'm still not quite sure what I'm looking for in the song that makes it progressive though. Can someone please point out a point in a song, any song, that would help me understand and say, "Ah, yes, that's what makes them progressive."

The simple answer is 'No' they are not a straight death metal band, but 'Yes' they do use elements of death metal in their songs along with many other varying influences.

Can we leave it at that?