Are Opeth a death metal band?

cob are a power metal band eos. job for a cowboy are a metalcore/deathcore/whateverthefuck band - they're certainly not death metal, though. we could sit here and argue about wikipedia's usefulness for metal genres all day long, but it's not going to get to the point.

in case nobody noticed yet...

opeth are not a death metal band. ftlog eos.

Okay. They don't have power metal vocals, they don't have power metal lyrics, they don't really have power metal musical themes in their music. They have a keyboard but that doesn't make them power metal.

There are some tracks on Follow the reaper that are a bit power metalesque but thats about it. ie kissing the shadows, children of decadance.

Okay. They don't have power metal vocals, they don't have power metal lyrics, they don't really have power metal musical themes in their music. They have a keyboard but that doesn't make them power metal.

There are some tracks on Follow the reaper that are a bit power metalesque but thats about it. ie kissing the shadows, children of decadance.

there's plenty of power metal lyrics and musical themes, and the only thing that makes them death metalesque are the screams. ie - they're a power metal band with screams. eos ftlog.

The only thing that makes them power metal is their keyboard... Thats not enough in my eyes. Their first album is like almost black metal.

The only thing that makes them power metal is their keyboard... Thats not enough in my eyes. Their first album is like almost black metal.

you may need to listen again if you think that's black metal. there's no defining characteristics of black metal save for some tremolo picking and blasting.

you may need to listen again if you think that's black metal. there's no defining characteristics of black metal save for some tremolo picking and blasting.

In the shadows and Red Light in my eyes dude I'm not talking about Hatebreeder. Take the midrange and bass out of their guitar amps and vocals and you've got black metal.